as great as DYRL is.....

pondo

Weird. Never had any trouble following the action in any Macross production.

But now that I think about it, that's kinda strange. I mean, in Macross (and much of anime) the directors and animators are always using weird, unconventional camera angles and compositions to stylistically visualize the action. Often they used angles that, until the era of CGI, were not possible with live action. Yet I've never had any trouble following what's going on. Maybe I've been programmed by anime since childhood :)

Edited by Mr March

It's understandable - if one has never seen SDF:M.

Mind you, the chaos may have been exactly what the people behind Macross were aiming for - it's an anti-war series, afterall.

Personally, the only problem I have had with DYRL is seeing what's going on in a few shots because of low contrast. I assume this is due to the quality of the DVD I have because I remember reading that the last release of the DVD in Japan had the frames digitally cleaned and correcting coloring mistakes (it's like the stormtrooper hitting his head on the door in Star Wars ep4, once you know it's there you can't NOT see it). I still go back and pause it in certain scenes and go through it frame by frame to see what's actually going on (eg. Max/Milia dogfight, opening battle scene,etc.).

Despite that, it's one of my favorite films.

I never had any trouble following it, either, which is kind of amazing considering...

A) I was twelve when I first saw it.

B) It was a crappy third or fourth generation VHS tape where everybody looked like they were underwater and the picture fuzzed out any time there was an explosion.

C) It didn't have subtitles and I didn't know any Japanese.

I found a lot of things confusing about the movie in those days of watching it raw, but the final battle wasn't one of them.

I never had any trouble following it, either, which is kind of amazing considering...

B) It was a crappy third or fourth generation VHS tape where everybody looked like they were underwater and the picture fuzzed out any time there was an explosion.

I found a lot of things confusing about the movie in those days of watching it raw, but the final battle wasn't one of them.

Thats how I first saw DYRL, 1985, 9 y/o. Didn't know a word of Japanese. Awesome anime, tons of stuff blew up and the music blew my mind!!! After that I was a Macross fan 4 life!! B))

Ditto, I used to have problems following the action scenes such as the first dogfight. Mostly because the quality of the tape was so bad, and because it was pretty fast action compared to what I normally used to watch on TV. I recall not knowing how the heck Max ended up in the position where he could fire on that Zentradi's head with his cannon still mounted to his arm. I didn't even realize Roy had his Strike booster in that fight because the tape quality was that bad. :wacko: All the Zentradi interior ship scenes were very dark and I couldn't tell where they were or what the rooms or bridge of the ship looked like.

There's a lot of nice detail in some of the frames that just blurrs by at times. Once my brother got the laserdisc it was all very clear to me and I could follow the action much better.

Hmmm... that reminds me. The first time I saw the movie was in the "Clash of the Bionoids" format. The action was infinitely easier to understand than the dub!

"You can still fight when yer drunk."

"The man."

<shudders>