Megaman X7

bob joe mac

Ok so I go out and buy X7 and Zero2 now I heard about all theis new crap they were going to do to the X series and was a little worried but thought capcom could make it good none the less. But NO THEY DON'T.

I mean I was dissapointed with X5 and 6 but they were still better then this pile of crap.

pros-

NONE

CONS-

- HORRIBLE voice acting liek if you thought MM8 had bad voice acting with elmer fud as Dr. Light you will think this is WORSE!!! AHHHHH AXL has the most annoying voice in the game!!! X and Zero just speak in monotone and Signas.... oh god.... how they could even allow this guy to voice him......

- THE CONSTANT SWITCH BETWEEN 2D and 3D. Well I heard about the 2d-3d stuff but this constant switching ruins it.

- The SLOWNESS!!!!!! AHHHH what happened to all the fast dashing and slashing/shooting of the old games? I mean jesus WTF Zero can only slash SIDEWAYS at the beginning and AXL just flat out sucks.

- INABLILITY TO PLAY AS X!!!!!!!!!! Yes thats right you can't play as X!!! I assume you get him later but I mean WTF!

- CELL SHADING GHRAPHICS. Now when I saw those screenshots (the few shown) I was like uhh not that bad. But when you see it you will be horrified at how FUGLY they look.

- SOUNDTRACK- ALL the MM/X/Z/ETC. all had kick ass soundtracks does this NO!! I don't remember ONE tune and I wa JUST playing it like 5 secs ago.

DON'T buy it right away rent it first. Get MMZ2 instead.

X7 does look different. Thanks for the heads up though, I'll definitely rent this one first now. Few questions though. How does the game flow? Is it traditional 8 boss style? Or have they tried something new? And one more... in the past few X's you get items and can equip them and stuff... is that on this? Is there any equpping being done? And, please tell me that X doesnt have his girly X4 voice (which IMO is the BEST one of the whole series... except for X's gaiety it owned). Thanks.

Edited by Toby Danger

X7 does look different. Thanks for the heads up though, I'll definitely rent this one first now. Few questions though. How does the game flow? Is it traditional 8 boss style? Or have they tried something new? And one more... in the past few X's you get items and can equip them and stuff... is that on this? Is there any equpping being done? And, please tell me that X doesnt have his girly X4 voice (which IMO is the BEST one of the whole series... except for X's gaiety it owned). Thanks

Well it has a bit of a plot and X has retired (WTF) and this caused a new reploid hunting agency called the RED agency. Now they became corrupt and this one guy called Axl tried to leave and escaped to X and crew. The red dudes then decide that if you can beat the 8 Mavericks they captured Axl would be set free, "But if you can't well... we will leave that to your imagination".

Yes it still has the save billy and you get a life tank thing going on etc. Also X's voice along with EVERYOTHER male reploid (cept Axl and Sigma) have INCREDIBLE DEEP voices. While Sigma sounds like Steven Hawking ya know like robotish voice and Axl sounds like a little girl.

Oh yes and to clarify the 2D vs 3D system its like this

*Game starts off as Axl*

Normal platform style jump over boxes shot stuff etc.

*Enter door*

More platform style stuff

*fall down thing*

3D NOW :blink: Now its all insane and you will prob die.

after fighting for a little and entering another door

NOW YOU'RE ZERO!!??!?!?

BACK TO 2D!!!!!

Walk along a level VERY similar to X1 and fight enimies from said.

After fighting 2 giant bees.

BACK TO 3D!!!!!

Now you gotta be careful cause you can fall off edges and sides you cant even SEE!!!

yeah it makes no sense. :blink:

Okay, as the most die-hard Megaman fan the world has ever known, I would have to say... it's really not that bad.

See, here's the thing: we all have certain expectations for the way Megaman should play. And the simple fact of the matter is, unlike Mario or Metroid or Zelda or Sonic, but perhaps like Castlevania (more on that later), Megaman is NOT meant to be 3D. Capcom would have served fans better, and everyone I've talked to agrees with this, if they would have rendered the game in 3D, but retained essentially 2D gameplay, ala Viewtiful Joe or Klonoa.

