Bandai VF-2SS with removeable SAP

Fly4victory

Did a lot of painting and finishing today.

Added a second panel to the backpack and sanded it to match the profile of the fuselage.

Broke the bottom mounting tab.

Made a side panel for the one top engine pod.

Installed a 1/4 inch magnet on the battroid swap/swing bar. The polarity with the magnets in the fuselage locks the chest and legs to the back.This replaces the lock plate that was removed when the wings were split and sanded down.

Other setbacks today,

Broke the interior pin on one leg engine.

Ran out of Tamiya Flat White and had to replace with Testors. :angry:

post-3784-1218330001_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1218330053_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1218330077_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1218330104_thumb.jpg

The first part is actually finished! The head has been weathered, future'ed, and then dullcoated.

All the other painted parts have been future'ed and are waiting dullcoat.

Ran out of that also so I broke down and ordered the Tamiya paint and more dullcoat.

Tried to get away without the future since the model was painted with all flat colors. It scratched too easily and the weathering rubbed off so I had to future it to protect the paint.

This is all that is left, the back half of the fuselage, fighter backpack, engine nacelles, vertical fins, and assemble the lower legs.

The upper legs and feet are finish painted and will be masked, after the future dries, for assembly of the lower legs.

post-3784-1218393536_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1218393565_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1218393588_thumb.jpg

The SAP looks better now that the cannon is lower and the engines are closer to the backpack.

The engines are a very tight fit inside the cavity behind and under the cannon and the white (sensor???).

This is the finished assembly. Now I just need the rest of the fighter.

post-3784-1218666257_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1218666276_thumb.jpg

That is Master WC's version of the VF-2SS. He used the 1/72 resin kit and all the parts are removable.

Mine may have similar colors but will not look anywhere near as nice. The lines of the cockpit are much nicer on his model compared to the Bandai. Plus his paint jobs are amazing.

That is the way the SAP should look and my modified Bandai will still look clunky around the wing engine mounts when compared.

I see that the leading edges on the SAP wings are green and so is that "sensor/missile" thing on top.

The anime colors are a funny teal same as the plastic is molded in.

Kept the white of the sensor but used medium green and Nato gray on the SAP, weathered with rust, silver, and gunmetal. The cannon is metallic platinum weathered with gunmetal.

I would love to have a 1/60 variable version of that VF-2SS.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Fly4victory

For the vertical fin, cut the piece from a sheet of styrene.

Cut two slots in the bottom for two magnets and glue with epoxy.

After the epoxy on the fin is dry, install two magnets inside the engine nacelle.

To insure the correct polarity use the fin, hold the magnets in position with masking tape and glue with epoxy.

If you are worried about gluing the fins to the engine use plastic wrap to separate the fin from the masking tape and magnets.

Once the epoxy inside the nacelle has dried, tape the nacelle to the side of the non-SAP backpack and install an additional set of magnets to hold the engines when in Battroid. Glue with epoxy. The magnets already installed will make this interesting.

To mount the nacelle to the fuselage during fighter mode, place a piece of plastic wrap then a single magnet on the back of the fuselage, align the engine next to the magnet and glue with epoxy. I held the engine above the wing with one tongue depressor.

post-3784-1219099820_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1219099840_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1219099867_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1219099893_thumb.jpg

Cut too much on the epoxy mounting brackets for the nacelle engines. Had to remount.

Use sheet plastic to keep the parts from sticking to the fuselage and tongue depressors to elevate the engines and keep the bottom parallel with the wings.

post-3784-1219693975_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1219693997_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1219694020_thumb.jpg

Doing that was not enough. The nacelle engines were too far forward.

Never had them on the fuselage with the legs attached. <_<

Added two additional magnets in the aft of the fuselage.

Yes, I cut the intakes after these photos. Did lots of work when the site was down.

You can also see that the jet backpack is installed.

post-3784-1219694316_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1219694331_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1219694360_thumb.jpg