R-Type Tactics for PSP > Macross patch?

I have been completely addicted to R-type tactics ever since I downloaded the .ISO a while ago. It`s a really great game imo. However every time I play it I can`t help thinking how much cooler it would be if that Arrowhead was a VF-1A. And how during the cut scene instead of swerving to avoid the shot it went to battroid and lurched backwards while firing off an Itano circus in response. And if the Bydo were patched over with the Zentraudi or the Vajra. The problem of fitting SDF fortresses on screen would be overcome by not making them playable units but a background of either its internal areas or alongside it.

My question is are there any Macross heads out there with the skills and motivation to somehow "patch" the R-type tactics engine with new sprites based on Macross, new story, new backgrounds and new cut scenes? It would be a hell of a task and I don`t know if its even possible in amateur circles but it sure would be cool.

Unfortunately I have no skills but I would be happy to contribute to the planning and idea generating if this idea is even possible/desirable??

Edited by MilSpex

I've never seen anything like this done for an .ISO. PC games like Doom regularly have their code and/or tools available for the mod community to create new content. Handheld titles have basically no mod community in that sense and as such you will probably never see mods of this nature. Not to mention R-Type Dommand didn't do so hot (though I personally enjoyed it) so there is probably even less of a chance of it happening if it were at all possible.

'S been done for a few console/handheld games. Usually much older ones.

Giving RType Command/Tactics a complete conversion would involve a LOT of work.

Text and resprite shouldn't be absurdly difficult. Not more than any other hack.

The cutscenes are rendered in real-time, which ... probably makes the convert+fire-back animation impossible without a large-scale rewrite of that portion of the code.

The hard part of just swapping models would be making the models. But the game doesn't have any sort of advanced animation for the cut-in sequences that I've seen(I admit to not getting really far into it). I doubt transformation is possible in the cut-ins with the current code.

It's not IMPOSSIBLE, but... writing a new game from the ground up would almost certainly be easier. Which is why it won't happen.

Besides, the Macross and ROMhacking communities don't seem to have a large degree of overlap.

Otherwise we'd have english PCEngine games, right?

Thankyou to Kaio and JBO for enlightening me as to the complexities of modding. I guess the idea is a non starter.

Rather than mod, closest you can get to a SLG type macross game is Super Robot Wars Alpha 3. They have the cutscens u describe there. ;)

Thanks, I`ll check it out although Valkyries facing off against mecha from other franchises doesn`t really excite me.

Edited by MilSpex

Thankyou to Kaio and JBO for enlightening me as to the complexities of modding. I guess the idea is a non starter.

Thanks, I`ll check it out although Valkyries facing off against mecha from other franchises doesn`t really excite me.

Eternal Love Song, on the TurboGrafx/PC Engine.

You don't get the shiny graphics and the cut-ins, but... it's a 100% Macross SRPG.

Eternal Love Song, on the TurboGrafx/PC Engine.

You don't get the shiny graphics and the cut-ins, but... it's a 100% Macross SRPG.

Wow, I`ve actually had that for a couple of years but my Super CD Rom and PC Engine have been packed up and I haven`t got around to playing it.

Wow, I`ve actually had that for a couple of years but my Super CD Rom and PC Engine have been packed up and I haven`t got around to playing it.

You're ahead of me.

I MIGHT have downloaded the disk image. I honestly don't remember.

I know I never played it, though I beat 2036.