Film adaptation of Joe Haldeman's The Forever War.

Roger

Damn, Ridley Scott is a machine. He has more films in development at any one time than some directors have in their filmography. Now, is this happening before or after he does Brave New World? And what about Blood Meridian?

Edit: And that Naoyuki Katoh armor looks an awful lot like the Studio Nue Starship Troopers. I'll pass on that.

Edited by bsu legato

Yeah, both of those suits look waaaay off. This should be good, but I doubt if the true themes of the book will get through in a movie adaptation. There really isn't a lot of action in the book, enough for sure, but a literal translation of the book wouldn't be what you call an action movie. The key will be relating the brutality of the fighting environments set against the realities of home that the character has to return to.

The biggest obstacle I think will be relating the immense time frame of the book to a movie audience. I don't think most people will get it. I highly recommend the book. It's better than Starship Troopers IMHO.

This could be 11 kinds of awesome, and I very much look forward to it, in regards to the suit design, the suits evolve constantly throughout the book, just like the people do, and the backlash from a certain lifestyle choosing group could be quite harsh. Anyone who has read the book will know what I mean.

If you're referring to gays and lesbians, as long as Ridley Scott sticks to the portrayal of that aspect as it's presented in the novels, I doubt there will be any outcry. The book has been out for over three decades, and the earliest adaptation of it was actually a stage play by a gay and lesbian theater troupe.

The Starship Troopers suit was designed in the mid-70s. The Forever War cover was done in the mid-80s.

Even though you don't see much of the suit on TFW's cover there are definitely similarities, but I really prefer it to some Western artists' depictions:

[pic removed]

(by Marvano)

[pic removed]

(by Neal Adams)

Actually, the suits are not power armor in Marvano's comic: it's only in the adaptation of the sequel, Forever Free, that he proposes some mecha designs (which may not be of your taste either, by the way...)

post-1998-1224063055_thumb.jpg

post-1998-1224063116_thumb.jpg

post-1998-1224063195_thumb.jpg

Fox 2000 has the rights, and Ridley Scott is directing:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799385...d=1236&cs=1

In a perfect world, they'd use Naoyuki Katoh to do the design work on the fighting suits, of course:

http://storage.kanshin.com/free/img_0/8559/38284282.jpg

In a perfect world there would be a film adaptation of starship troopers that actually fallows the book and doesn't suck

Yeah, both of those suits look waaaay off. This should be good, but I doubt if the true themes of the book will get through in a movie adaptation. There really isn't a lot of action in the book, enough for sure, but a literal translation of the book wouldn't be what you call an action movie. The key will be relating the brutality of the fighting environments set against the realities of home that the character has to return to.

The biggest obstacle I think will be relating the immense time frame of the book to a movie audience. I don't think most people will get it. I highly recommend the book. It's better than Starship Troopers IMHO.

agreed with everything you said up till that point.

Actually, the suits are not power armor in Marvano's comic: it's only in the adaptation of the sequel, Forever Free, that he proposes some mecha designs (which may not be of your taste either, by the way...)

I knew Marvano was working on a Forever Free, but I didn't know it was out yet. I've wanted to pick up that "New Beginning" graphic novel which was going to bridge the two but it's hard to find in the US.

That's interesting, I see the word "soldierboy" in the text. Ever read Forever Peace?

Marvano is also going to be doing a graphic novel of Joe Haldeman's 1968, which is one of my favorite novels ever.