Macross Flight Simulation

Avngr

Hi all, my first post here, though I've been watching the forum for some time, I'm a great fan of the Macross series, and as many of you, I believe, miss a real good game, where you could feel that you're really flying a valkyrie. I don't know if you guys have heard about this game engine, it's called Targetware. It's first version has been around since 2003, and a new, improved version is going to be release this year, as all indicates. It's a combat simulator engine, where the "core" is hosted by the company that owns it, and all the game content is produced by the community. Ah, it's free too, although it might be paid someday. There are a few "mods" released currently: airwar in the WWII pacific, other in Britain and another in the mediterranean, one mod of WWI air combat and a Korea War, as well as a Polish Combat WWII. These mods are all online focused, wich means that there is no AI currently, but this could change in the next version.

There is liberty to do whatever you want, any plane you wish to do you can put it in game, and also create your own mod. The current engine is very limited, it's not possible to do realistically aircrafts with complex systems ( or modern systems ), because it was made with WWII in sight. It simulates WWII planes very well, beating even IL-2 in the area of flights dynamics, but it loses in the graphic parts. Next version is going to change that, going to allow anything, from WWI planes, to spacecrafts and rockets, like the Apollo mission or the Space Shuttle, even allowing interplanetary flight, including Valkyries ;)

As a Macross fan, I couln'd not think of a Macross mod, so I'm here looking for people who might be interested in such a project :) My idea is to create a flight simulation, but not arcadish as the other games we have seen around so far. My idea is to create a hardcore simulator, like Lock-On, but in the Macross environment. But I wonder if there would be public for a complex game like this ( though I believe that it will be possible to have an easy mode, like the MS Flight Simulator, where you can start manually all equipments in the aircraft, or just press ctrl+e and start running to the runway ).

It's a big project, so I'm looking for people who are interested in helping, especially 3D and 2D artists, and programmers who know how to write LUA. There's not much in the area of programming that can be done now, the work for this mod would be basically 3D and 2D, mecha research and ideas gathering.

Graphically speaking, the actual TW engine allows pretty good 3D object detail, and this is going to be enhanced a lot in next version.

Two screenshots from the 109 german plane, from my computer ( Turion 2 64 1,6ghz, 2 gb ram with a GF 7300 512 mb ram ) are attached to this message.

So, what do you guys say?

Link for the Targetware game: www.targetware.net

post-8143-1211203613_thumb.jpg

post-8143-1211203642_thumb.jpg

After looking up at the screen captures as well as the website, I wanted to say that the game is visually pretty. I do not know anything about the game or LUA to help with modifying the game, but I am sure that in the long run, the end result be awesome. I am not really sure if I can contribute, but I will say that I do have some 2D and 3D experience.

Edited by Sakura Shinguji

I think I posted in the wrong forum, this should be in the Fan Works section :) Any admin around could do a little favor and move this topic there? :p

Here's some insight about capabilites of TW2:

http://targetrabaul.wordpress.com/

Sakura, my idea is to gather a group of people that would create detailed 3D models of the valkyries ( both exterior and interior ), ships, guns... And create ideas for a combat game/simulator, wich we would put it into TW2 when it is released, sometime this year. Anyone interested can help, although for now the work for this project would stay within the modelling area.

Sigh if I had any computer insight I would help you out but of course I don't :lol: . One question, are you planning on having the vf-1 able to transform or just stay in fighter (I do realize the horrors of trying to get the different thrusts of each mode down). If you guys do get this done I wouldn't mind pitting a FW-190 vs. a VF-1 B))

The idea is to have all transformations working :) The biggest dificulty would be 3D wise, that is, to have the 3D model cut off in pieces, the rest the game engine takes care of B))

Hi all, my first post here, though I've been watching the forum for some time, I'm a great fan of the Macross series, and as many of you, I believe, miss a real good game, where you could feel that you're really flying a valkyrie. I don't know if you guys have heard about this game engine, it's called Targetware. It's first version has been around since 2003, and a new, improved version is going to be release this year, as all indicates. It's a combat simulator engine, where the "core" is hosted by the company that owns it, and all the game content is produced by the community. Ah, it's free too, although it might be paid someday. There are a few "mods" released currently: airwar in the WWII pacific, other in Britain and another in the mediterranean, one mod of WWI air combat and a Korea War, as well as a Polish Combat WWII. These mods are all online focused, wich means that there is no AI currently, but this could change in the next version.

