Variable Fighter Development Chart

Morpheus

I think the YF-11/VFX-11 is good as a silhouette, since we don't have line art of the canard-less Thunderbolt. The ones on my website are just VF-11B fighters in Max and Milia colors, thouhg I admit these two YF-11/VFX-11 fighters appear on my website in exactly the same way as they appear in the M3 video game manuals. So I suppose we could use them since that's what has been officially published, but I'd just as soon stick with the silhouette.

Here is something from an article that Egan Loo wrote around the time that the Animeigo DVDs were released it had a pretty good VF development chart with most of what was knwon at the time: http://www.ex.org/3.3/09-feature_macross_mecha.html

Interesting, I can see from that chart that there are several deviation from the development mentioned in GM DX.6.

- VA-3 -> VF/VA-14

- VF-17 -> YF/21 and VF-22

- VF-4 -> VF-11

Let see if I can made some correction to my chart.

That's an interesting question; what would be the variable fighter generations of Macross?

The VF-0 Phoenix and the VF-1 Valkyrie obviously constitute first generation. I think the VF-4, VF-3000 Crusader and VF-9 Cutlass would be included in first generation as well.

I think the VF-5000 Star Mirage would mark the beginning of the second variable fighter generation. It created the light fighter concept and was the first to use internal missile launchers. This generation would likely include the VF-11 Thunderbolt and the VF-14 Vampire.

I think third generation variable fighters would start around the VF-16, VF-17 Nightmare and the YF-19/VF-19 Excalibur and the YF-21/VF-22S Sturmvogel II. It would also include stuff like the VA-3 Invader, VB-6 Konig Monster, VAB-2 and VF-171 Nightmare Plus.

Fourth Generation would then begin with the YF-24 and then onto the VF-25 Messiah and VF-27 Lucifer.

What do you think? :)

I'd lump it in the following catagories:

First Gen (able to transform): VF-0, VF-1, Sv-51

Second Gen (able to reach orbit unassisted, semi-recessed ordinance, inclusion of post SWI battle experience & captured tech): VF-4, VF-3000 (the VF-9 could be here or the next gen), VA-3

Third Gen (engine micronization, internal micro-missile launchers & other improvements): VF-5000, VF-14, VB-6,

Fourth Gen (engine micronization & producing more than enough energy, internal weapon pallets): VF-11 MAXL, VF-17, VAB-2

Fifth gen (excessive energy producing engines, PPB, fold booster mounting capable): VF-19, VF-22, VF-171

Sixth Gen (hyper-energy producing engines, high-speed transformation): VF-25, VF-27

In other words, everything is based on the engines: their size and the amount of power they produce. Power being a measurement of both the thrust and the energy available for SWAG, PPB and other things. Though, the 2nd gen is the one that doesn't quite follow this.

Interesting. Not sure I follow some of the choices, but fighter generations aren't exactly a science anyway. Six generations over only 50+ years seems like a stretch to me. I was worried I used one too many with four, the VF-5000 Star Mirage being a debatable mark for a new generation.

But just using real world fighter generations as a guide, there are many factors for the generational benchmark and they can change over time.

I'm going to assume the VF-4 and VF-5000 Star Mirage are being declared orbit achievable unassisted based on an interpretation of the anime series, because it's not mentioned in the trivia. So is it being assumed the VF-4 flying along side the Megaroad-01 during lift-off and the the Zolan VF-5000G's flying into orbit in Macross Dynamite 7 is what is being used to determine that these were the first orbit capable variable fighters?

Edited by Mr March

I consider the VF-5000 a 3rd generation due to the engine micronization more than anything else.

I'm not sure if the stats specifically state it or not, but I believe the VF-4 needs to use the rocket boosters in the upper half of the engine nacelles to reach orbit. Personally believes aside, it can reach orbit unassisted, and still has enough gas to undertake a mission.

It's possible that what I consider the 4th and 5th generations could be mixed together, with those I marked as 4th gen being earlier, and those in 5th as being later productions.

Looking back, I think it may be better to lump the 4th and 5th together...

Therefore (and sans VFs as it'll make it more confusing):

First Gen: able to transform, thermonuclear reaction engines

Second Gen: able to reach orbit unassisted, semi-recessed ordinance, inclusion of post SWI battle experience & captured tech

Third Gen: engine micronization, internal micro-missile launchers & other improvements

Fourth Gen: excessive energy producing engines, internal weapon pallets, PPB, fold booster mounting capable

Fifth gen: hyper-energy producing engines, high-speed transformation, other improvements?

Edited by sketchley

Oh, cool. Do they give the thrusters a name? I know the Compendium only mentions the verniers and never describes the top thrusters; I always wondered what those thrusters were called. I don't have the Flashback 2012 Graffiti book, but is the specific text reprinted in Shoji Kawamori's Macross Design Works? If so, do you have a page number?

Edited by Mr March

• 3 weeks later...
  • 12 years later...

Oh boy did I open a can of worms here.  Someone posted an early version of this on the Macross Fan Central FB Page, and I posted a later one, now everyone is asking me for the source file, despite saying that I pulled it from here.  Ugh.