VF-1J Millia Super Fighter Hasegawa 1/72

denversaur

Here's the newest addition to my squadron of Hasegawa 1/72 Macross buildups. A kit of Millia's Super Fighter was never actually released, but it was an easy conversion...essentially a mashup of two existing kits.

I started with the original VF-1J release (Hikaru deco, molded in white) and added the super parts / fast packs from the VF-1A movie version.

There was a somewhat rare (and really neat) two-pack sold featuring Max and Millia's fighters, but I didn't use it. The box art was stunning...the fighters were molded in blue and red, respectively. This however posed a problem in painting--with so much white involved, in was much easier to start with a kit molded in white than to cover up red or blue with white paint. That's why I used the Hikaru version, which does include the decals for all three schemes.

I chose Testors Guards Red, a beautiful, classic crimson red--perfect for Millia's signature scheme. Added details included the 1/72 weapon set (for the Reactor Bombs), and a customized pilot figure--modified from the movie-style flight suit to be accurate to the original TV series (although very small, I can attest to having re-sculpted Millia's curvy figure in 1/72 scale).

The finishing is a combination of Testors and Tamiya Acrylic. I've seen some different variations on Millia's armor scheme--for reference I looked at Macross: Perfect Memory and the Best Hit Series: Macross TV book from the 80s.

The base is a wood plaque covered with stone fleck, the second tier is an art board, the image is from NASA archives, printed and applied with spray mount. The support post is brass.

I really like the movie aesthetic, but also have an appreciation for the designs from the original TV series. It was fun to revisit it with Millia's VF-1J, as it appeared in the pivotal episode Aiwa Nagareru ("Force of Arms" in Robotech). Thanks for checking it out!

-Greg

VF1JMillia1.jpg

VF1JMillia2.jpg

VF1JMillia3.jpg

Thanks for the kind words. I thought about the Bandai 1/72 Super Fighter kits from 80s when building this one. The spray I used for the super parts--Tamiya Intermediate blue, is very close to what Bandai used for the box photos. As for the leg armor, although some interpretations go with red, supplemental material in Macross: Perfect Memory and the Macross Super Plastic Modeling Manual showed blue-grey--which I liked--and chose to go with.

• 2 weeks later...