1/72 VF-2SS

HWR MKII

Well finally i got around to building this thing. I have had it for about 3 years and have worked on it on and off in that time. This was a GREAT kit. the only issue was the canopy. it required alot of polishing to even see through it. BUT i got it down and clear. its alot clearer in person than in the pics. I dont know why but the white of the model is causing some glare and throwing off the color in the pictures. Ill try taking better ones later.

This was made from an original Musasiya kit. I have the 3 battle pods that came with it still but just wanted the Valkyrie II on its own.

post-2293-1208805530_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208805539_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208805549_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208805559_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208805568_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208805579_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208805594_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208805605_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208805616_thumb.jpg

Looks fantastic!! So glad you posted and actually built it.

I thought the Musasiya original would have had a clear canopy?! I got the hobbyfan recast and was so disappointed with the milked canopy too (I then wished I had bought an original instead of a recast) but in the end I got a friend to vac-form a new canopy for me from the old one as a pattern. It all worked out in the end - I loved the design, I would just go crazy if Hasegawa got their hands on this design. My wishlist for hasegawa would be VF-2SS, VF-11, VF-4.

Thanks for sharing (yeah, I never ended up building the 3 drones either)

Thanks WM. Clear resin is always a 50/50 chance. MOST resin canopies i have seen always need a little polishing. this wasnt as bad as the recast but still benefited from a god polishing with some 30000 and 40000 grit with some wax and future. I have some parts of an aircraft canopy polishing kit i use on mine. Have you seen my VF-0 in the next section down?

Id like to se your VF-2 but i cant find any of the pics of it.

Oh, I didn't know that about resin canopies. I guess I didn't lose out too much getting the recast - the original was so expensive at the time.

I didn't know about your thread on the VF-0 - but I just checked it out, its coming along great! Thanks, I really need the "hit" to follow along other builds when I don't get the time to do my own.

My VF-2SS was my very first posting here on MacrossWorld, in fact, it was because I found this amazing place that got me back into modelling and Macross after my University and career hiatus! I think the threads were long gone (it was built and posted way back in 2001) - the original URLs might be in my links page, but I think they refer to a MacrossWorld over 3 crashes ago and are gone forever (too bad, I often wanted to look back to see what I said about it and how "green" I was). It was also my first attempt at a resin kit too (after reading a lot of posts about what to do and all the pinning and stuff). Now looking back, its was painted really poorly - the post shading (new to me back then) was just too heavy and obvious as well as the panel lining (which I did with a marker, before I knew about oil washes) - I've often contemplated re-painting this beautiful design every so often, but my backlog of un-built stuff always beckons me beforehand. The only modifications I did were to make the fast packs removable - since I loved both designs so much (with the packs and without) and couldn't get another re-casted kit back then - I went through the trouble of devising a pretty primitive pin system to remove the packs. Overall I am pleased with the results in the end (except the horrible post-shading paint job).

Here's a few pics from an era long ago... (I hope you don't mind me intruding on your thread?)

post-244-1208833252_thumb.jpg

post-244-1208833277_thumb.jpg

post-244-1208833287_thumb.jpg

post-244-1208833297_thumb.jpg

post-244-1208833361_thumb.jpg

post-244-1208833424_thumb.jpg

post-244-1208833437_thumb.jpg

post-244-1208833459_thumb.jpg

post-244-1208833465_thumb.jpg

post-244-1208833484_thumb.jpg

post-244-1208833526_thumb.jpg

post-244-1208833534_thumb.jpg

Your not intruding at all. I like the decals you put on yours. I made mine look a little more like it was in the animation. I didnt see much in the way of markings even in the close up shots so i left it pretty clean. A litle light preshading with a medium grey is about as fancy as i got. All the smaller grey panels and the red marks are brushed on.

Two great builds in one thread! Thanks for posting guys.

I've really been wanting one of these kits, but with the Captain's Gnerl fighter coming up money is going to be pretty tight for anything else.