Max's TV 1/48 VF-1A on the way?

UN Spacy

Since most of us have recieved out Max 1As, can someone tell me if these came with stickers or were this omitted from this exclusive.

I have a fresh set of Yamato 1/48 waterslide decals I have been saving for this puppy. Surely they had to include stickers though. Waterslides would have even been better. This is a first, but I haven't heard anything QC wise about the Max. It's been all good so far.

Nice pics! When I see the postman I am going to put my foot so deep in his rear end his breath is going to smell like shoe polish. Mine is still stuck in Customs since March 9th. Anywho, what's up with the blue side covers? Is that cannon? I was looking forward to adding a set of white ones to mine when it arrives.

That's a trip about your customs problem. I sent Rinkya a Paypal payment last Wednesday when I was notified that the second one was in their warehouse, and I had them in hand on Saturday. The blue side covers aren't canon, but I like how they looked on it. I was gonna use those side covers on a VF-1J Max originally. I have some white ones that I will probably use with the VF-1A. The hands are also customs as they are more white than the ones that normally came with the TV Valks.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my 1/48 VF-1A Max TV ver.

Very nice in a lot of ways. Great head sculpt and awesome detailed visor. Its pretty much the best executed 1/48 head sculpt to date. Love the blue plastic used too, not just painted blue on white parts (except the lower legs). The inner hip intake is painted grey like the 1/60 ver.2. Very nice touch. No broken parts and joints are sturdy and even overall.

But it does come with a couple minor things. They made the head laser too long. Took me like 10 mins to get it go over the neck hole transforming from fighter to battroid mode. The laser really doesn't fit through there, and needs to be a couple mm shorter. End up getting some stress mark on mine... fortunately its not very visible. Looser tail fins, looser nose cone, and wobbly knee ratchet (ratchet is tight, but knee still wobble about 10-15 degree when locked, same issue with my recent reissue 1S Focker, but not on my older 1/48s, not stable for adding any armor) probably due to overused mold, and overly tight elbow swivel that I need to loosen up screws on upper arm, so the elbow won't break off due to stress like my Hikaru 1S did. Wish it comes with the TV hands. No neck/backpack support part either.

Not perfect, but a good purchase nonetheless. I can always borrow my 1J TV hands to fit Max, since my 1J is busy wearing the GBP. ^_^

Edited by mpchi

I also noticed that the inner intakes were painted gray, nice surprise indeed. The 1A head just looks perfect, and I also had trouble getting it through to battroid. Had to take out the instructions, it shows the angles the front and back plates have to be in order for the head to get through without damaging the laser.

I also noticed that the inner intakes were painted gray, nice surprise indeed. The 1A head just looks perfect, and I also had trouble getting it through to battroid. Had to take out the instructions, it shows the angles the front and back plates have to be in order for the head to get through without damaging the laser.

I looked at the instructions too, after getting stuck at the head laser part for 5 mins, but to me, it wasn't as helpful. I did follow the angle and all, but still get stuck for another 5 mins..haha, with the head laser tip hitting(softly) the back plate constantly on all attempts. End up had to angle it at the max clearance (still a mm or so short) and force it a bit, relying on the plastic tolerance on the head joints and neck..and finally get it squeeze through. But it did stressed the laser a little. Not at the tip, but like 3mm below the tip. Wish its just a couple mm short, then it would clear out just fine, without looking much different than it is now.

Does the movie 1/48 VF-1A has a shorter head laser? I don't remember having this problem back then transforming my Hikaru 1A. But I sold it long ago, so can't compare them anymore.

Just checked and there is a difference. DYRL 1A laser is 35mm and TV 1A is 45mm. No wonder we were having a bi#ch of a time. Also noticed that the TV head is a bit beefier than the DYRL one.

Edited by mechatek

Those of you who have the Max TV 1A, could you tell me how closely the blue matches the blue on the Angelbirds? I'm seriously considering getting one of these and doing a head-swap. Yes, I realize I am insane. :D

I don't have Angelbird myself. But judging from pics I see, the blue is close, but probably a bit darker on Max. While the 1/48 TV Max's blue is not as purple as the 1/60 ver.2 TV Max, based on Yamato's pics.

eriku, the blues actually match up! If I were you I would get the Max TV-1A, but don't leave him headless! :p Just wait for a recast of the head. Hopefully one of our expert resin-heads will make some.

Cool. Good to know. Looks like eriku has a new toy to hunt down. ^_^

I will never understand why a fan-favorite Valkyrie like Max's TV 1A, or even the anime accurate Kakizaki TV 1A, is being sold as a near-impossible to get exclusive, while the ugly anniversary Valkyrie that NOBODY wanted is now on clearance at 40% off at HLJ.

I will never understand why a fan-favorite Valkyrie like Max's TV 1A, or even the anime accurate Kakizaki TV 1A, is being sold as a near-impossible to get exclusive, while the ugly anniversary Valkyrie that NOBODY wanted is now on clearance at 40% off at HLJ.

Good point. I'm also surprised the Angelbirds was a wide release (another hugely unpopular scheme) instead of an exclusive. What's funny is if it had been the other way around, with the Max TV 1A as a wide release and the Angelbirds as the supah-exclusive toy, it could be the Angelbirds going for big bucks now and the Max 1A languishing in clearanceville, HLJ.

Very true. Though Max wouldn't have the nicer updated head sculpt as it does now, had it been a regular release that came out a couple years ago. At least the new head made this fan-favorite 1/48 even a little more special. I might have pass on it if it has the DYRL 1A head.

Yeah, aside from the color scheme (although plain, I love it) it's really the awesome TV head that makes this particular toy stand out. I don't even like 1A heads generally, but this one looks fantastic.

• 7 months later...

This is my favorite Valk.

When Max is about to launch to protect Lisa's/Misa's shuttle....

I shed a tear.

There is something about that scene with him on the catapult and Rick/Hikaru pressed against the observation window....