To All Minmay Fans

Macette

The trick I guess is to therefore suggest something WORSE than an anime name - and slowly manipulate them into a fall back position, where they agree that the anime anime name is middle ground... Like so:

WIFE: So, what shall we name our baby? I was thinking Laverne, after my Grandmother...

OTAKU HUSBAND: I totally insist on GIGLI!

WIFE: What!? Like that stupid Ben Affleck movie?! Are you braindead!?

OTAKU HUSBAND: Hey - this is a choice we need to make together right? So - can't I have any input?

WIFE: Of course you can - but we're not naming her GIGLI!! Now Laverne...My Grandmother was such a wonderful sweet old woman - so it'll be a lucky name...

OTAK HUSBAND: I categorically don't agree. What else do you have in mind? Throw some names out there...

WIFE: Oh fine - then...hmm... Betty, Mindy, Cindy, Shawna, Meghan, Karen...

OTAKU HUSBAND: Well, I also like names that start with B and M and S and K... for instance - Britai, Misa, Cyberlord, Sheryl, Minmei, Kremzeek...

WIFE: CYBERLORD!? WHAT THE F-BEEEP-K ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!? I'M NOT NAMING HER CYBERLORD!

OTAKU HUSBAND: Well look, I gave you a whole list - you don't like any of the names?

WIFE: I'M NOT NAMING HER CYBLORD!

OTAKU HUSBAND: Well how about my other suggestions? None of them?

WIFE: Oh - I guess Sheryl is ok...

OTAKU HUSBAND: Fine - then it's either Sheryl or CYBERLORD.

WIFE: You have got to be f-beeep-king kidding me!

OTAKU HUSBAND: Ok - I'll compromise - CYBERLORD 693....

WIFE: WHAT?!

OTAKU HUSBAND: How about Cyberia - you know - like Siberia - but different...

WIFE: No - look - stop! Just stop! Sheryl's fine! We'll call her Sheryl! Ok?

OTAKU HUSBAND: I dunno - Cyberlord has that special something...

WIFE: EITHER WE CALL HER SHERYL OR YOU HAVE NO SAY IN IT AND SHE STAYS LAVERNE!!

OTAKU HUSBAND: OK sweet heart. Calm down. I love you. I'll do what you want. We'll call her Sheryl if it make syou happy.

kiss.

The End

Pete

DAMN YOU PETE! my cheeks are hurting trying to stifle my laugh coz i'm in the office dammit!!

Cyberlord!! LOL!! good one!

Thanks for the laugh. :)

"Minmey's crying! Minmey just shat her dipers! Minmey just spewed her baby food on the wall, Minmey barfed! Minmey burped! Minmey farted!"

It would SO TOTALLY RUIN every good thing you associate with the name... Don't do it guys! :)

Pete

Though if you ended up having a boy, and named him Kaifun...

"Kaifun's crying! Kaifun just shat his diapers! Kaifun just spewed his baby food on the wall, Kaifun barfed! Kaifun burped! Kaifun farted!" and for good measure, let's add: "Kaifun's eating his booger!! Kaifun's having another tantrum!"

That could work. :p

(although god help the parent who hates his kid so much as to name him Kaifun...)

Though if you ended up having a boy, and named him Kaifun...

"Kaifun's crying! Kaifun just shat his diapers! Kaifun just spewed his baby food on the wall, Kaifun barfed! Kaifun burped! Kaifun farted!" and for good measure, let's add: "Kaifun's eating his booger!! Kaifun's having another tantrum!"

That could work. :p

(although god help the parent who hates his kid so much as to name him Kaifun...)

Ok - Now I'm glad I don't have an office ;)

Pete

When my wife and I brought up names for our children (if we had a girl), I brought up Minmei. I, along with what seems the rest of you, got shot down in a blaze of glory on that. My wife is a Macross fan as well, and never liked Minmay, although, I think that was more do to the butchering Robotech did to her. I tried to get creative with girl names, and because my last name fit, that character from Gundam Seed, Lacys (Lacus?) was going to be a second choice. Also, I've never been sure of what Klan's last name really is, since I've seen like 4 or 5 different spellings, but Klan Cline is another option. But I'm probably gonna get shot down on that too. My wife wants to name a girl Kira when that time comes.

As for people with Macross named children, it's my buddy and his wife, both great friends of mine, who have a boy and girl named Max and Miriya. That always has just been a conversation point, and a good story.

When my wife and I brought up names for our children (if we had a girl), I brought up Minmei. I, along with what seems the rest of you, got shot down in a blaze of glory on that. My wife is a Macross fan as well, and never liked Minmay, although, I think that was more do to the butchering Robotech did to her. I tried to get creative with girl names, and because my last name fit, that character from Gundam Seed, Lacys (Lacus?) was going to be a second choice. Also, I've never been sure of what Klan's last name really is, since I've seen like 4 or 5 different spellings, but Klan Cline is another option. But I'm probably gonna get shot down on that too. My wife wants to name a girl Kira when that time comes.

As for people with Macross named children, it's my buddy and his wife, both great friends of mine, who have a boy and girl named Max and Miriya. That always has just been a conversation point, and a good story.

Well, if you wanna use a Gundam name, good luck to you. Lacus is likely to get shot down quickly, as are most of the rest because they sound so weird. Sadly, the only girl name that makes sense is a guy's name in Seed...

As for Klan, I have no idea... What really sends me for a loop is Miriya Lanza, who was named such by her mother, who is a Robotechie-turned Macross fan.

As I said before, Miriya's a real Minmay. Best singing I've ever heard from a 7 year old...

All this reminds me:

I'm gonna name my first kid Lrrr.

Also, I'm gonna name a bunch of my kids after Transformers. "Hey, Optimus Prime, Megatron, siddown. We're gonna have a talk."

That'd be awesome; Twin boys named Optimus Prime and Megatron :)

For those who don't know, it's funny because it's true. In TF Canon, Optimus and Megatron are twin brothers.

Edited by SchizophrenicMC