YF 21 Decals

Macette

So last night I had some free time and decided to put the decals on my 21. Has anyone else notices it's really hard to see the "No Step" and "Danger" decals on the 21? The blue makes it hard to see the red. Anyone else feel the same way?

I felt the same way. I don't know why they put red markings on the sticker sheet considering they often copy the hasegawa decals for the respective VFs (they even copied the typo for "NEWEDWARS T.F.C.") and the ones for the YF-21 were white.

Instead, I used an old sticker sheet I had from Takatoys that were meant for the 1/48 VF-1s since the scale looked more or less correct for the markings and had white "No Steps". Even the red markings on those showed up better than the red markings from the yamato sticker sheet. Probably either because the red is brighter or more opaque and thus the blue doesn't show through as much.

On my second YF-21 which I have in battroid mode, I just used the yamato sheet, and you can clearly see the difference in visibility between them the red "Danger" stickers on the fighter and the ones on the battroid. They Yamato ones look almost black.

post-10222-1233346084_thumb.jpgpost-10222-1233346853_thumb.jpg

I see you panel lined your YF-21.. nice... I solve the problem by not putting those stickers on :p They don't appear in the show anyway.

I think the stickers give it a better level of detail and realism, particularly since real world craft have similar markings. Besides, the animators rarely draw much of the details beyond the most basic and even those change from scene to scene. Hehe, can you imagine them trying to draw all that detail?

When they moved to animating the mecha in CG, all the details show up pretty much consistently. You can see the No Steps and other stuff on the VF-0s in Macross Zero (or at least when the view is close enough to see them).

Edited by MacrossJunkie

I hate putting those NO STEP stickers and gave up on stickering my yamato valks after the VF-0S

I feel you, kinda sucks all the time you invest in carefully taking the stickers/not loosing them/putting them on the valk for them to not show properly

and MacrossJunkie that panel lines 21 looks good! I don't enjoy tampering with the toys but I'll have to give it a try since it does makes it look tons better

Real no-steps are supposed to be kinda subtle (and there's regs for what color on what background)---they mess up the camoflage otherwise. Of course, the vast majority of valks have anything BUT subtle camoflage so I doubt it's much of a concern...

I think takatoys' and Anasazi's stickers just have more white backing behind those red NO STEP and DANGER stickers. The white backing tends to let the colors "pop out" more.

That and the aftermarket stickers seem to have less of that blurry, opaque film that Yamato's stickers tend to have.

I put some red NO STEP Anasazi stickers on my blue VF-1J Max, and they look perfectly fine.

If you don't mind the stickers being somewhat oversized, another alternative you might consider is using the extra stickers from the Toynami Beta. They're actually quite high-quality, and they lack that milky, filmy look of your typical Yamato sticker.

the real question is

are valks supposed to have no step area ??? lol

even if I do not think it makes sens to have them on I actually do put them on sometimes :p

Thats true. If they can crash through a building and come out fine I doubt that they would fall apart if someone stepped on a no step region :p