The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

The Shade

Hey everyone. Hope you all had a nice Christmas and that Santa delivered lots of anime, manga, and other related items under your trees this year.

I got The Girl Who Leapt Through Time DVD Collector's Edition DVD from my parents and at first, it was a great gift. As I sat down to watch it using my table top DVD player, my great gift seemed plagued with an annoying problem. I wanted to watch the film in Japanese with English subs and chose these options in the setup menu. As the film started and the characters started talking, no subs came up. I checked and the subs were active. I also tried turning them off and on, but with no effect. I tried out the other 2 sub tracks included (one for use with English dub translating on screen text and the other for the Japanese commentary), both of these worked fine.

I then decided to try it on my DVD-ROM and all subs worked well on it. There also appeared nothing out of the ordinary about the dialogue subtitles that would have prevented my table top player from displaying them.

I looked online if I could find any other people experiencing this similar problem, but could not find any. At this point, I guess I should also mention that my table top player is 7 years old, but this is also the first time I have ever encountered this problem. I also find it strange that it plays the other 2 sub tracks.

Before asking some friends with newer players to test the DVD, I wanted to get some feedback from you guys and also to see if you have any recommendations on solving this problem (short of buying a new player :p ).

Played fine in my player, perhaps your players settings are overriding your choices? Try going into your players setup menu, and switching the default language to Japanese, and subtitles to English.

Thanks for the suggestion Keith, but unfortunately, it didn't work. I will try it on another table top player and see what that does. If it still doesn't work, I'll contact Kadokawa. If it does work, well I'm screwed. :(

Is this an R1 release?

Yes, it's the collector's edition 2 disc edition (plus the ost included as a 3rd disc). And bad news for me: I tried the disc at a friend's house and it works perfectly. So, it looks like I'm screwed.

Still, like I said above, this is the first time I've ever encountered this issue. Also, as there 2 more sub tracks on the disc and they work perfectly well on my player, I can only conclude that whoever Kadokawa/Bandai hired to encode this disc did something unusual. I wonder if it would be worth it to contact them and report this.

Yes, it's the collector's edition 2 disc edition (plus the ost included as a 3rd disc). And bad news for me: I tried the disc at a friend's house and it works perfectly. So, it looks like I'm screwed.

Still, like I said above, this is the first time I've ever encountered this issue. Also, as there 2 more sub tracks on the disc and they work perfectly well on my player, I can only conclude that whoever Kadokawa/Bandai hired to encode this disc did something unusual. I wonder if it would be worth it to contact them and report this.

Probably not...if most ppl's players are working fine. Its probably just a old player. Perhaps its possible to flash the firmware (though i doubt it since the player's old and all)

Probably not...if most ppl's players are working fine. Its probably just a old player. Perhaps its possible to flash the firmware (though i doubt it since the player's old and all)

I looked into flashing my player's firmware a couple of years ago, but by then, it was already too old. I've had it for 7 years. Just for the heck of it, I think I'm going to send a note to Kadokawa/Bandai and ask them how they authored those subs and see what they say.

• 11 months later...

What's a Table Top Player? Sounds like a stripper that does erotic dances on tables...

For the record, I just watch DVDs on my laptop. Don't have a DVD player seperate from that, or a TV, and my Table Top Player works fine but also has problems with english subs - she just speaks Polish all the time no matter what buttons I press on her set up menu.

Pete

Edited by VFTF1