Gundam Evolve 5

ArchVile

Well I saw Gundam Evolve 5 today. It was translated and subbed by the group Solar. I've broken it up into categories on what I thought of it

Mecha:

-The NuGundam looked rather nice but I was disappointed by the lack of the bazooka and shield. The overall design of the Nu made it's roll out seem rushed (how it was in CCA)but yet not incomplete. You have some areas where the armor doesn't completely cover the internal frame such as on the upper arms and upper legs. Over all I thought the Nu Gundam looked great.

-The Alpha Azieru had some different aspects than the one in Char's Counterattack such as ejectable pieces, the lower part of the drop tank being ejectable, and a flexible shoulders. I prefered the Char's Counterattack Alpha Azieru because it had more of a mobile armor feel to it.

Character Design:

-Amuro looks drastically different in this compared to what he looked like in MSG through CCA. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it seems like he's taller and skinnier. Overall I liked the original Amuro better but this design still looks good. The additude of Amuro in GE was more of an understanding one, he seemed more willing to talk with Quess than fight with her.

-I think that this Quess looked pretty good but there wasn't anything wrong with the original so I don't have favorites. The new design of Quess had a better personality, for some reason I could understand her better than the original designa nd I could feel sorry for this Quess, she didn't seem like a whiny brat but instead a misunderstood girl.

-Hathaway, well, we don't hear much out of him except for a couple lines.

Music:

The music perfectly captured the multiple moods of this Gundam Evolve episode.

Story:

The story in this was drastically different from Char's Counterattack. In Gundam Evolve 5 it opens with a Quess riddling Hathaway's Jeagan. Amuro senses it and goes quickly to the area. He then confronts Quess verbally and she attacks him. Quess launches her funnels and Amuro launches all 6 fin funnels. Amuro then destroys all of Quess' funnels and pin her inside of a geometric figure using the beam barrier that the Nu's fin funnels can do. Amuro then talks to Quess and then he senses that Hathaway is still alive. Amuro tells Quess that if she wants to save Hathaway that she has the power to in the Alpha Azieru. Quess then senses where Hathaway is and Amuro lifts the beam barrier. Quess then ejects all of the weapon pieces on the Alpha and goes to where Hathaway was.

Overall:

I was kind of let down considering when I first found out this Gundam Evolve was going to have the Nu Gundam I assumed that meant a Amuro VS Quess and Gyunei fight, which would have been amazing. But this was more of Amuro connecting with Quess. The ending wasn't as dark as Char's Counterattack but I assume that Amuro would go have his final fight with Char right after this happens. If you have some spare time and feel like watching it, go ahead, I wasn't disappointed over all, I just expected more than what they gave. But don't get me wrong, the small amount of combat that they did show was well done and I enjoyed this video.

I think it styled very well. The funnels worked nicely, and I liked seeing some of the stuff the Alpha could do. Less actiony than I would have expected, or would have liked to have seen, following the GPO3 Evolve 4, but not bad. The music fit very nicely, too.

You can find them subbed here. You need bittorent to download them.

They are basically short animation pieces highlighting a different mobile suit. I think the 2nd came with first run of Mk II PG kits, the 4th from the 1/144 Dendrobium, I don't know specifically where the others came from.

The first is of the RX-78-2 w/ footage from the original show. (The only Evolve that is not CG based)

02 is the Gundam Mk. II

03 is the God Gundam from G-Gundam

04 is the GPO3 Dendrobium

05 the Nu Gundam

Edited by Anubis

Hmm, action-wise, I was disappointed. Plot-wise, I was more than happy. Despite the short-length, I found pieces of the 'new' Tomino in it which made it a good watch. Overall, it was great. Of course, like you said, the music helped with the mood, too.

The "new" Tomino is a good thing. :D

Thanks to the 'new' Tomino, we have the wonderful Turn A Gundam, which is much underappreciated. Come on! It's a darn masterpiece! (though I watched it without subs, so I didn't understand everything, but thanks to mahq.net that's been fixed somewhat) BTW, if I remember correctly, it was the Gundam Evolve 3 (G Gundam) that came with PG Mk-2. I can't remember where Evolve 2 came from (but I have a faint memory about it originating from the 'Gundam, the Ride'), or even Evolve 1. Not like it matters anyway, unless you want to hunt the originals, which aren't perfect since there have been several complaints regarding errors in getting them to play. Bad disc printing? Looks to be so.

Edited by rikiryou

Thanks to the 'new' Tomino, we have the wonderful Turn A Gundam, which is much underappreciated. Come on! It's a darn masterpiece! (though I watched it without subs, so I didn't understand everything, but thanks to mahq.net that's been fixed somewhat)

I wouldn't say underrated but more like unseen. But I fell your pain I too had to watch most of Turn A gundam in japanese becuse it made more sense then bootleg subs.... But yeah it is a masterpiece the last episode's ending song was SO GOOD and how they show what happens to everyone was beautiful.

As for GE5 I was kinda confused because it wasn't anything like CCA but then again neither was the GP03 one. But I love the gundam evolve things I can't wait for a V gundam or GX one.

The subs for Turn A Gundam were bad but at least the subs for the movie versions are pretty decent. Its pretty much how I watched the show. I made it 20 episodes in the series before I stopped downloading them and just went and found downloads of the movies instead. Granted a part of the story is gone but still pretty pacing wise other then the first half of the first movie that moves at blinding speed.

Which is a shame, really, the best parts are all in the first half. Diana's life history and all (which I grant, you've already seen :) ). The character development episodes were great, too. That episode with Diana trying to do her bit by helping out with the nursing of the injured, that was a pretty good episode.

bob: Well, I have seen some that underrate Turn A, saying that it was because of Yoko Kanno... I say that's a load of crap. Of course, she did help set the mood, but the show was already good from when it started. I watched it back when it just aired in Japan, even (thanks to bootie VCDs, lol). I can't quite put my finger on it... it's just captivating. To me, anyways.

Let's not forget about Tomino's latest work: Overman King Gainer. Whackiness, but fun, nevertheless. Somehow Tomino might've gotten the idea for King Gainer's opening from Johnny Bravo's. "Do the monkey!"

Edited by rikiryou

Yeah. I'm glad I had seen the first part of the series or I would have been confused by the first half of the first movie. Though there are things that I would have kept in like events in which Loran confesses that he's from the Moon. The scene in the series was moving, especially with the song playing. Things like that make Turn A great.

I really want to pick up the rest of the Gundam Evolve series. I've only seen the testing of the Gundam MK II, and the GP-03 in the Deb.