Tester Model Master or other preferred paint for 1/48 plastic?

RCB

For those who have taken their 1/48 Yamato's to model level so to speak, what paints have you worked with? I have the most experience with the Model Master line, but have no idea how it works with the plastics used on these particular ones. I imagine they used a more durable plastic for the "figure" lines.

Thank you. I had searched, but everything I found was in regards to models. I have ran into some plastics that just wouldn't take some paints.

Thanks again.

Look up member topics from Kurt, Jung, or wmcheng.

Lot's of good stuff.

The search function is your friend.

Much like my previous searches, I didnt find anything on the Model Master paints on 1/48 Yamato's. Just have to do it the old fashioned way. :) Ill let everyone know how it goes.

Here this should sum it for you.

Customizing and Painting 101

The search function works, all YOU have to do is read through the results.

^_^

Hey RCB,

I'm relatively new here too and the search feature here took me a little while to get used to. Actually, searching on any forum takes a bit of time to familarise yourself with! They're all just a little bit different, it seams.

This site, if memory serves, defaults to only showing search results for a given time period (30 days or something?). So go to the advanced search and make sure you select "any date" from the list. Once you've done that, that option's locked in.

Of course, if you've done all that, my apologies!

Well I read through a couple hundred posts last night without any success. Although, I did find many beautiful pieces.

As none of you actually KNOW me, you wouldn't know that I am a very meticulous in searches. In fact, the post you linked didn't mention model masters at all. They do talk about the testor flat acrylics, which I would guess to be model masters. While some of you don't build many models, paints can be very fickle depending on what you are applying them to. Further, it looks to be geared towards model kits, not the Yamato toy plastics. Some plastics can be "oily" and accept certain paints, like lacquers much better that say, acrylics. Different brands are more "hard" than others. I know many prefer Tamiya paints, but just due to my many years with the Model Master series I not only have the experience applying them, I also have a gracious variety.

While I find humor in cynicism, I would advise patience before launching unfounded criticism. I was sincere in my effort and questions, so there is no need for antagonism. Before my first question I had done many searches.

My question wasn't about technique, but rather the application of a specific paint on a specific material. Unfortunately the search engine for this site doesn't seem to accept boolean searches.

Ultimately I was fine with not finding information, and decided to explore it on my own.

Edited by RCB

Thanks,

I have never really gotten to use Tamiya much. I think mainly due to most of my early modeling being historical aircraft and local availability.

One of these days I may give it a go though. I have a 1/72 VE-1 that I still need to get started on, maybe I will have to pick up some Tamiyas.

Thanks,

I have never really gotten to use Tamiya much. I think mainly due to most of my early modeling being historical aircraft and local availability.

One of these days I may give it a go though. I have a 1/72 VE-1 that I still need to get started on, maybe I will have to pick up some Tamiyas.

My biggest gripe is that I've had lousy luck with Testor's brand Model Master sprays clogging up and/or having tooth problems resulting in uneven spray. :angry:

I have never had an issue with Tamiya spray paints, and the tooth seems to provide a finer spray than the Testor's stuff. There are other brands other members may like better than Tamiya; I started using it due to local availability.

BTW, please post pics of what you are working on.

Edited by Wicked Ace

• 2 weeks later...
My biggest gripe is that I've had lousy luck with Testor's brand Model Master sprays clogging up and/or having tooth problems resulting in uneven spray. :angry:

I have never had an issue with Tamiya spray paints, and the tooth seems to provide a finer spray than the Testor's stuff. There are other brands other members may like better than Tamiya; I started using it due to local availability.

BTW, please post pics of what you are working on.

I've worker with Testors stuff before good color but has some issues wit drying if not careful can rub away if a acid is anywhere near it before it dries. Usually I dry it with a hair dryer and mix a bit of thinner and the right amount of Microscale for strength the combination in an air brush makes for a stronger more even coat of paint. Also I like to thoroughly sand my surface before painting which is extremely helpful. A 900grid give more stick than 1000 grit. Testors is more about economics but if there is a sale try Tamiya for a finer finish.

Although I haven't painted my Yamato Valkyries yet, I have done a few Transformers customs using Testor's Model Master. I have done other custom work such as McFarlane Sportspicks, and various resin and vinyl model kits, but for something that needs durability, I found that the Model Master paints faired very well.

I think Model Master paints will be good on the Valkyries as long as you do a thorough prep job by laying a good underlying primer. As with Transformer customs, there is still the likeliness for paint rubbing especially between tight joints. But with my experience with customs, enamels and lacquers are far more durable than acrylics. Aside from making sure you have a solid prep job, it is equally important to make sure your enamels have a full 100% cure dry time. I go as far as waiting 10 - 14 days for my enamels to cure on my Transformer customs. The biggest thing I notice with waiting this long is that it minimizes paint chipping or scratching. Keep in mind, there are many factors that need to be considered when waiting for enamels to cure: weather/temperature, humidity, etc.

I plan on doing a Minmay Guard custom Valkyrie and will definitely be using Model Master Paints. I will say that I don't use spray cans when I paint with Model Master. I strictly use an dual-action airbrush. So others will have varying experiences with this brand depending on medium.