Nausicaa Set for NA Release

Batou

Didn't see this already posted anywhere, so here goes:

Nausicaa.net (Link) reports that Disney is finally going to distribute Miyazaki's classic Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind in North America, giving fans access to a classic anime masterpiece they've been long deprived of. They're currently working on the dub, which will feature (among others) Patrick Stewart, Uma Thurman, and possibly Natalie Portman.

In other Miyazaki/Disney news, they've premiered the English dub of Porco Rosso (another one of the master's greatest films) at the Austin Film Festival (my hometown). Disney has already released Monoke Hime (Princess Mononoke), Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (Spirited Away), Kiki's Delivery Service, and Laputa Castle in the Sky, making a grand total of 6 Miyazaki films Disney has brought or is bringing to the States.

There's also a Slashdot thread going on about this here:

Link

I have to admit I was a little skeptical as to how Disney would handle Miyazaki's catalogue after the dismal returns of Mononoke in theatres, but it looks like they may make good after all.

I mentioned that there were rumors of Nausicaa getting released soon...

Did they redub Porco Rosso? The film was made with an English language track to start with (along with a bunch of other languages; it was comissioned as a film to be shown on international flights).

Sweet. Great news i knew it was coming but didn't know so soon.

So we got

Porco rosso- Soon

Whisper of the heart- Being done as we speak

Nausicaa- just announced

So disney has to release

Pom poko

Only yesterday

Totoro

and My neighbours the yamada's

Then we will just need Ocean Waves and the cat returns.

Nausicaa rocks! And it only took them, what.. 20 years to release it in the US? The Perfect collection manga series is on the top of my 'must spend more money' list.

Nausicaa rocks! And it only took them, what.. 20 years to release it in the US? The  Perfect collection manga series is on the top of my 'must spend more money' list.

Well there was Warriors of... yeah, you're right. Twenty years and no US release. :D

shh.... whatever you do, don't mention HIS name!! :blink:

it's about time Nausicaa is released here! yay - unless they don't include a subbed version on dvd with their dub.

They will, all of the Miyazaki DVDs Disney has released so far have dubs, subs, widescreen and extras. I'm glad that Disney is also releasing Totoro since the FOX DVD that came out last year is a total abomination.

Fantastic! As a long time Nausicaa fan, I'm thrilled this DVD is getting good treatment here in NA. I've got my japanese DVD on pre-order and I'll definitely pick up the NA release as well.

Do you really think it's worth having both sets? I have a pre-order of the Japanese set (Limited Edition). I don't think I'll be getting the Disney set.

They will, all of the Miyazaki DVDs Disney has released so far have dubs, subs, widescreen and extras. I'm glad that Disney is also releasing Totoro since the FOX DVD that came out last year is a total abomination.

Disney now has the rights to Totoro? Cool! I can't wait for their release of it. Fox never realized what a good thing they had.

Great news about Nausicaa, although I wish the wait wasn't so long. As for Porco Rosso, did I totally dream this up or did Jean Reno (the Professional) do the voice of the pig? Maybe that was just the French dub.

Yep. Jean Reno played Porco in the French dub that was done about 10 years ago (Rumor has it that Miyazaki loved the French dub.). It's a great chance that R1 will get that dub.

PS: Michael Keaton plays Porco in English. :)

They will, all of the Miyazaki DVDs Disney has released so far have dubs, subs, widescreen and extras.  I'm glad that Disney is also releasing Totoro since the FOX DVD that came out last year is a total abomination.

Disney now has the rights to Totoro? Cool! I can't wait for their release of it. Fox never realized what a good thing they had.

I thought the FOX dub of Totoro was one of the best I've ever seen/heard. Although I prefer subs, I may pick up a copy of the FOX DVD if I don't like the Disney dub of Totoro. (I remember disliking the dubs of Mononoke and Laputa, and not being too crazy either about Jiji done by Phil Hartman (R.I.P.--I'm a big fan of his otherwise).)

They will, all of the Miyazaki DVDs Disney has released so far have dubs, subs, widescreen and extras.  I'm glad that Disney is also releasing Totoro since the FOX DVD that came out last year is a total abomination.

Disney will have the Totoro rights beginning in I believe 2005. That's why Fox hastily released the DVD.

And true, Fox never know what a treasure they had in Totoro.

I thought the FOX dub of Totoro was one of the best I've ever seen/heard. Although I prefer subs, I may pick up a copy of the FOX DVD if I don't like the Disney dub of Totoro. (I remember disliking the dubs of Mononoke and Laputa, and not being too crazy either about Jiji done by Phil Hartman (R.I.P.--I'm a big fan of his otherwise).)

I think everyone's favorite devil Carl Macek directed the dub. Which is kinda ironic.

Fantastic!  As a long time Nausicaa fan, I'm thrilled this DVD is getting good treatment here in NA.  I've got my japanese DVD on pre-order and I'll definitely pick up the NA release as well.

Do you really think it's worth having both sets? I have a pre-order of the Japanese set (Limited Edition). I don't think I'll be getting the Disney set.

Absolutely. Typically, I'm not the kind of fanboy that collects a ton of the same stuff for all my favorite franchises, but Nausicaa is one of the exceptions. Nausicaa is like...Herbert's Dune or Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. It's one of those few great stories that I really like to support because they are so rare, yet so great. So I'll get both the japanese and NA DVDs because I'm such a huge fan that likes all things related to those rare series.

The North American release also signifies a move toward higher production values for anime, more respect for anime as art, and better treatment of any potential translation. As we all know, while anime products are getting better outside of japan, there is still a long way to go. Supporting the quality treatment of anime sends a message that fans want more respect given to their anime and companies will act according to the market.

So yes, I really think it's worth it.

AT LONG LAST IT IS COMING.....again.....for the very first time.....sorta.

The best news is I can finally get rid of my battered copy of "Warriors of the Wind" or give it to one of my sons. I wish my eight year old would come off that copy of Robotech II: the Sentinels that I gave him by mistake last year.

AT LONG LAST IT IS COMING.....again.....for the very first time.....sorta.

The best news is I can finally get rid of my battered copy of "Warriors of the Wind" or give it to one of my sons. I wish my eight year old would come off that copy of Robotech II: the Sentinels that I gave him by mistake last year.

Do the right thing, Yang. Burn it.