How do Bandai 1/72 Macross compare to Hasegawa?

Fai

Just wondering what are the difference between Bandai and Hasegawa Macross 1/72 kits? Are those like ancient? How's the quality and poseablility?

Oh and does anyone have either for sale? Looking for mainly Strike/ super Valks (not fighter, unless transformable) and YF-21 fighter also.

Thanks

Edited by Fai

Most of the differences are to do with line art interpretation but the plastic is thicker on the Bandai and they just feel a little more toy like, But most kits from that era feel like that so theres no harm in that. The Hasegawa kits are really well detailed and the plastic is slightly softer so easier to sand and fill etc, they also are far more articulated than the Bandai equivalents.

Just wondering what are the difference between Bandai and Hasegawa Macross 1/72 kits? Are those like ancient? How's the quality and poseablility?

Oh and does anyone have either for sale? Looking for mainly Strike/ super Valks (not fighter, unless transformable) and YF-21 fighter also.

Thanks

Go with the Hasegawa kits, if your going to build a YF-21 follow along with wm cheng step-by-step, he did an AWESOME job with that kit!!

YF-21: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...f=23&t=1457

Nexx2, your side by side comparison shows that these kits can still stand up and look great. I know it looks different than the Hasegawa, not as sleek and certainly a bit less realistic in detail, but quite anime accurate in my mind and They Transform!!!!. :D Just amazing considering the time they were developed. Thanks for showing that pic!

Now.....where's that old Bandai kit I had stashed away?!?!? This thread is inspiring me! B))

You can forget the 2 ;) "Nexx" is my old account ^_^

You can sometime see it on ebay, there was a vf1D last month...

I also have posted some close-up pictures of an old Bandai variable VF-1J kit in this thread:

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=24073

As for details, the Hasegawa kits blow the old kits out of the water. However the Hasegawa VF-1 doesn't transform...

Your kit look better than mine, congratulation :) I have choose metalic color : th_2583d_maqunexxy.JPG

You can forget the 2 ;) "Nexx" is my old account ^_^

You can sometime see it on ebay, there was a vf1D last month...

Your kit look better than mine, congratulation :) I have choose metalic color : th_2583d_maqunexxy.JPG

Those kits look nice! So I gather Hawesagawa are nicer but more difficult to build, is it because of more pieces or smaller pieces or why is it? I am just afraid though if I were to buy Bandai, they would look old and not poseable?

Btw, I saw that Ichiban has a YF-21 on sale, I was looking for someone that has multiple kits, so I pay only one shipping fee, hehe.

If you take your time you can make the Bandai's look decent.

Here's one I did of a modified VF-1D with fastpacks. I threw in a comparison shot of it next to a VT-1 Ostrich from Hasegawa as well.

I don't think it was mentioned here but the Bandai's are fully transformable (with the swapout of a few parts) and the Hase's aren't. With Hasegawa if you want to display multiple modes of the same fighter you have to buy separate kits, and they don't make a Gerwalk, that requires the bashing of two kits together (fighter and battroid).

post-198-1196275220_thumb.jpg

post-198-1196275260_thumb.jpg

post-198-1196275308_thumb.jpg

post-198-1196275342_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grayson72

Those kits look nice! So I gather Hasegawa are nicer but more difficult to build, is it because of more pieces or smaller pieces or why is it? I am just afraid though if I were to buy Bandai, they would look old and not poseable
Don't worry, they're really nice, and more poseable that the toynami superposeable ;)

the metal pieces are great, and decals are more resistant than the hasegawa.

Fantastic job Grayson! :o

Your side by side shot shows how close the two kinds of kits can get. Looks like you achieved a perfect build-up of your Bandai VF-1D. You must have spent hours cleaning up those seam lines, and it looks like you got the gear doors to line up nice and snug with no bad gaps. That is a huge accomplishment with those kits.

Ever notice how much bigger the fast packs are on the Hasegawa kits and Yamato toys? I guess it must be the impact of their look in DYRL.

So, Fai, it seems that either Bandai or Hasegawa kits can be a good choice. If you want Transformation capability or need Gerwalk mode, Bandai is the way to go. Careful building and attention to parts alignment and cleaning up seams is the key to building a good Bandai. (They are key with the Hasegawas too, but is easier with them)

If you want amazing realistic detailing in either Battroid or Fighter mode only, then the Hasegawas are the way to go. Prices are about even between the Hasegawa standard fighter kits and the Bandai variable kits. The Hasegawa Battloids and Super/Strike Variants increase fairly significantly in price, but you can't get the Bandai variable kits with fast packs at all.

You could always try one of each. As long as you're having fun, it should all be good!

Here's one I did of a modified VF-1D with fastpacks. I threw in a comparison shot of it next to a VT-1 Ostrich from Hasegawa as well.

