Joke Machines???

misterryno

Hello, I was just checking out the customs galleries (for anyone who has made any customs, they sure are SWEEEEET) and I notices the "joke machine customs". What are these little guys and where can I get them?

:ph34r: MisterRyno :ph34r:

One of the well-known customs of JMs are to tell really bad jokes. They all do that.

Heh.....that's funny....Can you find these anymore without losing an arm or a leg?

Well, there are 2 versions of it as far as I know. The first one was manufactured by Bandai aka the original Joke machine and the other by Matchbox for the US market. Both were produced at about the same time but the ones with the Japanese boxes are more rare than the Matchbox version nowadays. Bandai released the DYRL version 1S Roy, 1A Max & Hikaru and TV version 1J Max & Miriya while Matchbox only released the 1S Roy, 1J Max & 1J Miriya (since those are the ones that appeared in the TV series shown in the US under the 'Robotech' label).

Well, there are 2 versions of it as far as I know. The first one was manufactured by Bandai aka the original Joke machine and the other by Matchbox for the US market. Both were produced at about the same time but the ones with the Japanese boxes are more rare than the Matchbox version nowadays. Bandai released the DYRL version 1S Roy, 1A Max & Hikaru and TV version 1J Max & Miriya while Matchbox only released the 1S Roy, 1J Max & 1J Miriya (since those are the ones that appeared in the TV series shown in the US under the 'Robotech' label).

Actually the Matchbox one's were basically repackaged Bandai Joke Machines.

The Bandai ones had VF-1S Roy, The VF-1A Hikaru, the VF-1A Max, the VF-1J Max and VF-1J Millia. The VF-1As are the most rare and are often the most expensive to get, followed by the VF-1J toys. The most common Joke Machine is the VF-1S Roy. They all came with a small Minmei figure, the gun pod and fast packs. However I think there was a special Strike version of the VF-1S that pops up now and again, but I am not sure if it's a custom or an actual Bandai release.

There was a release of the SD Veritech's by HG, but they were a redesigned version of the originals, not nearly as good in quality or appearance. I suspect they may have been licensed from Takatoku.

The "Joke Machines" were the first quality SD Valkyries ever produced. There were other SD versions released as model kits, but the Joke Machine is the design most collectors like the most because it was similar the the "Egg Plane" design of model kits released by Bandai in during the 80's, though not as exagerated.

Edited by Zinjo

there was a special Strike version of the VF-1S that pops up now and again, but I am not sure if it's a custom or an actual Bandai release.

This subject came up a while back and it was confirmed that that super cool strike version was indeed something produced by customizers, not a legitimate release.

There was a release of the SD Veritech's by HG, but they were a redesigned version of the originals, not nearly as good in quality or appearance. I suspect they may have been licensed from Takatoku.

I'm actually working on a review of both the Takatoku ParoValkyrie and the Toynami Morpher (Toynami's re-release of Takatoku's design). You can see a morpher in the picture below, it's standing next to the Roy Joke Machine (it should be noted though, Takatoku's ParoValkyries did not come with super armor, that was a Toynami retrofit)

New%20Roy%20JM%20small%2063.JPG

The "Joke Machines" were the first quality SD Valkyries ever produced.

Takatoku's ParoValkyries did preceed the Bandai Joke Machines but they're smaller and they're pull-back roll forward toys (kinda like Penny Racers without the Penny) so I can see where they're not on really the same playing field as Bandai's efforts. They are fairly cute SD toys but they're only two mode transformers with practically no articulation whereas the Joke Machine is practically a shrunken and cute-ified 1/55 Takatoku... pretty cool.

I have nearly all of the JM`s and a couple of the kit one s unbuilt. Always wanted some of the custom ones made by a certain member here, dam shame they were never allowed to be mass produced.

Edited by big F

....Can you find these anymore without losing an arm or a leg?

Both of the VF-1S's that I have, have been picked up for trifles here on the board. You can get one loose, with most of the accessories for under 20 bucks... Though, a complete one, in-box, with all accessories will typically reach about $150.00...

Hope this helps.

Edited by Hiriyu