Tekkaman Blade 90s remake...

Akilae

Does anybody know if the 90s remake of Tekkaman Blade ever had a DVD release, official or otherwise? So far I've only been able to find the original 80s series, which I'm not too hot about... and Tekkaman Blade II, which is nice, but I want to relive D-boy's story....

I remember seeing Tekkaman Blade 10 years ago on a Chinese cable channel back in the Philippines. The animation is remarkable and the story is very interesting. One of the more tolerable Masami Obari titles (dunno if resident Obari hater DestroidsRage will agree with that, though).

As for a DVD release, only time will tell, as Haim Saban still owns the rights to the series. I still can't forgive him for butchering the series and putting it on TV as Teknoman.

Tekkaman: The Space Knight was only released on VHS here in the states, and I've only seen one tape years ago, never thought of getting it, looked really lame.

Tekkaman Blade however, never saw an "offical" english dvd release and most likely never will....it just didn't hit well here compared to Australia or Canada. I'm afraid your only hope of seeing I think all 48 episodes of Tekkaman Blade is buying the HK boxset which you can find on Ebay easily for 50 bucks.

I tried downloading the series but it's in horrible quality and is Real Player so it wasn't as memerable as it should of been : / but atleast once it was canceled in the states, they rewrote alot of the script, and started calling D-Boy "Blade" instead of "Slade" and I think went to "Tekkaman" instead of "Teknoman" but I wasn't sure.

Right about the International Dub switching to Blade, but it was still called Teknoman in Australia.

Damn you Cheez TV! You repeated it something like 5 times in 18 months years ago but now when we really would like to see it....

Cyc

Guess it's imported HK DVDs then... anybody know any decent sites that carry imports? animeart.com seems to have a pretty good selection, but doesn't come across as a very trustworthy site according to some opinions I've seen...

I would recommend getting the HK set. Not only do you get the show unedited but you get cool extras. You'll be able to view three OVA specials that fill in blanks in the story. First is Twin Blood; it's a short retelling of the first D-Boy/Shinya battle. Next is Burning Clock; it reveals a tragic chapter in the Aiba family history. Finally Missing Ling; this happens in the ten year span between Tekkaman Blade 1 & 2. It also reveals how Aki became a Tekkaman and the events of Black September. Listen if you're not familar with the original story and only know about the Saban hack job, read this:

Tekkaman Blade/D-Boy= Slade/Blade or Ness/Nick

Tekkaman Evil/Sabre= Shinya/Kain

Tekkaman Aki= Star ( Yes that's Star in Tekkaman Blade 2; she becomes the new Red Tekkaman in Missing Ling.)

Aiba family= Carter family

Black September- when rogue Tekkamen took over Prague/Paloof due to promblems with the military. The military dropped a atomic bomb because of fear of these emancipated Tekkamen.

Does anybody know if the 90s remake of Tekkaman Blade ever had a DVD release, official or otherwise?

I dont know if Tatsunoko ever gave it a DVD release. However, it would seem that they are presently transfering a number of titles to DVD so Im sure if it hasn't been done yet it will be in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY got my grubby lil paws on a set... after blitzing through a portion (caught the three specials first....), a couple of things...

1) I couldn't help but chuckle at how the animation improved as the show went along... by the last episode, Blade really looked like a 90s anime instead of the 80s-style at the beginning of the series. Megazone 23 also went through this change I think... Also got reminded how spoiled anime fans are these days by 21st-century animation... 80s-90s style limited animation and stock footage gets really tiring after the first two viewings...

2) I had finished Nadesico just before this.... and I couldn't help having flashbacks to Gekiganger...

3) The three specials, how long are they supposed to be? I think I got the first two, but only got a preview of "Missing Ling(Link?)".... haven't been able to find a lot by googling either....

4) I still don't get what happened between Tekkaman and Tekkaman II...

*SPOILERS......* like anybody's gonna pick up this anime again.....

D-Boy forgot everything at the end of the original. And from the Missing Ling/Link "preview", it seems that he suffers from diminished faculties, ie, he's mentally challenged. But in Tekkaman II, we see D-Boy walking about and conversing with everybody quite normally..... now what really happened in those ten years again?

What are these three specials? I have the standard "Starknight Tekkaman Blade" 1-49 boxed HK set, but theres no extras or anything. I dunno. Maybe I just havent gotten to them yet. I only have one more disk left... Dunno...