There is liberty to do whatever you want, any plane you wish to do you can put it in game, and also create your own mod. The current engine is very limited, it's not possible to do realistically aircrafts with complex systems ( or modern systems ), because it was made with WWII in sight. It simulates WWII planes very well, beating even IL-2 in the area of flights dynamics, but it loses in the graphic parts. Next version is going to change that, going to allow anything, from WWI planes, to spacecrafts and rockets, like the Apollo mission or the Space Shuttle, even allowing interplanetary flight, including Valkyries ;)

As a Macross fan, I couln'd not think of a Macross mod, so I'm here looking for people who might be interested in such a project :) My idea is to create a flight simulation, but not arcadish as the other games we have seen around so far. My idea is to create a hardcore simulator, like Lock-On, but in the Macross environment. But I wonder if there would be public for a complex game like this ( though I believe that it will be possible to have an easy mode, like the MS Flight Simulator, where you can start manually all equipments in the aircraft, or just press ctrl+e and start running to the runway ).

It's a big project, so I'm looking for people who are interested in helping, especially 3D and 2D artists, and programmers who know how to write LUA. There's not much in the area of programming that can be done now, the work for this mod would be basically 3D and 2D, mecha research and ideas gathering.

Graphically speaking, the actual TW engine allows pretty good 3D object detail, and this is going to be enhanced a lot in next version.

Two screenshots from the 109 german plane, from my computer ( Turion 2 64 1,6ghz, 2 gb ram with a GF 7300 512 mb ram ) are attached to this message.

So, what do you guys say?

Link for the Targetware game: www.targetware.net

How about this?

Macross game

And stop dreaming - begin working! I didn't talk to anyone when decided to start my project.

If you are willing to do it - then why do you need other people's opinion?

As for help - it is very difficult to find it here and on other forums (gamedev.net, for instance) for some reasons.

Unless you have already done smth - you will work alone

Aslo you can find this helpful - gerwalk.net. There is an open source demo, based on Ogre3D engine.

Personally, it is (or rather was) the best fan project on Macross games so far (Mine will be better soon)

Edited by SeminNV

Have you seen Ruak's modeling skills? If not, you should check out this video, "
" If given a chance, I would love to model the YF-19 since that is the only aircraft that I know how to transform.

Coolness! I'll try to get in contact with him :) Why don't you start on the YF-19 then? ^_^ I can put it into TW1 engine, though it would be a regular fighter...

Topic moved at OP request.

H

Thanks!

How about this?

Macross game

And stop dreaming - begin working! I didn't talk to anyone when decided to start my project.

If you are willing to do it - then why do you need other people's opinion?

As for help - it is very difficult to find it here and on other forums (gamedev.net, for instance) for some reasons.

Unless you have already done smth - you will work alone

Aslo you can find this helpful - gerwalk.net. There is an open source demo, based on Ogre3D engine.

Personally, it is (or rather was) the best fan project on Macross games so far (Mine will be better soon)

SeminNV, your's a diferent project, not only because you're building your own engine, but you plan to go the Robotech's way :) I don't know though about the gameplay you intend to build, if focused on real aircraft systems and physics or more to the arcade way. My idea is to use Targetware 2 engine, wich will allow both styles, but my idea is to make the game like Lock On. As I wrote in my previous posts, the engine is on it's final development stages, so there's not much that can be done in the coding part right now. I'm not a 3D modeller, although I'm trying to learn some, and I've seen some good models around here, so I thought of searching here for interested people. I'm studying to be a comercial pilot, so I know how aircraft systems works, how they're supposed to fly, etc, and I can do some coding too ( studied computer sciences for 2 years ) but I don't think I could create alone such a game.

... Robotech's way

No, this is stupid idea of a guy Zinjo

I meant that my project is for those who like Macross and for those who like Robotech.

As for your simulator - you gonna do transformation in it? if yes - you will make it arcade, believe me

If not - I see no reason in your work. And I explaine that - there are tons of mods with valkiries, but they are not

transformable. Why do you think yours will be better? Hope you are not offened by that remark.

I am physicist, and my work is concerned with aero ,hydro, gas dynamics, so I understand how planes operate too.

But the problems is how to implement all that in the game.

As for model - I could lend you some, it is not a problem for me.

You can ask some people about that on the forum also.

Good luck!

