Need Help on Model Grafix Advanced Valkyrie thingy :p

Duymon

Ok, so I've got 3 of the clear valks with the special model gfx decals and want to make a squadron of LV Valks with said decals. So I fire up Model GFX 2001 issue on MW and got a pretty good idea of how to paint the valk and all

But then..out of nowhere... WHAM, it hits me! What the hell are those lil pods on the sides of the head?!?!? Can barely tell from the small pics.

mgpg10.jpg

Anyone have an idea of what I can use? Perhaps they used Lantirn pod from a 1/72 weapon set and trimmed it down to look cool? O_o

Gosh darn it now that I look at it more it's got largers Nose FlIR's and an elongated head... O_o.

Definitely look like Lantirn and FLIR pods to me as well

I scanned the Japanese text and cant pick up any mention of FLIR or Lantirn or what those pods might be. They talk about the cockpit details but not the underside? Can anyone with better Japanese ability confirm?

I scanned the Japanese text and cant pick up any mention of FLIR or Lantirn or what those pods might be. They talk about the cockpit details but not the underside? Can anyone with better Japanese ability confirm?

O.K for those who dont know what is FLIR and Lantirn. I asume that FLIR is Forward Looking Infra Red but what does it do ?

Edited by big F

FLIR's are a pod that allows pilots to see at night.

LANTIRN is a like a FLIR + Targetting system for Air-to-Ground during night ops.

IIRC LANTIRN on the f-16C's was 2 pods, one for navigating, one for targetting. I guess I'll steal some from my 1/72 hase weapon sets (think the one that has the JDAM's also has the LANTIRN units)

I get the feeling the LANTIRN Targetting pod (the one with the swivelling head) is goin on the right side of the head and the FLIR on the left. Only concern... does the VF_1 really need an extra head-mounted FLIR in addition to the two nose-mounted ones?

Edited by Duymon

Only concern... does the VF_1 really need an extra head-mounted FLIR in addition to the two nose-mounted ones?

Probably not.. a bit like an extra set of balls really I supose. Thanks for the info though.

There are some strakes of some kind on the front of the nosecone too. Those shouldn't be hard to scratch though. Actually the shape of the nosecone itself looks slightly different from a standard VF-1. There are several interesting differences on that bird.

Does the decal sheet include the noseart too?

Edited by jardann

There are some strakes of some kind on the front of the nosecone too. Those shouldn't be hard to scratch though. Actually the shape of the nosecone itself looks slightly different from a standard VF-1. There are several interesting differences on that bird.

Does the decal sheet include the noseart too?

no noseart :(