Do you think we'll get a second season of Macross Frontier?

UN Spacy

Unfortunately economics and anime dictates a lot of shows these days end as early as they can to sell product. What sort of worries me about the possibility of a S2... or "continuation" after a short break off in teh fall season to retool for a winter season/spring season reentry... is that we've seen so little of the product development that one saw with more popular "reentry" shows like the last few Gundam shows.

IT's not enough to sell model kits these days to keep shows going (at least from what I've observed of various Sunrise productions). Usually you want to see a lot of interest for gashapon and the more "disposable" purchase market (e.g., capsule gashopan, posters, shijitaki, keychains, etc.) I have seen very little show up or announced... and that worries me. (Gonzo was horribly deficient in this arena, and look where they are now... imminent trouble for their studio at this point.)

On the other hand, the music sales have been very promising, so maybe just maybe the sponsors can push for another 13 episodes next year if the music sales have been very good as well as DVD sales.

While I hope they do make a second season (more Macross is always good) , I'd say it depends on how well they resolve the storyline and whether there's any loose ends to tie up.

I don't expect a second season. Both Kawamori and Kanno came straight of the Aquarion project when they started work on MF. Probably there will be an OAV and or a movie next year while SK and Kanno catch up on some sleep.

I´m at a loss how they are going to tie up all the introduced plot in only seven episodes, so count me in for an extension or second season.

The only thing which could possibly upset me about this would be that Sheryl-sama would probably have to get Alto a second time, unless they focus on a new love triangle. ^_^

IT's not enough to sell model kits these days to keep shows going (at least from what I've observed of various Sunrise productions). Usually you want to see a lot of interest for gashapon and the more "disposable" purchase market (e.g., capsule gashopan, posters, shijitaki, keychains, etc.) I have seen very little show up or announced... and that worries me. (Gonzo was horribly deficient in this arena, and look where they are now... imminent trouble for their studio at this point.)

There's a gashapon series for MacF. I sent my buddy to Akiba yesterday to grab some for me, and he reported that the few GatchaGatcha parlors he went to were sold out. He said other MacF merchandise was hard to come by, but I could get every flavor of Gundam imaginable. I don't know if it's overwhelming popularity or simply small production runs of the products, but here's hoping.

Evangelion anyone? :huh:

I don't think M0 had a week ending. It just needed an OVA 4.5 to better transition to it. Unfortunately, I think we'll see the same thing happen in Frontier. They're going to take the last 2-3 episodes to do what they should have done in an extra 13.

SARCASM, anyone? ^_^

There are TONS of animes with weak endings, of course. But I don't think Eva is one of them.

By my understanding the show had it's length cut in either preproduction, or early production due to budget constraints. The final showdown with Bodolza's fleet was then planned for episode 23, which would have been the final episode. Instead, the series did surprisingly well and was extended. The "final battle" was moved to episode 27, and I believe 2 filler episodes made entirely of recycled animation were added as a part of this extension. So, it wasn't just several episodes tacked on post-Bodolza. There was some significant rewriting there.

Well there were a few shift and they were talked about years ago I forget the details. First it was set to be 26 episodes, and yes the love triangle was supposed to be rapped up by the last 2 episodes, but then it got hugely popular, and was billed for 52. Then the jerks in accounting had a crazy 2 weeks in Vegas or something anyways they ran out of money and did the extra few episodes instead. The show was supposed to go the M7 route for the last part rumors say.

I would like to see more Macross. Reason why i want Kawamori thrown into a cloner. ^_^

SARCASM, anyone? ^_^

There are TONS of animes with weak endings, of course. But I don't think Eva is one of them.

Ah, you didn't include the sarcasm smiley! sarcasm.gif

:lol:

Not to go off topic, but if two episodes of still frame shots, text, and recycled animation doesn't constitue a weak ending, I'm not sure what does.

Eva's ending was extremly controversial if not the most controverial ending in the whole of anime and split the fan base trough the middle. One half considered it brilliant, the other felt side felt left down and betrayed. Regardless of your own feelings about Eva, chosing such an extreme case as an example for a typical weak ending will not work.

Back to the topic: If we only get one season I do hope that it will not become a rush job towards the end to complete the storyline. I can't really say if this is the case or not as I have only seen one episode per week. I can't get a propper feel for the pacing without seeing the whole season in a short time.

Edited by Bri