Tomahawk

Justiciar

Rhino. There will be just a little more detail added. The plan is to produce this in 6mm (1/300 scale). I refer to it as a micro-model because it's comprised of 34 parts (includes two spares). Points of articulation include: toes, heels, ankles, knees, hips, pelvis, shoulder (out and around), elbow (swing and rotate) and all missile bay doors. Incidentally, the chest missile pods are removable and can be fitted with different load-outs (12 as shown, 24 micro-missiles, 6 heavy missiles, etc). We're looking at high-impact polystyrene injection-molding. You caught me at a talkative moment. And no, it's not for the faint of heart, but it is light on the wallet.

How hard would it be to tool one out in 1/35 scale?

Well, it's in CAD, so we can scale it to whatever we need. Our milling machine and lathe can make some pretty big parts. The two concerns I have are:

1) that it was designed for 1/300, so there is some detail that can't be seen at that scale, and therefore was not modeled, but would probably look incomplete in 1/35 without it (rivets mostly). And I can't make a clear canopy.

and

2) I'm guessing we're talking about a very, very limited run, which would make it expensive to do. Couple that with me not being being much of an artist (no box art) and not having decals for it, I'm not sure it would be good value.

End result is that I would like to, but it will probably have to wait a little while (maybe a couple months?) and I'd be worried about price. So I guess that qualifies as a definite maybe. Probably. We'll see.

Well, it's in CAD, so we can scale it to whatever we need. Our milling machine and lathe can make some pretty big parts. The two concerns I have are:

1) that it was designed for 1/300, so there is some detail that can't be seen at that scale, and therefore was not modeled, but would probably look incomplete in 1/35 without it (rivets mostly). And I can't make a clear canopy.

and

2) I'm guessing we're talking about a very, very limited run, which would make it expensive to do. Couple that with me not being being much of an artist (no box art) and not having decals for it, I'm not sure it would be good value.

End result is that I would like to, but it will probably have to wait a little while (maybe a couple months?) and I'd be worried about price. So I guess that qualifies as a definite maybe. Probably. We'll see.

Well anything not on it i can add. Also theres alot of destroid fans here who would kill for one in 1/35. Plus if the 1/72 ones are anything to go by it wouldnt be more than a foot tall at best. Clear canopy? Who needs it. Thats what silver paint and clear colors are for.

Don't know about Maya. Rhino is quite different from most, from what I hear.

Well anything not on it i can add. Also theres alot of destroid fans here who would kill for one in 1/35. Plus if the 1/72 ones are anything to go by it wouldnt be more than a foot tall at best. Clear canopy? Who needs it. Thats what silver paint and clear colors are for.

Well, here are some other issues to consider...Some people might be ok with adding additional details themselves, but for as much as you'd pay for the kit, I really think it ought to be there to begin with. Right now, the model is solid (it's designed to be tiny) and it probably needs to be hollowed out for 1/35 scale. The joints probably aren't as poseable right now as would be expected on a larger kit. They're also not as detailed. Designing functioning joints in CAD is pretty time intensive. And the missile bays would have to be completely re-designed.

If you wanted me to just scale it up to 1/35, yeah, I could do that w/o too much difficulty. The problem is that I just don't think it would be a very good kit and I don't want to put out crap. So there'd be a lot of time redesigning stuff to give it the treatment it deserves.

Bottom line, yes, I'm interested in exploring this further, but there are some caveats. It is going to have to wait until after GenCon (August 16-19 in Indianapolis). I'm also not going to do it if there's only 10 people interested. And before you ask, yes, I'd also consider doing the rest (I have the Defender and Phalanx finished, need to re-build the Monster, haven't started on the Spartan yet).

Probably not the answers you're hoping for, but give it time.

Keep in mind that it's designed for 1/300 scale. That's ~45 millimeters tall. So, no, the cannons aren't going to be hollowed out unless/until I decide to make a bigger one.

Regarding price point, under $20 for the little fella. Pricing for the big fella will have to wait. Sorry.

Here's the final, updated pics. Enjoy.

warhammer4.jpg

warhammer5.jpg

warhammer2.jpg

warhammer1.jpg

Love it.

I will take at least couple if your gonna do a production run. Im building a Macross Chess set so they are perfect to add to my Ral Partha ones.

If you consider doing more or the rest of the Macross mecha Im also in on purchasing them too.

As Far as 1/35 is concerned on the side of detail, Im sure that at 1/35 a lot of detail could be added after the scale up. If anyone can HWR can.

Am I correct in thining that all you need is a cad drawing saved as a certain file type and you can mint out anything size permitting. If htis is the case I may have something for the future for you to do.

Am I correct in thining that all you need is a cad drawing saved as a certain file type and you can mint out anything size permitting. If htis is the case I may have something for the future for you to do.

Sort of. The model has to be constructed as a 3D solid object, which is not the same as building a polygon mesh. From there, it needs to be saved as a certain file type, depending on the 3D printer. Some like STL, some like IGES, or DXF, or...

I'd be more than happy to discuss other projects with you. I'm considering starting my own RP company and am looking at printers this week, so new business would be nice. Just be warned that it's not a cheap process to go from CAD to real world. I'll pretty much guarantee that I'll do it cheaper than anyone else, but a model like the Tomahawk, in 1/285, is still going to be somewhere between $200-300. The price goes down if you wanted a large number of whatever.

Sort of. The model has to be constructed as a 3D solid object, which is not the same as building a polygon mesh. From there, it needs to be saved as a certain file type, depending on the 3D printer. Some like STL, some like IGES, or DXF, or...

I'd be more than happy to discuss other projects with you. I'm considering starting my own RP company and am looking at printers this week, so new business would be nice. Just be warned that it's not a cheap process to go from CAD to real world. I'll pretty much guarantee that I'll do it cheaper than anyone else, but a model like the Tomahawk, in 1/285, is still going to be somewhere between $200-300. The price goes down if you wanted a large number of whatever.

My brother has one at work and although he has offered to do stuff he can only really do small things occasionally due to the expense and they way the accounts department hold his purse strings means he and his underlings dont get much chance to do "home Jobs".

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice! By off chance does .Obj format work well to tool something like that out. I had a site bookmarked that could to this stuff but lost it in the HD crash or 06. Because I would love to get this Mospeada Ship tooled out one day or other projects I'm working on.

garfish4rear.jpg

Edited by AncientAngel

I don't have any experience with .obj, so I couldn't tell you for sure. It's not so much the file format that matters (though that can be a factor), it's more how the model is constructed. 99.5% of the models out there are done as a polygon mesh. That's because these models are done by artists and are just meant as glory shots, or are done for movies or video games. That's all those venues need. Not so for a physical model. There's no geometric data in such a model and it can not be used to make a physical model. The model needs to be built specifically as a solid or with a solid surface. So if I had to guess, I'd say stuff like that is useless, except for providing a template to work from for re-building it as a solid.