The idea is to have transformation in it. I don't know what others mods you are talking about, but the Targetware engine is pretty good, check it out, you'll see what I mean :)

About the arcade gameplay, by arcade I mean VOXP style. Have you played Lock-On? Is that kind of gameplay I would like to have.

Thanks for the offer of the model :)

The idea is to have transformation in it. I don't know what others mods you are talking about, but the Targetware engine is pretty good, check it out, you'll see what I mean :)

About the arcade gameplay, by arcade I mean VOXP style. Have you played Lock-On? Is that kind of gameplay I would like to have.

Thanks for the offer of the model :)

I'm all for it. It's been a while since I've done 3D modeling and I suck ass at modeling large scale items like aircraft and what-not, but I can definitely handle the 3D Models for weapons and missiles (I'm an Air Force missile technician IRL so I think I can handle those pretty detailed).

Welcome aboard! Weapons, missiles and bombs are very important. I'm waiting response from a dev guy for the numer of polys recomended for models, as soon as I have the anwser I'll post here.

Hi, noticed your post on my blog. :)

I've been testing the Targetware sim, with the Korea Mod, it looks still in early stages of development, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't make the planes to stall, much less enter a spin.

At this point, with such simple physics, I don't see how do you expect to add a plane that relies in vectoring thrust for pitch control.

The WOZ, the Korea mod was made 5 years ago for the release of the Alpha build of the first version, and wasn't updated since then ;) You should try the newer mods, Target Rabaul and Target Tobruk are the best in quality in the moment. But that's TW1. TW2 is going to be improved a lot in basically all aspects of the game, and correct the flaws the current version has.

Check these blogs of the developers to see what they are preparing:

http://targetrabaul.wordpress.com/

http://sickblog.targetware.net/

http://raffel.livejournal.com/

SpacePirateNeko, the engine will allow models in .3DS, .X, .AC, or .LWO formats, but the list can be extended before the release I believe. The current engine works this way, you have to cut your aircraft into several pieces, wich are then "glued" by the .acm and .anm files that you must write, wich handle the animations. That's probably how things are going to work with the next, in a very simply way.

Ah, as for polygons, 6k or 8k is a good number for aircraft exteriors, and something about 10k or 12k for cockpits. For missiles and bombs, well the least the best hehehe ( as long as they are kept round ^_^ ).

SpacePirateNeko, the engine will allow models in .3DS, .X, .AC, or .LWO formats, but the list can be extended before the release I believe. The current engine works this way, you have to cut your aircraft into several pieces, wich are then "glued" by the .acm and .anm files that you must write, wich handle the animations. That's probably how things are going to work with the next, in a very simply way.

Ah, as for polygons, 6k or 8k is a good number for aircraft exteriors, and something about 10k or 12k for cockpits. For missiles and bombs, well the least the best hehehe ( as long as they are kept round ^_^ ).

Give me some time and I'll work something out for you. :) I used to have a link to a Macross Weapons List (Designators and some pics). I'll have to try and find that list again. They'll be in 3DS format. :)

Give me some time and I'll work something out for you. :) I used to have a link to a Macross Weapons List (Designators and some pics). I'll have to try and find that list again. They'll be in 3DS format. :)

Great! ^_^

• 11 months later...
Wow...great posts. Thanks so much for sharing :rolleyes:

First off, welcome to Macross World.

Secondly, the last post before yours took place nearly a year ago. Look at the post dates before you do anything. This is standard forum ettiquette. In fact, in general, anything worth keeping is on the first or second page of a forum.

• 2 weeks later...
simulation credit auto

First of all, I just want to say that this site is GREAAAAT! I've been looking for a place like this for a while now B))

Welcome to Macross World, kid.

I'm sure, given time, you'll fit right in, but till then, try not to post in necro'd threads. You see, I already said something about that. It's two posts above yours.

Now, you've wasted your first post in a dead thread in Fan Works, where no one looks. ;)

Looks like French Credit site spammers to me...

(if you notice they all joined with that link and have ONE posting...)

The coincidence of all these non lurkers (3) joining and making their FIRST POST with that link in the same thread is simply astronomical...

Edited by Star Dragon

Looks like French Credit site spammers to me...

(if you notice they all joined with that link and have ONE posting...)

The coincidence of all these non lurkers (3) joining and making their FIRST POST with that link in the same thread is simply astronomical...

Yeah, and nothing they say is terribly specific about anything. I love that everybody is keeping this dead post afloat by still posting in it about it being dead. Present company included.