Once you recognize that, you start to accept X7 for what it is. The 2D parts are still fun, and the 3D parts... you start to get used to them.

Yes, you can unlock X... to do so, you simply need to rescue 64 Reploids. I personally made it my mission to rescue them before beating any bosses, and it didn't take me too long to do it. After you have X, the game starts to feel more like Megaman, with a lot of running and jumping and shooting. Yes, I know that Axl can do these things, but Axl sucks, and his Axl Bullet is three times weaker when fully charged than X's X-Buster.

To fix the voice acting, go to the options menu before you even start playing, and for the love of God, set the voices to Japanese!

To fix the story... go play Megaman Zero 2. Unfortunately, the story in X7 will always suck and wreck continuity, and for what? Just to introduce Axl and set the stage for Megaman X: Command Mission. If Capcom wants to continue the X series, which I hope they do, they need to stop abusing it. X6 was rushed out to set up Megaman Zero. X7... another rush job to set up another series.

To that end, I want to be appointed to direct any new projects relating to the Classic or X series. Since Inafune abandoned them to work on his precious Battle Network games :angry: , I'm the only one who can save Megaman!

Well, except for those guys doing the Zero series. Kudos to them, as the first Zero game was brilliant, but Zero 2 was still 100% improvement, and the best Megaman game since X4. If they can continue to improve and don't muck up their story (like X did), the Zero series has the most potential.

Oh, as for Castlevania, I picked it up... and for those expecting a 3D Symphony of the Night, you're all going to be let down. The RPG elements are gone, the castle is not a large, interconnected beast that will you must get new powers to reach new corners... essentially, there's a hub in the middle, and you teleport to each level. And instead of exploring, it's mostly you find a door, but you have to find and push three switches to unlock it. When you do... there's another door, and more switches... The only thing keeping it from sucking outright is the gorgeous visuals, tight control, fluid gameplay, and excellent soundtrack. So, I think of it as more like a hyrbid of Devil May Cry and Castlevania than a 3D version of 2D Castlevania. Actually, since Leon has a block move, I'm having a lot more fun with Castlevania than DMC. As far as games in general go, it's not bad, but not brilliant like it's 2D cousins.

Too many games, too little time, really... although I beat Megaman X7 and Megaman Zero 2 already, I still have to finish Casltevania, Viewtiful Joe, and Time Crisis 3... and in less than a month, since Need for Speed Underground, Final Fantasy X-2, and Mario Kart all come out right around three weeks from now. And only about two weeks or so to play those before Ninja Gaiden...

gorgeous visuals, tight control, fluid gameplay, and excellent soundtrack.

I wish every game could "not suck" due to that. :)

Gameplay/control beats EVERYTHING. No matter how gorgeous the graphics, no matter how cool the hero, gameplay/control are the main things. Is that not what's wrong with X7? Zero's cool, X is cool, looks ok--but gameplay? Control?

Hmm, as I expected, Lament of Innocence appears to play like the classic Castlevania series, i.e. before Circle of Blood (first Dracula X/Casltevania X). Nothing wrong with that, IMO. So far from what I've played, only Super Castlevania 4 has given me the best control over the whip, it really renders Richter somewhat more useless, but he makes up for it with his crash attack. Speaking of crash attacks, I don't think you can execute that in Lament of Innocence?

As for Megaman not working in 3D... Well, I enjoyed Megaman Legends to a certain extent (except the voice-acting). It would turn into a totally different gameplay rather than your average Megaman/Rockman gameplay, I give it that.

Look at it this way.... at least LoI didn't turn out to be just Castlevania 64 in high resolution. <_<

As for X7.... I think the main problem is that Capcom didn't go all out 3D. Its tough to turn a franchise 3D.... and its even tougher to make it a hybrid.

My only gripe with the Megaman series.... the villians have been lacking originality in the past few installments. <_<

gorgeous visuals, tight control, fluid gameplay, and excellent soundtrack.

I wish every game could "not suck" due to that. :)

Gameplay/control beats EVERYTHING. No matter how gorgeous the graphics, no matter how cool the hero, gameplay/control are the main things. Is that not what's wrong with X7? Zero's cool, X is cool, looks ok--but gameplay? Control?

