what's ur Fav aircraft in the world?

Lightning

Many people believe Speicher's F-18 was lost due to mid-air collision with a MiG-25, not shot down by it. (Mostly this is based on info by the other pilots in VFA-81 on that mission---VFA-81 rocks) I have no love for the 18, but it is an amazingly strong aircraft. They almost always survive the first missile hit and come home. It takes either a HUGE missile, or multiple missiles to bring them down. But being hit by the world's fastest fighter will surely take it out.

Hey don't knock the russians, if there was something they had a speciality over the Americans during the cold war it was building anti aircraft missiles. The Mig 25 and its cousin the Mig-31 were designed as interceptors, to take out the big strategic bombers like the B-47/52. Consequently they carry some HEAVY missiles. The AA-6 can be considered favorably to the pheonix, and has a 70KG warhead (it may have a Depleted uranium liner as well.) Thats going to blow a F/A-18 apart no matter what. Its warhead is larger than a SA-6's warhead by comparision

Production F-22: I don't care that it used to be Lightning II (which I liked) or Rapier (which I didn't like), this plane just screams "Bird of Prey" which makes Raptor a very fitting name for it.

Su-27 and variants: The first pretty Russian fighter that I can think of since WWII, with capabilities to match.

F-86: the classic jet from the forgotten war.

F-104 Starfighter: I loved this plane since I built a model of it when I was 7.

Speicher's "saga" if you'll call it that is still a big thing in the aviation community. His status has been switched from KIA to MIA. Still don't know where he is. And I'm not sure if they ever had proof the F-18 remains they found in the desert was his. (I think they do). But the big debate is whether he could eject, and if he survived the ejection. Canopy/seat condition are of course the biggest clues, but the canopy wasn't where it should be, for either ejecting or not. Many believe the Iraqi's messed with the wreckage before we found it, as a lot of it simply didn't make sense.

This might be getting a little to political but I had always just assumed that his status change was just another way to try to drum up support for the war. You'd think if the Iraqis still had him we would have found him by now.

Su-27 and variants: The first pretty Russian fighter that I can think of since WWII, with capabilities to match.

Uhh no advanced russian fighters?? The Mig 25 scared the Americans #$@# during the late 1960s...Especially when the Israelis couldn't touch a recon variant that was loaned to the syrians with their F-4s . The F-15 was given a crash building program as a result.

Su-27 and variants:  The first pretty Russian fighter that I can think of since WWII, with capabilities to match.

Uhh no advanced russian fighters?? The Mig 25 scared the Americans #$@# during the late 1960s...Especially when the Israelis couldn't touch a recon variant that was loaned to the syrians with their F-4s . The F-15 was given a crash building program as a result.

I didn't say advanced I said pretty. The Russians have made plenty of advanced fighters over the years. It's just they all seem to have gotten a good whacking from the ugly stick.

maybe in the eye of the beholder.... I actually like the Mig-25. Its one of my fav Hasegawa kits (and the F-15 looks disturbingly like it)

The reason why the F-15 looks somewhat like an MiG-25 is because it was designed to counter it. The US got real scared when they learned (albeit somewhat misleading) about the MiG-25. It wasn't until they got their hands on one was that they found it was basically a flying gas tank with engines and missiles.

I just can't get tired of the A-10. Looks so mean WHOA !!!!

A-10front.jpg

It's front mounted Tank Killer gun just commands respect.

It does. It does. Always listen to Reason. Always. I've seen fottage of that gun in action, and man, I don't want to be around the tank when those shells hit. It's a hellstorm in and around the tank...

Is there any armour that can stand up to the shells from the gattling gun of the A-10? I doubt it, but it never hurts t o ask...

Is there any armour that can stand up to the shells from the gattling gun of the A-10? I doubt it, but it never hurts t o ask...

Supposely M1A2s, Leopard IIA5 and up, Challenger IIE can survived a srafing run (at least the frantal slope(right word?) from an A-10, but no tank crew in their right mind would want to be in the tanks during the run.

Is there any armour that can stand up to the shells from the gattling gun of the A-10?  I doubt it, but it never hurts t o ask...

Supposely M1A2s, Leopard IIA5 and up, Challenger IIE can survived a srafing run (at least the frantal slope(right word?) from an A-10, but no tank crew in their right mind would want to be in the tanks during the run.

You mean frontal slope? If so, then probably. Usually the thickest armour on a tank can be found in the front, and on the front of the turret. It's a safe assumption as that's where most of the fire is going to be coming from in a conflict/war/skirmish/wargame etc...

Although, you are right, nobody in their right mind would want to be in the tank when an A-10 begins its strafing run... But then again, you don't want to be anywhere near the tank when it's being shot at by an A-10...

u know something funny? i was reading that biography again last night, and i found out the air force definately didnt want the F-16 or the A-10!! they wanted just the F-15 and they didnt want a CAS mission that the A-10 does. (isnt that scary??)

EDIT: dont get me wrong, but l love the 'Hog for what it can do and for that gun, i wish that the gunpod version would've worked out for the AF because every aircraft they make might be carrying that gun today...

Edited by Lightning 06

The Su-27IB / Su-32 / Su-34 ( Int'l Air Power Review says -32, Modern Russian Air Power says -34)

It has the capabilities of a full blown strike fighter. It has equal air combat abilities to that of the Flanker, and can outdo the F-15E in the strike role....

Commander McBride since you mentioned you like the Su-32, I though you might be interested in these pics of a new Su-32 1/72 die-cast plane going on sale this november.

post-26-1067214262_thumb.jpg

Although, you are right, nobody in their right mind would want to be in the tank when an A-10 begins its strafing run... But then again, you don't want to be anywhere near the tank when it's being shot at by an A-10...

I didn't say it very well, the tank crew pefer to be beyond maximum safe distance from the tanks during the run. :o

I just can't get tired of the A-10. Looks so mean WHOA !!!!

A-10front.jpg

It's  front mounted Tank Killer gun just commands respect.

One of my favorite Cobra aircraft:

rattler_iso.jpg

rattler_bottom.jpg

rattler_iso2.jpg

Kinda like a Warthog on steroids he-he...check out the third engine on rear of the plane. Kinda small looking at that pilot.

Edited by 91WhiskeyM6

Geez... 120+ posts and noone's mentioned the XB-70 Valkyrie??

I've loved that thing ever since I first saw it at the Dayton Air Force Museum. Very cool looking, and absolutely enormous. And the fact that it's the namesake of the VF-1 makes it pretty cool too :)

To give you an idea how big it is, I have a 1/72 model of it, and it's 3 feet long! One of these days, I want to build it in a UN Spacy color scheme and make it a VF-1 carrier craft :lol:

Some other favorites of mine are the SR-71, P-38, and, if we're not limiting this to real-life planes, then just about anything from Yukikaze ^_^

rattler_iso.jpg

Kinda like a Warthog on steroids he-he...check out the third engine on rear of the plane. Kinda small looking at that pilot.

This is blasphemy,

This thing looks nothing like the A-10 !!! this thing is absolutely gay

Here is what the designer deserves to do for the rest of his working life...

post-26-1067301084_thumb.jpg

Edited by Montarvillois