Arm FAST packs on the VF-1

Graham

On the side at the rear of the launcher is a motor for the high-speed exhaust expelling fan and on the butt-end there is a service hatch for maintenance of the exhaust/launch system

That doesnt make sence, if fast packs is space only the fan is useless. Guess our great froating head had a differnt view of space back then or its some kind of overtech fan that anime magicly blows something to cool it down.

VF-1's sure don't have rear radar. (Flankers do) :)

Well, that is to say, the next-gen flankers do. Including my current favorite plane in the world, the Su-34. I've never seen that the Su-27 or the Su-33 Sea Flanker are equipped with it, but the -34, -35, and -37 are.

Man, you can not believe how hard I tried to convince the Lock On: Modern Air Combat guys to implement the rear facing radar in the code, so one of the next-gen flankers could be added at a later date, but they refused.

:angry::(

On the side at the rear of the launcher is a motor for the high-speed exhaust expelling fan and on the butt-end there is a service hatch for maintenance of the exhaust/launch system

That doesnt make sence, if fast packs is space only the fan is useless. Guess our great froating head had a differnt view of space back then or its some kind of overtech fan that anime magicly blows something to cool it down.

Well, since the exhaust is a gas, the fan could theoretically help move it out of the launcher. And I could see a need to get it out of there before it condenses and freezes inside the launcher. But basically you're right--how hard can it be to vent gas in space? Have any spacecraft used fans in this fashion?

It makes sense that the boosters are space only, but I don't see why they couldn't use the arm launchers inside Earth's atmosphere. Can the FAST pack parts be mounted piecemeal?

VF-1's sure don't have rear radar.  (Flankers do) :)

Well, that is to say, the next-gen flankers do. Including my current favorite plane in the world, the Su-34. I've never seen that the Su-27 or the Su-33 Sea Flanker are equipped with it, but the -34, -35, and -37 are.

Man, you can not believe how hard I tried to convince the Lock On: Modern Air Combat guys to implement the rear facing radar in the code, so one of the next-gen flankers could be added at a later date, but they refused.

:angry::(

OK, I just checked, and we both seem to be wrong. The only member of the Flanker series whose rear radar I could find confirmation of is the Su-27IB / Su-32 / Su-34.

There's so many Flanker variants I don't even try to keep them straight. I know *some* Flanker has rear radar, and that's good enough for me. :)

Of course, equally difficult is the sheer act of firing a rear-facing missile, as no matter what, it's going to be launched while the plane is going forward at 500kts, so it's got to go from -500 to 0 to 1500 kts quickly, if it's going to be any good. (Micro-missiles seem to be so agile it might be better to launch them forward and then have them do a 180)

It probably wouldn't be for extra ammuniton for the GU-11 Gunpod... The average infantry man carries only about 180 rounds on him (dependent on the type of rifle... taking the M-16A2 as a reference here...) so for a Valkyrie to carry 200 rounds in the gun pod, along with a wing mounted payload, as well as the anti-aircraft lasers... The damned thing is over armed as it is... to say nothing about mounting FAST Packs on the thing.

Micro missiles it is. Nothing more, nothing less.

• 4 months later...
The NP-AR-01 (addition left and right arm "super parts") armored weapons are merely micro-missile launchers. They hold 3 larger-sized Crasher Grenade/Micro Missiles each. Within the structure of the launcher at the base there is a long duct for exhaust expelling for the lower missile (see image) and a series of vents. On the side at the rear of the launcher is a motor for the high-speed exhaust expelling fan and on the butt-end there is a service hatch for maintenance of the exhaust/launch system. You can also see the special hard point connectors atop the launcher:

In Shoji Kawamori's notes, the arm missiles are just called micro-missiles, not "Crasher Grenades." (Grenade Crushers are the name of the shoulder, chest, and leg missiles on the GBP-1S protector weapon system, not the arm missiles on the FAST Pack system.) Mr. Kawamori's notes do not refer to a exhaust fan in the system. The aft cover is called the missile launch exhaust port cover, not a service or maintenance hatch.

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_...s/variable/vf1/

The GH-30B may indeed have a collapsible body.... and if it does then the purpose would be to conserve space. Folded/retracted control surfaces and a shorter body of the micro missile would allow for more missiles to be stored than ones that did not have these features.

According to Shoji Kawamori's design, the GH-30B does not have a collapsible body.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add a observation.

The "Mini Missiles" int FM arm units have the same diameter as the MM's

in the UUM-7 15-tube micro-missile pod x 1 (Bifors HMM-01 micro-missiles).

I always assumed that was what they were.

The "Crasher Grenades" were the forearm mounted munitions on the GBP armor system, not the Fast Pack.

Yes I am aware of assumptions and there dangerous tendencies

I am contemplating a Kitbash of some FP forearms(1/48) and replacing the Micro Missiles in each unit with some left over shoulder guns from a Gundam Wing Zero. (Not custom) and adding a slide-in P90 clip like false magazine detail under the barrel assembly of each. Or maybe a combat knife sheath (with knife of course). These mods could be made without making them permanent the way the 1/48's forearm pods are constructed.

>>Has a kitbash daydream. :)