Advice for my Diorama

miriya

This is my first try at a Diorama. I have all the content but need an environment. I do not know what to do. Like not at all. Even the ideas I have, I do not know how to implement - ie materials to use etc. Can some of you pros or not so pros give me some advice?

I was first thinking of making some sort of box to put it all in with two walls (touching) and a base with the base part looking like part of a landing strip or runway or hangar floor (whatever that looks like) and then the walls looking industrial high tech (whatever that looks like). This is the vague idea that I have. I do not know how to implement it. I do not know what materials to use or where to get them so any advice from you macross world forums would be appreciated.

You will of course recognize the DYRL Roy's VF-1S with the Stealth Super Parts exposed. Then there are two different ground crew sets. One is a hasagawa and the other is I think an italeri. The crane is a die cast CAT crane that is 1/50 scale but it is close enough. I thought that the color schemes all work out so I want to have an environment for them that will complement them somehow without distracting from the foreground.

Here are some photos of how I am thinking of laying it out. Let me know what you think....

[attachmentid=43182]

[attachmentid=43178]

Here are the Mechanics

[attachmentid=43177]

Roy

[attachmentid=43180]

Zentraedi attack!!!@! This is just a joke. I do not plan to put those clunky things in there. But if Yamato would make a 1/60 or 1/48 (I know that is too big) regult battle pod then I would consider displaying here.

[attachmentid=43181]

Also, as a newbie, how do you get the little models from falling everytime you breath or walk around your table? I do not really want to glue them into place or have a giant mound of goober to stick them in. Any ideas?

Thanks.....

post-4840-1182482683_thumb.jpg

post-4840-1182482746_thumb.jpg

post-4840-1182482781_thumb.jpg

post-4840-1182482834_thumb.jpg

post-4840-1182482905_thumb.jpg

post-4840-1182483293_thumb.jpg

Edited by miriya

The old-model tractor looks a little out of place and the clamshell bucket on the crane is ill-suited for lifting (plus...where is it lifting it to?).

Otherwise, nice combination of figures.

I suggest a simple tarmac surface mounted on a wooden plaque base.

Thanks. . . Yeah, I thought that the clamshell bucket did look out of place too. I included the Crane for a feeling of movement and activity but also because the color worked well. Good point on what it is doing. I was thinking of putting the Super Parts engine cover there instead of the gun but it would not fit with the clamshell. Maybe I should just take off the clamshell and rope the cover on.

I think that you are probably right about the tractor too, thanks. It does look old stlye. I wanted something carting the bombs around though. Maybe I will leave the trailer that the bombs are on and take the tractor away.

So where do I get a tarmac surface? Are there pre-built ones or do I need to buy materials and paint? In either case if you could give me a link to a supplier that would be great! Thanks.

That's a great idea. Here's one from a show (I forgot where I got it). [attachmentid=43183]

If you're a stickler for details, the uniforms are orange. A good source for plastic is Styrene Products. The more effort you put into it, the more realism. - MT

post-2518-1182491705_thumb.jpg

The vehicle set is Hasegawa's Aircraft carrier set (figures and truck). Oh yeah, if you want to keep your figures from falling, either glue thm down (obviously) or use clear sheets of plastic to make base for them. You can get a hand hole punch and make small circles to glue on each foot too. - MT

Edited by MechTech

The tractor is a 1/48 Verlinden US Navy Carrier Tow Tractor (V0268). And it's OOP and VERY hard to get hold of. If anyone fancies doing recasts and can get hold of one, I'd reeeeally like one.

For positioning on a 'rough diorama' I tend to use either a very small dab of CA or blu-tak on surfaces that can't cope with a knife or be resanded easily. Final fit is always CA.

So where do I get a tarmac surface? Are there pre-built ones or do I need to buy materials and paint? In either case if you could give me a link to a supplier that would be great! Thanks.

You can use sand paper or aluminum oxide paper, just dirty it up a bit and add some paint markings etc

The vehicle set is Hasegawa's Aircraft carrier set (figures and truck).

Thanks. Do you know anywhere that I could get that Aircraft carrier set? I have seen the crew set available but not the one with the truck.

Thanks for the links. Those are very cool. They may be a bit too small at 16cm but it does say they are linkable so I may try that. Maybe I can just get one or two to test before getting a whole bunch of them to make a nice 1/48 hangar.

Yeah it says they link and you can add a second wall panel on top, but even if they don't link the way you want, it's nothing a hobby saw and some crazy glue won't fix. :D

Yeah wasn't it Kanata67 who talked about "Greebies"?

parts taken off other kits to add minute details to models

think about the Star Wars capital ships or lifesize like the movie aliens using back covers of TV's as walldecoration

straws, springs, pcb boards

I once had a G.I. Joe catalog that (succesfully) used alot of 'real world' bits and pieces in their dioramas

Great advice about the "greebies" I did not think of that!. Maybe a conglomeration of things would work well. Also great ideas about the starwars capital ships! Those have great texture! Also, the PCB!

Doing the walls in PCB may look really cool! Even unpainted it would make a bit of a statement.

Thanks.

To my knowledge there are no 1/48 carrier trucks (as in the Yamato display) available currently. Best bet is to use italeri's set for the ammo loader and flatbed trailer, hasegawa for the generators and a few extra ground crew (though the sculpt is poor) and try to find verlinden's tractor set (which can be built up in several variants). If you're really set on quality verlinden's carrier crew are also very good, but expensive!

I would suggest maybe re-creating the background in this Kawamori illustration. Its a sweet picture.

Someone may have a better scan and if not I can take a clear picture of my poster.

Off topic: I really dig your pic. Thats my favorite Bjork song and one of the best videos ever :)

post-1005-1182804550_thumb.jpg

Edited by Totoro242

I would suggest maybe re-creating the background in this Kawamori illustration. Its a sweet picture.

Someone may have a better scan and if not I can take a clear picture of my poster.

Off topic: I really dig your pic. Thats my favorite Bjork song and one of the best videos ever :)

Thanks for the Kawamori illustration. Thanks for noticing the avatar. My favorite video for sure. I am a bit of a Bjorkaholic as well. Also a huge Miyazaki fan myslef and dig your totoro avatar. It was a bit difficult to see what is going on in the background of that poster. If you do have a better shot with less glare that would be sweet.

IPB ImageExample of mech bay.....

Looks like FoamCore board with styrene attached..

Check the tubing on wall,,

Labor Mech bay.....

WOW! That is a really sweet diorama! Great details. It looks like it is almost totally handmade, not using kits? I dont think I will be able to make anything that cool but this is great inspiration.

Thanks for the Kawamori illustration. Thanks for noticing the avatar. My favorite video for sure. I am a bit of a Bjorkaholic as well. Also a huge Miyazaki fan myslef and dig your totoro avatar. It was a bit difficult to see what is going on in the background of that poster. If you do have a better shot with less glare that would be sweet.

I'm too lazy to take pics right now, here's another image I stole from online.

post-1005-1183443499_thumb.jpg