Fixing deformed pieces

kaiotheforsaken

Well guys the title pretty much says it all, but I have a couple questions regarding fixing deformed parts.

I've heard of using boiling water or a hairdryer, is there an optimal way to heat the plastic for reshaping?

Does type of plastic impact the method?

Do you need to cool the part quickly once you have the shape fixed to get the changes to hold?

I've had some success sitting resin in hot (boil the kettle, wait a few mins, then pour) water for 10mins then reshape. It took quite a few goes but got there in the end.

Quick cooling sounds like a winner. I air dried it last time but thinking about it now you could prob dip it in cold water like you're annealing steel.

Keen to hear what other guys do...

I've had some success sitting resin in hot (boil the kettle, wait a few mins, then pour) water for 10mins then reshape. It took quite a few goes but got there in the end.

Quick cooling sounds like a winner. I air dried it last time but thinking about it now you could prob dip it in cold water like you're annealing steel.

I too have used the method Cowie used with dipping in cold water it works a treat. Trick I found is to do it slowly as bending too much in one go ends in tears. You can also use a hair dryer too. Bonus if you have one that does hot and cold.

If you have a deformed resin part, which does happen, simply pour some boiling hot water into a bowl or cup large enough to comfortably submerge the part. Put the part in that hot water and keep in in for 15-20 seconds. Remove part from boiling water, reshape as desired, then immediately place in cold water and voila! The part is set.

If you have a deformed resin part, which does happen, simply pour some boiling hot water into a bowl or cup large enough to comfortably submerge the part. Put the part in that hot water and keep in in for 15-20 seconds. Remove part from boiling water, reshape as desired, then immediately place in cold water and voila! The part is set.

10seconds! Ack! I was going with 10minutes! Cheers for the info John