Masami Obari is slowly growing in my mind.. He designed the Dancougar robots! He actually did a good ammount of good stuff. I just dont trust him in the directing chair at all. Megazone 23 Part III, Platnimhugen Ordian, Gravion, theyre just all amazing piles of festering crap!!! Obari has that "Lets make everything psychological and add weird plot twists that are just STUPID!" philosophy about making anime, and its /so not cool/. I want to slap him for what he did to Eve in Part III, and I want to scream at him for ever making something as freakin wiggy as Ordian. But he does have tallent.

But I do like Tekkaman Blade. Its just a weird retelling of the original Tekkaman series, but its cool. Its no cooler than the original series, or at least it hasnt been so far. I'll always prefer Tekkamns Tekka-Dart, where he shoots off that little throwing star thing on his forehead, to Tekkaman Blades Volktekka. I mean, whats cooler? An all powerful throwing star thing that can blow through virtually anything and rip apart tons of enemies causing mayhem and destruction? Or the typical, overuses, big powerful Anime Beam?

The original Tekkaman yelled better, did his move grunts better, and he said "PEGAS! TEKSETA!!" /so/ much cooler than Blade ever could. I think the original Tekkaman is superior to Tekkaman Blade. The only thing that Original Tekkaman needed was a good guy fighter that /wasnt tekkaman/. Thats why I really like Tekkaman Blade. Pegas can transform, and theres Sol Tekkamn 1&2!! You have to love a powered armor with a massive energy gun! But yah!

I like all powered armor shows.. Cashaan, Guystars, Borgman, Tekkaman, Mospeada, Metal Jack, Machine Robo, and Im sure theres ton that Im missing... Powered Armor shows are the best ^__^.

-BEN-MAN-

What are these three specials? I have the standard "Starknight Tekkaman Blade" 1-49 boxed HK set, but theres no extras or anything. I dunno. Maybe I just havent gotten to them yet. I only have one more disk left... Dunno...

Yeah, I think that's the set I have... folds onto itself, right?

The latter part of the last disk is full of special "features" like transformation sequences, OP, ED, etc.. and the three specials.

I heard there's a Japanese anime of Starship Troopers, full of powered armor and such. Guyver is also a must for armor, although I only saw the manga.

If you're not particular about what you watch, I rather liked Detonator Orgun, a virtual copy of Tekkaman Blade in terms of suit design, but I thought it was a rather short and fast-paced anime. There's a U.S. release of Detonator Orgun, 1 DVD.

Yah. Studio Nue did the Anime of Starship Troopers, although its dissapeared into the void. I dont think anyone will ever see it again. Last time I checked one person on this forum had 3 episodes on an ancient messed up tape that he was trying to remaster, but other than that.

And yah, Guyver and Detonator Orgun are cool, I havent seen them, but I've seen a lot of pictures and read about them and stuff. Hell, tons of those Obari things are power armor shows. Theres a bunch of shows that sound like "Detonator Orgun" that are also powered armor shows I think. And of course theres Moldiver, Generator Gawl, and Project Arms. High Speed Jecy is also a powered armor show, althouth I have no way of verifying that, hardly any information exists for it.

At any rate.

-BEN-MAN-

Dude! Did you guys notice this?

The entire time I was watching Tekkaman Blade I was thinking "Damn. I wish there'd be a cameo of the original Tekkaman or something." And my wishing payed off!!! I didnt get the original tekkaman.. But two of the main characters from the original series! Joji and his girlfriend! When the Radam Flowers are attacking earth, Joji is helping people get into one of the Space Elevators, and then he meets the girl from original Tekkaman, and its so bloody cool! Check it out!!! Its kind of funny hearing /him/ say "Everything will be ok, we have Tekkamn Blade!" LOL ^__^ Being that he's the /original/ Tekkaman.

I want his freakin hair man!!

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/uploads/po...-1067072266.jpg

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/uploads/po...-1067072296.jpg

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/uploads/po...-1067072320.jpg

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/uploads/po...-1067072347.jpg

And on a different note, the future Sol Tekkamen from one of the specials were pretty cool. Its odd that they designed them to only be in 4 seconds of a tiny Special, LOL ^__^

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/uploads/po...-1067072405.jpg

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/uploads/po...-1067072460.jpg

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/uploads/po...-1067072495.jpg

Pretty sweet eh? But yah man! Joji! In Tekkaman Blade! Its so frikkin cool!

At any rate ^__^

-BEN-MAN-