Primer paint, cheap or Tamiya?

miriya

Okay so I am going to be building a diorama kit made by Tundrayeti and I want it to turn out nice. I have bought some nice Tamiya spray colors but was wondering if I should drop the $15 (including shipping) to get Tamiya pirmer spray or if I should just go to the hardware store and buy a $3 can of Krylon or Rustoleum primer spray.

Is Tamiya primer that much better?

What do you think?

I am using Tamiya TS and AS sprays after the primer, followed by weathering wash, dullcoat and maybe some detailing with the Tamiya weathering makeup kits.

Miriya....

I would suggest going the cheaper route IMO. I have been building an assortment of diorama's and to be honest one of the best primers I have found to work on virtually anything is a product called "Painters touch" by Rust-oleum. Its a wet or dry sandable primer that doesn't melt plastic, and drys fast. I've used it in every build so far, and also it provides a nice flat color too. (my 1/100 scale hanger was painted almost completely with this primer, and in the current "Tomahawk Hanger" build all the gray structure pieces as well as the base floor are painted with this same sandable primer.

This is just my suggestion but I know it has worked pretty good for my diorama's. B))

Blue

Hey all! The material I used was PVC so make sure you buy a paint that will work with that type of plastic. Pretty much any plastic bonding paint should work I haven't run into any problems yet. My preferred paint is the Testor's Model Masters Primer Grey. it really gives that military dull ship feel and you only have to do 1 or 2 coats. Hope this helps.

Edited by tundrayeti

Awesome! Thanks for the tips. Looks like I will be saving $12! That is good. In the long run I will save even more. Then I can buy more of the other supplies I need.

Don't discount the Tamiya product. I agree that its a bit overkill for large undetailed panels, but the product (regular and fine) are excellent as a primer for regular modeling. It settles well and does not wash out details, which is critical if you're building an aircraft model.