Remake - The Day the Earth Stood Still

AND the reviews are starting to come in and WHAT A SURPRISE! Its getting bad reviews. Here's an example.....

http://www.darkhorizons.com/reviews/daythe...hstoodstill.php

Honestly though, they had next to no chance of making a remake of this film that would impress people. I know that the original had faults and was certainly not perfect but it DID have certain qualities that could not be emulated due to the era that it was made in. (Cold war, fear of nukes, etc......)

The description of Gort is a particular worry:

the worst offense lies with Gort, Klaatu’s now building-sized robot defender. Once a creation of limited movement, the new Gort is reintroduced as a fluid being of destruction, not only from his laser beam-happy ocular cavity, but also though his ability to dissolve into a swarm of miniature metal insects that eat away anything in their path.

Will I see the remake so I can judge it myself. Well, I won't be paying to see it, thats for sure.

Taksraven

Strangely, it got a good review from Kenneth Turan in the Los Angeles Times (he who earned my serious respect years ago for giving Titanic a bad review, amidst tons of angry letters from Leo/Kate fans who wanted him fired), but he did seem to enjoy it more as camp than as a serious film experience.

I actually kind of enjoyed it. Though I went in not really knowing what I'd get.

Just out of interest, have you seen the original and if you have how do you think it compared.

(I think that this film will be more enjoyable to those who have NOT seen the original)

Taksraven

I actually haven't and that may have been why I enjoyed it. I had really no preconceived notions about what the movie should be other than an "end of the world" flick. I personally thought it had a good message without getting too preachy. I also am a fan of Keanu Reeves and I thought the way he typically acts fit this role well.

I saw it and I will say that Keanu does a great job of playing an alien that has no concept of human emotions... :lol: . Sorry couldn't get that out with a straight face. I kept thinking that 'okay they can pull this off, they can save it.' nope, wrong. It just seemed like it tried to go in too many different directions. And I kept waiting for a 'whoa'. :D

I thought it was fine. I rewatched the original this weekend, and think the original is a better movie as far as acting and directing goes, as well as preferring the characterization of Klaatu in the original, but I will say that I went into seeing the new one with really low expectations (the reviews on it were terrible) and was pleasantly surprised. Some nice nods to the original, a more complicated story, maybe more interesting, though it did seem to rely on special effects more than characterization. It's just a different movie.

It is interested that it says that it is based on the screenplay written for the first movie, as opposed to being based on the story that that screenplay was based on.

*** Minor Spoiler ***

Really, my only complaint is that they never say "klaatu barada nicto"

Just out of interest, have you seen the original and if you have how do you think it compared.

(I think that this film will be more enjoyable to those who have NOT seen the original)

Taksraven

As a fan of the original, I found the remake... not unenjoyable. It's one of those films I got into while watching (as I tend to suspend my critical thought in order to get into a film), but find all sorts of faults with when I think about it afterwards. I think it was an interesting take on the idea, but flawed in execution. There are brief mentions of interesting ideas (like planets with as much life as Earth being too precious to allow humans to waste it), but they don't make enough of them. Things sorta stumble along, without working up any real energy or climactic moments. Then it pretty much ends without a clear indication about what just happened.

While some reviewers had good things to say about Jaden Smith, I found his character to be an obnoxious brat for most of the film. Reeves was his usual stoic self. I have to admit to kinda liking Keanu in deadpan comic moments, but in this film it's all too serious. Jennifer Connelly was alright. I got the sense she was trying to do something with the material given, but there wasn't a lot to work with. Then again I might just be biased... I've had a thing for her since "Labyrinth". ^_^

If you want to compare it to the original... it lacks the warmth that Michael Rennie brought to it (with Keanu in the lead... shock!). In the original, Klaatu's a character who you see try to get a deeper sense of humanity despite getting shot by a zealous soldier early on, and finding there something he sees valuable if only humanity will grow up. They try to do a similar arc with Keanu, but neither the script nor the star pull it off. James Hong makes a brief appearance that hints to more character than Keanu can muster in the rest of the film. I found myself wishing the film had been about him instead.

If you want to compare it to the original... it lacks the warmth that Michael Rennie brought to it (with Keanu in the lead... shock!). In the original, Klaatu's a character who you see try to get a deeper sense of humanity despite getting shot by a zealous soldier early on, and finding there something he sees valuable if only humanity will grow up. They try to do a similar arc with Keanu, but neither the script nor the star pull it off. James Hong makes a brief appearance that hints to more character than Keanu can muster in the rest of the film. I found myself wishing the film had been about him instead.

I am not surprised. Michael Rennie was able to give his character enough humanity and STILL seem alien enough to make it work. And the death and resurrection bit also gave his character a lot more impact. I doubt that Keanu would be able to give the character similar traits.

They should have given Billy Gray a cameo.

Taksraven

*** Minor Spoiler ***

Really, my only complaint is that they never say "klaatu barada nicto"

I am shocked that they have not included that line. It always sounded a bit silly but it was one of the critical moments of the film. (If she had stuffed it up the world would have been destroyed) To leave it out indicates that the makers were missing the point of the original.

Taksraven

I saw this flick last weekend: utterly unremarkable. I am now interested in watching the original though, have only seen bits and pieces of it.

Random comment time: When Klatu steals the guy's suit and puts it on, one hyphenated word came to mind... G-Man! If they ever make a Half Life Movie, I think he would be good for the role (provided he masters this thing called acting). :p