No, as always, Capcom nails control on Megaman. The main gripe is the weak story, going from 2D to 3D, no control over the camera (I might be griping about that for Castlevania later...), and somewhat uninspired level designs for the 3D segments. Axl is like a weaker version of X, and his Copy Shot is cool, but ultimately useless outside of a few spots where they force you to use it to save some of the Reploids. Once you unlock him, X is the same X we know and love. Zero's a little slower with the saber, but he can reflect bullets, plus he gets some new weapons instead of just new moves.

Abombz!!... I'm gonna have to disagree with you. While the 2D parts were sheer bliss, the 3D parts were lacking. Especially the bosses... it just didn't feel like Megaman fighting the bosses in large 3D areas. I stand by my original statment: 3D graphics, 2D gameplay.

Abombz!!... I'm gonna have to disagree with you. While the 2D parts were sheer bliss, the 3D parts were lacking. Especially the bosses... it just didn't feel like Megaman fighting the bosses in large 3D areas. I stand by my original statment: 3D graphics, 2D gameplay.

Then you are not really disagreeing with me. I pointed out that Capcom tried to do too much... when they should've picked one type, and gone all the way with it. If they had concentrated on 3D gameplay... it would\ve been good. The same with 2D. Instead... they tried to do a little of both.... screwing up 1 side, and getting the other right.

Its like this... with the right amount of effort.... Capcom would've gotten even boss battle in 3D right.... but didn't put the right amount of effort.... and even Battle Transmission shows it. Capcom needs to take Megaman seriously again.

Then you are not really disagreeing with me. I pointed out that Capcom tried to do too much... when they should've picked one type, and gone all the way with it. If they had concentrated on 3D gameplay... it would\ve been good. The same with 2D. Instead... they tried to do a little of both.... screwing up 1 side, and getting the other right.

Its like this... with the right amount of effort.... Capcom would've gotten even boss battle in 3D right.... but didn't put the right amount of effort.... and even Battle Transmission shows it. Capcom needs to take Megaman seriously again.

The part that I disagreed on was that it would have been alright if they focused on crafting the entire game in 3D. In my mind, 2D is the way to go, and recent hits like Viewtiful Joe show that a 2D game can still be well recieved on a console, and not just the GBA.

In a sense, you could say that I disagree that they tried to take on too much, even. On the contrary, it was kind of a half-assed game that they used just to explain who Axl was, and set the stage for Command Mission. Just like they were half-assed with X6 so that they could set the stage for Megaman Zero.

Of course, I do agree whole-heartedly that they need to start taking Megaman seriously again. Problem is, Keiji Inafune isn't interested. Battle Network is his new baby, and that's all he's interested in right now. Which is a waste, really... while the first Battle Network was a novel idea and it was kind of cool seeing all the classic characters remixed, by Battle Network 3 the game had degenerated into fetch quest after fetch quest. (Here's hoping that the soul styles add something new to the game, but that's for another day). Even if Inafune is too occupied to work on Megaman, Capcom should put someone else in charge with more vision than that fellow who did X7 (and is working on Command Mission).

As for Network Transmission... I actually liked it a lot for what it was. I mean, face it... the Battle Network formula didn't lend itself well to the old school gameplay of the classic series, but it was certainly a fun try. Should Capcom try to do it again, though, I would do away with the Battle Chips. They could instead set it up so that you fight a boss, earn his soul style, and then fight another boss who's weak to that Soul Style... and of course, put each boss in a different stage, and let us pick the order of the stages from a screen of mugshots... (of course, then we'd have the magazine griping about how unorginal that is...)

The part that I disagreed on was that it would have been alright if they focused on crafting the entire game in 3D. In my mind, 2D is the way to go, and recent hits like Viewtiful Joe show that a 2D game can still be well recieved on a console, and not just the GBA.

That's how I feel. Super Smash Bros Melee keeps coming to my mind. 3D but 2D gameplay. Playing as Samus in Adventure mode in the Metroid stages looks just find on that console. MMX7 should have been set up more like that.