New Astroboy film - October 2009

taksraven

Thought I would start a discussion thread for this upcoming anime project, if it can be called that. New trailer/teaser available on the internet. Can't watch it myself yet (need a proper connection) but I figured that some may want to talk about it, enjoy....

http://www.moviefone.com/movie/astro-boy/30167/main

Taksraven

cool! I actually haven't seen any of the new series, only having watched the classic.

Should be interesting.

And even though it pretty much has its own thread, their next project that they are working on is GATCHAMAN!!!! YAY!!!!!!!

Taksraven

oh man, looks dope!! I'll see that!

for a moment I thought I was gonna see Speedracer styling and shrugged in disgust, but glad it wasn't ^_^

Has there ever been an anime/live action crossover that really worked?

Taksraven

• 2 weeks later...
And even though it pretty much has its own thread, their next project that they are working on is GATCHAMAN!!!! YAY!!!!!!!

Taksraven

Are they calling it that? not "Battle of the Planets"

Bit of nitpicking here. Shouldn't the film be called "Mighty Atom"

I wonder what title it will have in Japan.

Taksraven

Probably still Tetsuwan Atom in Japan... the name Astroboy has been incorporated into the Japanese series since the 80s where it was used in the closing theme, it is the official international title so of course they'll use it on an english trailer/release.

Are they calling it that? not "Battle of the Planets"

I have never seen this version being referred to as BOTP.

Here is the official Image website address..... http://www.imagi.com.hk/web/main.php

I am not sure about the current rights issues regarding Sandy Frank, Eagle Riders or G-Force at the moment but since ADV was able to release the original Gatchaman series on DVD I think its a pretty safe bet that Sandy Frank has little or no control left over the franchise. The legal battles involving this series in the past have reminded me often of the Macross/robotech fiasco.

As a result we should be pretty safe from 7-Zark-7 appearing.

Casey Kasem is a bit old to play Ken now, but it would be nice if his vocal talents were used in some way in this production. Not likely though.

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

I have never seen this version being referred to as BOTP.

Here is the official Image website address..... http://www.imagi.com.hk/web/main.php

I am not sure about the current rights issues regarding Sandy Frank, Eagle Riders or G-Force at the moment but since ADV was able to release the original Gatchaman series on DVD I think its a pretty safe bet that Sandy Frank has little or no control left over the franchise. The legal battles involving this series in the past have reminded me often of the Macross/robotech fiasco.

As a result we should be pretty safe from 7-Zark-7 appearing.

Casey Kasem is a bit old to play Ken now, but it would be nice if his vocal talents were used in some way in this production. Not likely though.

Taksraven

Ahh never watched it when I was a kid so I have no idea what goes on there... just since DC used that title for the comic semi-recently I was wondering if they'd use it for recognition.

Ahh never watched it when I was a kid so I have no idea what goes on there... just since DC used that title for the comic semi-recently I was wondering if they'd use it for recognition.

Once again, the same as using the title Robotech rather than Macross in the US. A lot of die-hard fans would be pissed off if it went by BOTP.

Taksraven

Once again, the same as using the title Robotech rather than Macross in the US. A lot of die-hard fans would be pissed off if it went by BOTP.

Taksraven

Is it? BOTP or G-Force are not distinct Intelectual Properties from Science Ninja Team Gatchaman, in the same way as Robotech is from Macross... Name changes and such of course, but as far as I know those shows were just adaptations of one show, not stringing a bunch of different shows together (like Voltron, Macron-1 or Robotech). So while of course the hard core fan might cheer to see the original Japanese name (which I can certainly understand) isn't a film that seems to be targeting a western audience likely to resonate with the casual fans if you use the name they remember from their childhoods?

Again, I can deffinitly understand the hard core fans wanting the Japanese name, and forgive me if I'm mistaken because to me the three titles are all I know the show by, I've never watched it, it was before my time. But I doubt it could envoke the kind of split fandom you get with Robotech and Macross... and I think they'd attract more casual viewers with the English title, while the hard core fans would grumble but still watch it.

In any case, I don't seem the same concern rising for fans of Astroboy, because again by all accounts Tezuka liked the name (and there is the problem of the DC comic book character named Mighty Atom), It was included in the 2001 series as part of the Japanese title and the phrase was used in the first closing theme to the 80s version (seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCOcbBfDkRc )... so really fans can't complain too much about the title. (though I did not like it when Manga subbed Atom's name as Astro on the Japanese track and didn't provided un-edited episodes for the Japanese track, but alas).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, bit of an update here on the progress of Astroboy.....

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39993

But its pretty vague. There has been little hard news yet but according to few websites that I have been to there are certainly funding problems with Imagi and its future projects. Its been enough to slow production on Astroboy and there has been no word yet as to how it will effect their Gatchaman project.

So, with Imagi it looks like a case of wait and see but don't be too surprised if the current global economic crisis wipes them, and their future projects out.

Taksraven

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

All I can think of when I look at this incarnation of Astro Boy is the chain of Big Boy restaurants. Or Lard Lad. But I suppose that's appropriate with this Americanized version.

Poor Tezuka. First Kimba gets pillaged and uncredited for The Lion King and now Mighty Atom gets a Sams Club makeover.

*jaw drops*

You guys didnt like it??? I thought this was very in keeping with the spirit of Astro Boy. And before being asked, I HAVE read a lot of the original Manga.

Im not saying this is a rehash, but I dont want that. I dont mind a retelling as long as its in the spirit of the original.

• 3 weeks later...

I came across the toys at TRU last night. There was 3" , 6" and 10" figures, along with the now requisite 'urban vinyl' style figures. Overall they look kind of 'bleh', sort of like something that would have been on the shelves in the late 90's. Not terrible, but not impressive or 'ooh NEAT!' inspiring either.

I like the design of the Peacekeeper robot (sort of like Iron Giant meets Transfromers Animated Bulkhead) so I picked up the 3" version of him. It's pretty much what you see is what you get with this guy. He's basically a semi-articulated PVC figure. Sure there are 12 joints, but most of them are completely useless. The shoulders are universal joints and have a decent range. The elbows are hinged and bend almost 90 degrees. The waist and neck are rotating cuts. The hips are the worst- they're T-cut but sculpted in such a way that the crotch is in the way and prevents them from moving more than a couple of degrees, which in effect makes the already limited knees (45 degrees tops) completely uselss.

I wasn't expecting an amazing feat of engineering or anything from a $6 figure, but come on. Rotating biceps & forearms and more thoughtfully designed hips would have worked wonders. I don't know what kind of articulation the 6" version has, but considering he has a prominant action feature (big button right on his chest) and damage...or something...sculpted all over his body, and seems to be a bit pre-posed...I don't think I'll be picking that one up.

All things considered though, it's a fine figure if you just look at it as a small PVC representation of the character. The sculpting is decent and the paint is clean, and the joints are tight. I don't regret buying him. Hot Toys has the license for this movie, and while I'm sure they only plan to make Astro Boy himself, I have my fingers crossed that the movie is popular enough for them to make a Peacekeeper.

• 3 weeks later...