Ok started off on the wrong foot.

ErikElvis

It seems most of the macross stuff available is in japanese. What is a good place to buy these with english subs. I was looking into macross 7, macross zero, macross frontier.

Any help would be appreciated,

Erik

None of them are available legally with English subs.

really? hmmm

Yep.

Of course, there ARE other avenues available...fansubs are probably the best.

If you ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE them on DVD, you can always go for the Hong Kong or Malaysian bootlegs...but video, audio and sub quality varies widely. Some are nearly professional, others are garbled or just plain wrong.

If you ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE them on DVD, you can always go for the Hong Kong or Malaysian bootlegs...but video, audio and sub quality varies widely. Some are nearly professional, others are garbled or just plain wrong.

I've seen a couple unscrupulous comic shops in the US selling bootleg Macross DVDs, but from what I've heard they're just commonly available hard-subbed fansubs burned to DVD.

Even if you really want to view on a DVD player, if you're computer literate I strongly suggest downloading the fansubs and using a DVD building program to burn them. Fansubs and bootlegs both give no money to the creator, but a bootleg for sale means someone is actually making profit off the piracy.

That said, the mood and style vary greatly between all the Macross series, so don't go into any of them expecting what you've seen before, and if it's not your style try one of the other ones. :)

Install K-lite codec pack. www.codecguide.com.

I've never come across that site before, Gubaba.

Animesuki.com is a good choice for a torrent site. As for which are good, I recommend L-E or G_P for DYRL, Lunar, Menclave, or THORA for Frontier, and all the living torrents for Zero are good. A lot of high quality groups subbed that one.

UTorrent is the best client in my book.

Ok Im trying to download episodes 1-5 of zero but its saying its gonna take 3 weeks :blink:

Torrents can be slow starters sometimes. They usually pick up well enough. If it really does take forever, look for a different torrent with more seeds, or download an episode or two of one of the other series to see. None of the series are direct followups on another, so as long as you basically know what Macross is about you don't have to finish one before starting another.

The quality is dependant on the quality you download and just how much crappy mpeg2 compression you add when converting them. You're adding compression atop compression atop compression. Don't expect it to look too hot, particularly with the old Xvid encodes of Zero.

How can you not like the music?!?! Anyone seen my torch?

But regarding DYRL, I believe one our own MW Members did a really good Fan Dub, you may want to look into that.

We see through your deception. Forget torches, where's my flamethrower. ^_^

Please don't abuse the thread. We've given you way too more help than needed. The last one would be Boxtorrents. They have a good version of DYRL.

You can burn the episodes as is. Though I'm guessing you mean as a playable DVD and not a backup. You'll have to convert to mpeg 2, and it's really not worth the trouble. You'd be better off just joining AsianDVDClub and downloading the ISOs. Though if you wish to try, Doom9.org is your best resource.

Please don't abuse the thread. We've given you way too more help than needed. The last one would be Boxtorrents. They have a good version of DYRL.

You can burn the episodes as is. Though I'm guessing you mean as a playable DVD and not a backup. You'll have to convert to mpeg 2, and it's really not worth the trouble. You'd be better off just joining AsianDVDClub and downloading the ISOs. Though if you wish to try, Doom9.org is your best resource.

Abuse the thread? hmmm... I coulda made seperate posts each time. Unfortunately I have never downloaded a show or movie on the internet. Have also never burned a dvd. So I needed all the help I could get. Oh and I had NO clue where to download these things. I appreciate all the help in this thread. And thanks for the sites.