Macross DYRL Memorial Box & Macross Plus Box Poll

jet660

How do you feel about the Macross Box sets so far?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Macross DYRL Memorial Box was a

• Hit
    • Miss
  2. 2. Do you think Macross Plus Box set was a

• Hit
    • Miss
  3. 3. Which do you like the most?

• Macross DYRL Memorial Box
    • Macross Plus Box

Hi Guys,

I hope you guys are having a great holiday and enjoying all the macross stuff you have received this holiday season. I just designed this poll to see how you guys feel about the current Macross DVD box sets that are currently out. Even though there is a previous thread about on them (one of them I wrote B)) ). This thread is more objective. I am curious to see why you feel these sets are hit or miss so far especially on the last question. ^_^ Plus it helps potential buyers know what they are in for too! Even if you bought only one of them, its okay too! So, start polling!

Happy New Year! :lol:

Im sure both are worth it... if your a macross fan.

And since the Macross Plus is still on sale till august it gives me time to save up and get it.

So far I have the HD DYRL and its worth it.

Edited by Wurz

DYRL limited boxset is sexxy. Haven't got the Plus set or seen the box for it yet.

I think both are very nice, I even got box 2 of the Mac 7 sets ^_^

DYRL was nicely remastered and the image looks great... but I think that the improvements are not as impressive as in the Mac Plus box. Just the improvements in the Movie Edition makes this set worthwhile.

I agree. I picked up my DYRL box on Dec. 31 and started watching HD version. I was impressed. However, I was disappointed with the special features dvd. Alot of them I have seen from 20th dvd version. The "Macross Presents" commerical was badly copied. They could have found a cleaner one. It did not include any Tak or Bandai commericals. It was great to see linear art and story board book included in the box set.

I wished BV expanded their Mac Plus box set similar to DYRL version one. ^_^

I think both are very nice, I even got box 2 of the Mac 7 sets ^_^

DYRL was nicely remastered and the image looks great... but I think that the improvements are not as impressive as in the Mac Plus box. Just the improvements in the Movie Edition makes this set worthwhile.

I could not agree more. This is why I have to go with the Macross Plus box like you.

How can you guys be impressed by the DYRL remaster as I was absolutely shocked when I saw how grainy it was? I have never seen anything so grainy in my life. :mellow:

I dunno, I don't completely see how this is a bad set. Yeah, it was a little grainy, but I noticed little details in the backgrounds that I never had seen before compared to previous releases. That alone made this worthwhile. And this is coming from someone who's watched this film well over 50 times.

mbs here is the link to the Macross Plus Box

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBA-3048

DYRL L.E. Box link

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBA-3170

The only major complaint among fans with the DYRL box is grainy issue. (I believe it is a personal preference how much grain should be there) Is there any other issues?

There were only a few that Mac Plus Box was a miss. Those who voted a miss can you elaborate on that?

I dunno, I don't completely see how this is a bad set. Yeah, it was a little grainy, but I noticed little details in the backgrounds that I never had seen before compared to previous releases. That alone made this worthwhile. And this is coming from someone who's watched this film well over 50 times.

Seconded. I really put down the grain to the nature of the beast -- that in some places the original film stock used was just too grainy for HD (but just fine for normal definition purposes, such as theatrical releases and VHS/LD/ND DVD), and that Bandai may have made a decision that taking out the grain would, as AnimEigo learned to their chagrin, destroy more of the picture quality than leaving it in would. (For those who don't remember -- IIRC, AnimEigo, when they remastered Macross TV back in 2000, tried to remove all the film grain, but found that doing so also took out many other details [particularly starfields] and generally made the picture look quasi-crappy, and so had to actually reintroduce film grain to the picture.)

Besides, as crasis notes, Ive never seen the colors look more vibrant (particularly in the scene where Minmay's watching the gossip show about her time in the hold with Hikaru -- it looks much brighter and more vibrant that in other versions I've seen) nor the details crisper and more defined before. And so, I'm willing to live with a little grain.

Edited by Pat Payne

I'm not sure how to categorize the DYRL set. On the plus side, it is brighter in some areas, which does bring out some detail. Some of the noise was removed too. The color corrections were nice too. The packaging and book sets look nice as well. On the downside, the brightening did wash out some of the color and gray some of the blacks a bit. The edge enhancement was unnecessary, and served little but to enhance the now overly evident grain. Worse, there are now soft spots throughout the film, and an absolutely inexplicable frame error towards the end that's painfully obvious.

For all the good, it just looks like it was horribly rushed by the B team. The grain aside (which can be removed or at least stabilized safely, Animeigo readded the grain because it looked to smooth to them, not because of detail loss), There's a lot of errors that just weren't necessary had the time been taken. So, while the set's great, the remaster is disappointing.