3d Printer

tundrayeti

very cool Thor what machine/service did you use to print? i went the cnc route because the modeling was easier and so was the time and material. That's pretty much the idea I has when I started this thread. Love what you have done. looking forward to more.

The missiles came out great! How about some 1/200th ones ;) - MT

I can quote you a price to print out some just for you....i'll have to check the minimum wall thickness of the printer. You could then cast them yourself?

I use our 3d printer at work and my company charges me per cubic inch of material.

poor/fuzzy picture of my 1/48 destroid: barrel a little bit too long....hahaha

post-1862-1271159472_thumb.jpg

:)

so freakin cool!

I can quote you a price to print out some just for you....i'll have to check the minimum wall thickness of the printer. You could then cast them yourself?

I use our 3d printer at work and my company charges me per cubic inch of material.

poor/fuzzy picture of my 1/48 destroid: barrel a little bit too long....hahaha

post-1862-1271159472_thumb.jpg

so freakin cool!

Very sweet! I may have to send you some stuff Thor.

Very sweet! I may have to send you some stuff Thor.

michaelwaynenellis@yahoo.com is my e-mail

i need .stl files already in the size/scale you want and i can give you a quote.

it takes about 10 days to turn things around after payment.

hollow your parts out to at least 1-2mm thick.

-THOR (Mike)

• 1 month later...

I'm currently trying to make an alternative head for Transformers Binaltech Arcee. I asked a few scanning bureaus for quotes on getting the two pieces below scanned and they were quoting between $500 to $800. :o The $500 was from the $90/hour place.

ArceeImage1.jpg

Apparently many people are raving about the NextEngine 3D Desktop Scanner, but I don't want to blow $3000 just to scan a dozen or so small parts.

Alternatively there is the DAVID laserscanning system, but apparently unless you are really good at mechanical engineering type applications it a very clumsy system.

So if anyone has access to a scanner and wants to do a fellow MWer a decent deal let me know... :)

So $500, are they trying to get you to pay one of the down payments on their system, that seems steep to me.

Apparently all of the small recessed areas make it difficult to scan. It would require many passes and allot of clean-up work. :(

I'm currently trying to make an alternative head for Transformers Binaltech Arcee. I asked a few scanning bureaus for quotes on getting the two pieces below scanned and they were quoting between $500 to $800. :o The $500 was from the $90/hour place.

ArceeImage1.jpg

Apparently many people are raving about the NextEngine 3D Desktop Scanner, but I don't want to blow $3000 just to scan a dozen or so small parts.

Alternatively there is the DAVID laserscanning system, but apparently unless you are really good at mechanical engineering type applications it a very clumsy system.

So if anyone has access to a scanner and wants to do a fellow MWer a decent deal let me know... :)

You really don't need a scanner for these squarish pieces. You could send me the pieces, I could easily measure them by hand with a caliper and draw them in solidworks. Tell me what you wanted changed and we could get a new face plate printed in 10 days.

-Thor

You really don't need a scanner for these squarish pieces. You could send me the pieces, I could easily measure them by hand with a caliper and draw them in solidworks. Tell me what you wanted changed and we could get a new face plate printed in 10 days.

-Thor

Thanks Thor :)

I ended up using a standard flatbed scanner and scanned the backs of the pieces along with a ruler at 600dpi and measuring templates from that. It's for a new head for Transformers Binaltech Arcee for which I am doing a 3D a re-sculpt but I wanted 3D scans to work with to make sure I got the dimensions right, otherwise it wont fit on the ball joint or might be over-sized which would stop it from being able to transform properly.

I think I'm most of the way there now:

arceeWIP_05.jpg

The price for the service just blew me away tho, all I needed is raw 3D scan data to rework, I don't even need the scans to be cleaned or joined.

So if you know someone who can do cheap scans there is a bunch or Mospeada stuff I would like to do... ;)

• 5 years later...