Question for die hard Robotech DVD TV series people

Okay, I'm having trouble referring to some of my related posts... but here I am again.

I'm almost done watching the "Robotech" version of Macross (and it has been my favorite since childhood). Now, for the first time, I would like to see the Japanese version of the TV series.

Only one problem: Which one to get?

First of all, I'm scratching this one off completely: http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=94 It's the "black box" AnimEigo set. I keep on getting out-bidded on ebay and they're just too expensive. So, this version can go to hell.

Next, and again, this is where I get confused about the differences or differences that I should give a rat's a$$ about:

This version:

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=242

This one states that it's uncut and all that. Also, it has the english dub AND the Japanese track. It also says "the inclusion of Mari Iijima, who is reprising her role as Lynn Minmay"... so, is she playing Minmay in the english dubbed track? Or what?? And, are these not avail. in a box set??

And, I'm also looking at this version: (set)

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=93

Okay, so this one has NO english dub (I don't care, really, but it would be interesting to see how Mari Iijima delivers her english-speaking Minmay IF someone answers my above question about her actually appearing on the english dub)...

Now, which one should I get? OR, are these actually the same products? (because Robotech.com and all this crap is just confusing me.... and believe me, I get confused really easy)... Like, are the subtitles the same, are the remasters the same?

Please, someone, help me. I know I've been sounding a little redundant, but I swear, this is the last time. I just wanna watch the damn show in it's originality!

Thank you in advance. I have to bookmark this thread because this darn forum moves to fast!!!!

Okay, so what if I only want the Japanese version (with subs!)?

And, so, does she do the english dub??

What if I get the ADV version just for the sub (and not for the dub!!)

Someone? I need some serious answers since I'll be spending money on this.

Not that yours wasn't serious, Gubaba, but I need some clarification for some of those questions I answered.

Please, someone refew to my original post (above Gubaba's) and help me.

I need to know which one to get! (excluding the black box AnimEigo version!)

Edited by fifbeat

Much of this information is readily available in other topics, so a quick search might help you find what you are looking for. Here's a good one:

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?show...nimeigo+macross

As for the ADV Dub, I would say that Mari Iijima is the best thing about the new English track. And it's no surprise since she is reprising her old role. I thought the mature tone to her voice still fit Minmay well, so I wasn't bothered by that so much, although other people brought it up as a criticism. What bothered me more was how the rest of the English cast managed to find a new pronunciation for the pronoun, Macross. The audience doesn't even get the benefit of hearing the old Robotech pronunciation. Anyway, this created its own debate which isn't really worth revisiting. You either get used to it or not.

It would be easier to recommend the ADV set for the "bonus" English dub, if the Japanese audio was of the same quality of the Animeigo set, but this is not the case. Somehow, in licensing the SDF Macross materials for the original subtitled release, Animeigo was able to get a superior Japanese audio track. If the original audio is important to you, then the Animeigo DVDs are a no-compromise solution. If all you want is a faithful dub and you are not concerned when the actors and actresses mispronounce a few names, then the ADV set is the one for you.

Personally, as much as I appreciated listening to Mari's reprise in English, it left me wanting for more, so I stopped collecting the ADV discs and stuck with the Animeigo set as my Region 1 DVD reference. Her range, even now, serves to show how much of a contrast exists between English and Japanese voice talent.

Okay, so what if I only want the Japanese version (with subs!)

Get Animeigo.

And, so, does she do the english dub??

Yes.

What if I get the ADV version just for the sub (and not for the dub!!)

The sub isn't exactly the same, but it's fine. However, as others have mentioned, the audio isn't as good on ADV. You also get more extras on the ADV version, but the Animeigo has an interview with the director, Noboru Ishiguro, which is quite cool.

Someone? I need some serious answers since I'll be spending money on this.

We've ALL spent money on it. It ain't no big deal.

Not that yours wasn't serious, Gubaba, but I need some clarification for some of those questions I answered.

I thought I answered all of this on another thread you posted before...

Please, someone refew to my original post (above Gubaba's) and help me.

Done.

I need to know which one to get! (excluding the black box AnimEigo version!)

If you don't know by now, you ain't never gonna know... :p

Does that help...?

If i can find some for cheap and don't have to spend time on ebay trying to outbid everyone/while maintaining a decent price!

I might just go for one of the two... I don't know. I just wanna watch the darn thing! And I want to put this Robotech vs. Macross thing to rest. I feel robbed I haven't seen it.

Anyone on here have them for sale?? =)

Edited by fifbeat

If i can find some for cheap and don't have to spend time on ebay trying to outbid everyone/while maintaining a decent price!

I might just go for one of the two... I don't know. I just wanna watch the darn thing! And I want to put this Robotech vs. Macross thing to rest. I feel robbed I haven't seen it.

Anyone on here have them for sale?? =)

Huh? Animeigo is the cheap one at robotech.com! Only sixty bucks for the whole set (It used to be forty, though...wonder what happened?)