Need help transforming my SV-51

David Hingtgen

Abusing my power as a mod to make a new thread.

Anyways---opened up my Nora, got it to GERWALK mode, but am having trouble getting to battroid. I've opened up the nose gear doors, and have pressed the other nosegear door down and in--but the nosecone doesn't want to fold very far. It'll only hold at 120 degrees, nowhere near the 180 I think it's supposed to. Pressing it down to 180 spreads the gear doors apart but then it just springs back out. Looking at this page: http://firebomber.sakura.ne.jp/M7_2/SV51/SV51_G_B.htm

My nosegear doors simply aren't that far apart. They open fully AFAIK, they're just inherently closer together, and the nosecone won't fit between them. But I've looked and pressed as much as I dare, and I don't see any sort of slot/track for the doors to move up/out or anything to make more room for the nosecone.

The photo on that page shows the arrows going up then out--is that accurate? Because the nosegear doors seem like all the others, in that they simply "rotate" open.

So has everyone else's SV-51 you just open the nosegear doors, push the rear one in, and the nosecone easily folds a full 180 degrees and it stays? I'm the only one who's ever had an issue?

I can get mine to 180 degrees, but it springs right back out.

Now, I did somehow get it to stay in position once, but I have no idea how.

Question: the door hinges seem to be cutting into the plastic of the forward fuselage, getting worse as I press harder and harder to try to get the doors to spreads to allow the nosecone enough room. Anyone elses? But even with that the doors don't go wide enough that the nose won't spring back out.

Also--how does the nose stay folded? All the pics I've seen (both Yamato's and official) show the nosecone staying in place quite nicely, but mine just keeps springing right back out.

Also--has anyone been able to take the nose apart? I've found the screw covers, but they don't want to come out, and I'm not going to damage them. I'd like to try thinning the door hinges, but I can't get to them without taking it apart. The alternative is to thin the fuselage near the door hinges, but that'll become visible quite quickly. (Plus I can't imagine that mine's that messed up---it looks fine, but I need like a full millimeter of plastic taken off to get enough room for the nose).

And if I do that, then I think there won't be any door pressure/friction to hold it in place.

Sigh, everything was going so well when transforming to GERWALK, best Yamato I've owned. But the nosecone just will not go in place, not even close. The doors are actively fighting it and springing it back out. And I'm sure they're opening as wide as they can, I've pushed them out far enough to start widening the fuselage itself.

Am I missing a step? Some hinge that extends that I still haven't found? A track the gear doors move along that repositions them? (though I've looked and looked)

The nosecone won't stay in place all by itself, atleast not on my Ivanov and Nora. You need to hold it there while you transform the rest of the torso and then it will lock. You can fold it all the way back between the landing gear doors right ?

Mine also won't stay there, i need to hold it there until i complete the rest and then its rock solid.

I was wondering if that might be the case---clarification requested:

Does yours want to "spring" out if you let go? Or does it merely "not hold itself in?".

Still, pushing the nose in between the gear doors spreads them wide, beyond what they will open to themselves----they are stressed and flexing the plastic all around them.

I'm going to go see "I am Legend" soon, to take my mind off it. (Hey, expensive valk on Xmas, and there's just one critical point that's really not working and I'm wondering if it's broke or something--I'm stressed) Asides from the nosecone, it's by far the best valk I own

(searching the site, I haven't found anyone mention the nosecone at all, which also worries me--I'm apparently the only one to ever have an issue)

The nosecone won't stay in place all by itself, atleast not on my Ivanov and Nora. You need to hold it there while you transform the rest of the torso and then it will lock. You can fold it all the way back between the landing gear doors right ?

Mine also won't stay there, i need to hold it there until i complete the rest and then its rock solid.

Both of mine operate the the same way.

(searching the site, I haven't found anyone mention the nosecone at all, which also worries me--I'm apparently the only one to ever have an issue)

I think we're in the same boat. Searched this site and various others, and I'm apparently the only one with a VF-1S that won't have its backpack close. :unsure:

You have my sympathies, and I mean it literally when I say that I'm very familiar with the sense of panic and "What am I doing wrong?" you're going through.

Edited by Lord of Tetris

Well, I have mine transformed into battroid, and while it *works*, I still don't like it----IMHO, the nosecone and nosegear doors shouldn't be in constant stress, forced into position by the locking of the torso together. I think I'll sand the pegs where the nosegear doors "grip" the nosecone a little, to ease tension.

PS--does the heatshield have any sort of lock? It likes to "fall open" pretty easily. It'll stay if you don't bump it, but any little thing and it'll come apart, just like the lower part of a YF-19's chest. What is it with Yamato and not giving a peg/post for the lower chest? They really expect an un-pegged non-stiff-jointed piece to hold itself up against gravity?

I was wondering if that might be the case---clarification requested:

Does yours want to "spring" out if you let go? Or does it merely "not hold itself in?".

Still, pushing the nose in between the gear doors spreads them wide, beyond what they will open to themselves----they are stressed and flexing the plastic all around them.

I'm going to go see "I am Legend" soon, to take my mind off it. (Hey, expensive valk on Xmas, and there's just one critical point that's really not working and I'm wondering if it's broke or something--I'm stressed) Asides from the nosecone, it's by far the best valk I own

Yes mine springs out if i let go but when i push the nose between the gear doors i don't put any stress on them it seems, the doors are spread apart enough to not be affected atleast on mine.

What is it with Yamato and not giving a peg/post for the lower chest? They really expect an un-pegged non-stiff-jointed piece to hold itself up against gravity?

I'm with you.

Apparently a lot of people around here don't think the lack of a lock is a big issue since they 'don't hold their valks upside down in B-mode'. :wacko:

Sorry to hear about your nosecone issues. I'm holding out for a Dobber scheme 51, so I'm anxious to hear if your nosecone issue is widespread or unique to yours.

http://firebomber.sakura.ne.jp/M7_2/SV51/SV51_G_B.htm

My nosegear doors simply aren't that far apart. They open fully AFAIK, they're just inherently closer together, and the nosecone won't fit between them. But I've looked and pressed as much as I dare, and I don't see any sort of slot/track for the doors to move up/out or anything to make more room for the nosecone.

The photo on that page shows the arrows going up then out--is that accurate? Because the nosegear doors seem like all the others, in that they simply "rotate" open.

Both my 51's are fine and this is the first time I've read about this issue.

Did you push the third nosegear door down into the bay like shown on the photo? (red arrow pointing down)

If it makes you feel better, I've got the same "problem" with my Ivanov ver.

Nosecone tends to dislocate from the allocated point quite easily and doesn't really stay in place until I move the entire waist section and clip it there [which isn't very stable in itself].

Was hoping it'd be remedied with Nora, but it doesn't seem so.

The rear nosegear door does/affects nothing (it is in, by the way). It's the front edges of the front doors, that start getting in the way well before the nosecone gets anywhere near the rear door. It's not that the nosecone "won't go down that last 1mm" but rather "once you go past 90 degrees and start getting between the open front doors, it starts encountering problems".

Knightdramon--mine is more than just "won't stick"---more like "actively repelled".

Can't get your nosecone up? Try Valkatrex®!

"Ever since Valkatrex® I've been getting my battroid on... Thanks Valkatrex®!"

Valkatrex® - not available in some states. May cause side effects including diahrea, bloody nose, insomia, double vision, green hair, etc. If nosecone doesnt transform back in four hours contact an overtech expert. Not for use with veritechs, autobots or decepticons. License pending.