My Japan Trip - Gundam, Girls and other Good Things

Anyways, I always laugh at this phenomona of "the grass is greener"... you have the europhiles who think europe can't do wrong, la la la, then you have the asiaphiles, who think that east asia is some sort of enlightened uber culture.

And then they all come to the crushing realization that Canada is the best of all :p

Truth, if it exists at all, lies in the dialectical space between a statement and its antithesis. Better to push at the boundaries of such a space, I think, than to potter about perpetually in the middle.

Edited by shiyao

For example. EVERY Japanese person I`ve EVER met over a meal has told me "ohashi jyouzu" or "wow, you`re good at using chopsticks". This is not only an ignorant thing to say (Dont they know the whole world has Chinese restaurants) but its robotic the way they ALL automatically say it when they see a foreigner use chopsticks.

And you`ll get over the "all Japanese are polite" myth pretty quick the 5th time an old man cuts in front of you at the convenience store or ATM.

The other thing Im always asked is "do you like japanese food", like maybe when Im in Japan I eat a packed lunch that I brought with me or just starve myself. Most of the Japanese in my lcollege class dont much like English food they eaither say it makes them fat or its too heavy. As far as the polite thing is concerned, n a busy train from Yokahama therewas this woman with loads of shopping standing trying to hold one of the straps and her shopping I was sat down and asked her in Japanese if she wanted my seat.She just stood there and stared. Eventually I convinced her she could sit down and just as she was going to a guy sat down in the place and just glared at me. Luckily my frined got up from his seat and she sat there instead.

Basically just shows you that there`s no real difference where ever you go London underground Tokyo Metro, the only difference is the trains are nicer on the Metro.

The other thing Im always asked is "do you like japanese food", like maybe when Im in Japan I eat a packed lunch that I brought with me or just starve myself.

Depending where you are in Japan, this could very easlily be a valid question. With all of the major American restaurant chains in Japan, it's really easy to never touch Japanese food.

Depending where you are in Japan, this could very easlily be a valid question. With all of the major American restaurant chains in Japan, it's really easy to never touch Japanese food.

I agree but I have been asked it in both the U.K and in Japan.

I always remember. When in Rome eat like the Romans.