Kamen Rider Dragon Knight

areaseven

• 10 months later...
Is it so hard to use the name "Masked Rider" instead of "Kamen Rider"... oh well. Meh.

Could be a crazy rights issue, since Saban might have trademarked "Masked Rider" in the US which would have passed on to Disney, who is anal about their IP (even changing laws to hold onto it when it should be public domain, Mickey Mouse I'm looking at you).

On the other hand, it could just be a "Japanese words are cool" thing, admit it Kamen Rider just sounds cooler then Masked Rider.

I just hope that's part of the explanation when he asks

"what's a Kamen Rider?"

"Kamen is Japanese for Mask, so it's a guy on a motorcycle with a mask"

"why did you give them a Japanese name?"

"Cause our whole planet is full of Weebos"

I mean it's kind of irksome to see Japanese words used out of context, but sometimes eh, it happens.

I've never figured out why, but people tend to get REALLY bent out of shape over Kamen/Mask.

Happens with this and Sailor Moon both.

I think it's just a gross misapplication of the "leave names alone" guideline, and they're not able to tell.

Could be a crazy rights issue, since Saban might have trademarked "Masked Rider" in the US which would have passed on to Disney, who is anal about their IP (even changing laws to hold onto it when it should be public domain, Mickey Mouse I'm looking at you).

In Japan, most of the old school Disney films have been released on DVD by some random company for dirt cheap because apparently according to Japanese law, they are public domain now. From what I hear, the credits have been taken out, and the video quality is really horrible though. Disney is apparently trying to stop them, but they're still on sale everywhere.

They still have a disclaimer at the back of the DVD case warning not to make "illegal copies", which is weird.

As for the Kamen Rider show, it seems better than the cheesy Power Rangers, and kids loved that anyway.

I've never figured out why, but people tend to get REALLY bent out of shape over Kamen/Mask.

Happens with this and Sailor Moon both.

I think it's just a gross misapplication of the "leave names alone" guideline, and they're not able to tell.

Yeah I've met a bunch of "it's Tuxedo Kamen not Tuexedo Mask!" people and I don't get them... but then I prefer "Sakura Taisen" to "Sakura Wars" it just sounds better to me, so maybe I'm weird like that.

In Japan, most of the old school Disney films have been released on DVD by some random company for dirt cheap because apparently according to Japanese law, they are public domain now. From what I hear, the credits have been taken out, and the video quality is really horrible though. Disney is apparently trying to stop them, but they're still on sale everywhere.

They still have a disclaimer at the back of the DVD case warning not to make "illegal copies", which is weird.

As for the Kamen Rider show, it seems better than the cheesy Power Rangers, and kids loved that anyway.

But it should be public domain in Canada at least (and I think also the US) but Disney manged to get it extended and laws changed.

here's a fun comic that ran in a local paper.

post-772-1215657588_thumb.jpg

But it should be public domain in Canada at least (and I think also the US) but Disney manged to get it extended and laws changed.

here's a fun comic that ran in a local paper.

Yeah. That's been a long-running thing.

Mickey's come close to going PD a few times since the original Steamboat Willie. And every time his time starts to run out, it gets extended.

There's also a few "annoyances" like needing to renew the copyright and formally declare it removed .

The ORIGINAL US law, from 1790, provided for a 14-year copyright, and a single 14-year renewal, IF the original author was still alive.

1909 extended it to 28, with a single 28-year renewal.

1976 extended it to 50 after the author's death, or 75 years for anonymous works and works for hire, as mandated by the Berne Convention. This was the first one that Mickey, created in 1928, benefited from(he would've gone public in 1984). It also removed the necessity of registering and formally declaring your copyright.

1998 extended it to 95 years after publication, 120 years after creation, whichever came first, or 70 years after the author's death. This is the one everyone blames Disney for. Though it was actually proposed by Sonny Bono, Disney DID lobby heavily for it. The stated reason for the bill was to bring US copyright periods in line with european ones, but...

It could've been worse. The European laws we were supposed to be keeping up qith that not only extended copyright, but restored copyright to public domain works that wouldn't have lapsed under the new laws.

Edited by JB0

Henshin Justice.com has been following the developement and was even invited to see the wrap up of I think one of the episodes and go to a wrap up party shortly after and Mark Musashi was even there having fun.

After seeing the official trailer I think, it'll be far better than when KR Black RX came to the states, and probably just kick the snot out of power rangers.