I don't think it was mentioned here but the Bandai's are fully transformable (with the swapout of a few parts) and the Hase's aren't. With Hasegawa if you want to display multiple modes of the same fighter you have to buy separate kits, and they don't make a Gerwalk, that requires the bashing of two kits together (fighter and battroid).

... the Bandai 1D does look nice!! Does the FP come with it? I've seen Hasegawa's weapon set but don't think it has the FP included with it.. A question about the Bandai, are they ALL transformable? And in what way is Hasegawa harder to build?

... the Bandai 1D does look nice!! Does the FP come with it? I've seen Hasegawa's weapon set but don't think it has the FP included with it.. A question about the Bandai, are they ALL transformable? And in what way is Hasegawa harder to build?

None of the transformable Bandai kits were super/strike versions and not all of the Bandai kits are transformable.

The Bandai 1/72 super VF kits that you'll find are not transformable and the nose cone on those are ugly in my opinion, however I believe these can be made in gerwalk or fighter mode (non-transformable)

The only way to get a transformable Bandai Super VF is to kit bash a transformable kit with the super parts from a non-transformable one. Takes a fair bit of moding so if you're not comfortable with that then I wouldn't attempt it.

As far as difficulty is concerned between the two, the Bandai one has a lot of moving parts and is difficult to get all the seams filled in for a perfect build but finishing it (painting & decals) is easier. The Hasegawa has more parts that are much smaller and the finish work on the Hasegawas to make them look really nice like you see on the boards is more difficult in my opinion. For example the canopy has a seem right down the middle of it that has to be removed, which takes a bit of sanding, polishing, and clearcoating to make it go away.

That's a really nice VF-1D!

Personally the transformable aspect isn't that important to me. I prefer the Hasegawa look... Especially when the two are put together like in your picture above, the Bandai one looks like art from the Macross series and the Hasegawa looks rather like the Macross movie.

That's a really nice VF-1D!

Personally the transformable aspect isn't that important to me. I prefer the Hasegawa look... Especially when the two are put together like in your picture above, the Bandai one looks like art from the Macross series and the Hasegawa looks rather like the Macross movie.

Glad you like the 1D. Yeah I'm totally in agreement with you on the transformable aspect, they're supposed to be display models not transformable toys. I have like 4 or five transformable kits but this is the last one I'll probably ever build. Man what a walk down memory lane building this sucker, hadn't built one of these since the mid 80's.

Nexx2, your side by side comparison shows that these kits can still stand up and look great. I know it looks different than the Hasegawa, not as sleek and certainly a bit less realistic in detail, but quite anime accurate in my mind and They Transform!!!!. :D Just amazing considering the time they were developed. Thanks for showing that pic!

Now.....where's that old Bandai kit I had stashed away?!?!? This thread is inspiring me! B))

Anime accurate. You hit the nail right on the head.

Hasegawa kits are great but they treated them just like any other 1/72 aircraft kit. Super detailed, heaps of pieces and state of the art molding. They make a great scale model but for that anime look the Bandai kits win as far as I'm concerned.

Both kits can be made into great models as seen from all the posted pics but in this case I reckon the Bandai's less is more as far as I'm concerned.

Fai, some more reference for you.

They r bandai/imai kits :lol:

OMG!! Those are awesome!! Are those hands recast or do they come with the kits? They look good! 'Cause I saw some Bandai Battorid 1s and 1J yesterday at a store, the box pics show a fist that holds the gun, not a hand with index finger sticking out...

Nice work lmm! I'd love to hear about the mods you made to those kits.

The hands are definitely replacements. I would guess lmm used some Gundam hands on these. The hands on the Bandai single mode kits are a big problem. They are far too large and poorly sculpted. Replacing the hands is an easy start to improving the Gerwalk kits. The Battroid kits have even more problems.

It looks like the legs have been modded to get that dynamic stance too.

The Bandai Battroid kits really suck btw, those hands look like they're from the Hasegawa battroid kit.

Check out these pics, I they could be the same hands or they could be aftermarket ones.

post-198-1196370419_thumb.jpg

post-198-1196370435_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grayson72

Those hands sure look like Gundam hands, not sure what scales though...

How about Bandai's variable kits comparing to IMAI's variable kits, is one better than the other or no major differences?

They're the same kits, repackaged by Bandai after they bought the molds from Imai.

The Bandai Battroid kits really suck btw, those hands look like they're from the Hasegawa battroid kit.

Check out these pics, I they could be the same hands or they could be aftermarket ones.

If I'm not mistaken thats a Hasegawa Battroid in IMai/Ari Armor. It is possible to make it fit but a little time consuming.

Grayson, I love this Vf-1D so much. It's so cool. :D

Can you tell me where did you get the fastpack for this? From 1:72 bandai super Valk fighter?

ALL those kits look great! The variable kits have a special place with me since they were the first kits I ever built from Macross - before I saw the series! I just got tired of building 2-14's, 2 SR-71's, 3- A-10's etc etc. - MT