What DVDs to get next?

Godzilla

Yes, I am more of a newbie. Let's just say I am a convert from the Robotech once I saw the Macross series from Animego. Yes I knew Macross existed because I watched the DRYL movie in Hong Kong. Though, being a "banana" Chinese american born, and did not understand Cantonese real well, I read the subtitles. Then saw the English abominat--- errr version of it as Clash of the Binoids. I have seen Macross Plus and I bought the VHS tapes in English (I am sorry I did) but it was for my brother. The DVDs I have are the Robotech series and now the Macross series. Yes I bought the Mospeda series as well. I won't buy Southern Cross because I think it is just too messed up. Never did like the "Robotech Masters" Series anyways. Now my question is what next? Sure I will get macross plus but that is later. I want to know which is good to get and which is good to skip. I keep hearing how Macross 7 really blows and such... Opinions are fine... I already heard about Macross II opinions on it. :ph34r:

M2 is cool if you like DYRL.

Macross 7 is worth it for the story continuity ONLY, that is unless you like anime like Salor moon... If that is the case I can't help you.

You should just read M7 on the Macross Compendium web site... it isn't even worth the download and the time to watch it, even if it is free, it is too much.

Macross 7 is worth it for the story continuity ONLY, that is unless you like anime like Salor moon... If that is the case I can't help you.

You should just read M7 on the Macross Compendium web site... it isn't even worth the download and the time to watch it, even if it is free, it is too much.

What he said...

Can't speak to M2, never saw it.

I downloaded the first two eps of Mac 7, and the 30 minutes I spent watching the first episode is time that I will never get back. It just sucked, and the animation sucked, they re-used the same freaking piece of animation like 5 times in the same episode, which wouldn't have mattered if it had been animated well, but it was not.

Get Flashback 2012, it's interesting enough and cheap enough, plus you get some new footage.

Get Mac Zero definitely.

What he said...

Can't speak to M2, never saw it.

I downloaded the first two eps of Mac 7, and the 30 minutes I spent watching the first episode is time that I will never get back. It just sucked, and the animation sucked, they re-used the same freaking piece of animation like 5 times in the same episode, which wouldn't have mattered if it had been animated well, but it was not.

Get Flashback 2012, it's interesting enough and cheap enough, plus you get some new footage.

Get Mac Zero definitely.

Yeah I don't know how Macross Zero slipped my mind... both Treatment and Mechamaniac are right.

I keep hearing how Macross 7 really blows and such... Opinions are fine... I already heard about Macross II opinions on it. :ph34r:

For every 48 people here that like it, 51 love it. Check out this old thread.

With Macross, like many other works in life, IMHO, it's best to at least view all the parts of the set, and then decide for yourself which parts you liked and which parts you didn't. The tone of Macross 7 is very different, though, and even the people who love it best admit that it takes a few eps to get into.

Well, in other words, I reccommend everything you don't have. You should go to Best Buy and get Macross Plus and Macross II. Then poke around on the internet for the DVDs that haven't been commercially released here (I get a lot of my DVDs at Animeniacs.net, but I'm not sure what Macross stuff they have). Those ones would be DYRL, Flashback 2012, Macross 7 (I do know they have the complete FX set, which includes the movie, encore, OVAs, and Macross 7 Plus bits), and volumes 1 and 2 of Macross Zero. Volume 3 should be out pretty soon. And there's that 20th Anniversary DVD out, too... get that if you're feeling really hardcore.

I keep hearing how Macross 7 really blows and such... Opinions are fine... I already heard about Macross II opinions on it.  :ph34r:

For every 48 people here that like it, 51 love it. Check out this old thread.

Pay no attention to that survey as it wasn't one... It was just a gathering of M7 fans, I must say I am amazed for such a crappy show, M7 does have some hard core fans. But then again Elton John, Tiny Tim, and Boy George had fans too. <_<