Superman Redeemed

I came across the existence of this recently and finally had the opportunity to watch it. Some of you may have already heard of Adigitalman and the edits he's done of various movies. He's really quite talented. This one really piqued my interest though because as it was advertised "two imperfect movies merged into one cohesive movie!". I really wanted to see how they did it. I absolutely loathe Superman 4 and Superman 3 is a guilty pleasure at best. Both have some good scenes despite being surrounded by campy cringeworthy nonsense.

Honestly, Adigitalman did a REALLY good job. He took all the good parts of Superman 3 & 4 plus some scenes from the Lester version of Superman 2 and unused footage from Superman 2: The Donner Cut and arranged the scenes so it made logical sense. Richard Pryor and the evil corporate profiteers are completely gone as is the super computer, John Cryer has minimal screen time, and the Daily Planet tabloid takeover and ALL of the annoying characters involved are completely absent. The basic lynch pin bridging the two movies is that the Paris terrorist bomb from Lester's Superman 2 is the catalyst to the nuclear arms removal. The Lana Lang story is completey in tact. Instead of tar kryptonite, Nuclear Man's scratch is what causes Evil Superman. So most of those Evil Superman scenes are there. Luthor is the big bad and the unused prison break sequence from the Donner Cut is cleverly used.

It's not perfect though, mainly because of the source material, and there's some abrupt cuts from scene to scene which were kind of unavoidable. However, this has effectively replaced Superman 3 & 4 for me now. I can watch all the good parts of 3 & 4 in ONE ninety minute viewing and without most of the cringeworthy moments from both of those movies. It even makes for a watchable sequel to Superman 2: The Donner Cut.

Definitely recommended.

Wonder if they can do something with Superman Returns. :ph3ar:

Just checking out his site for the first time so I can't comment on how good it is but it does looks like he's done something...

http://www.fanedit.org/true_fanedits/adm_s...an_returns.html

This looks like a complete list of films he'd edited...

http://www.fanedit.org/faneditors/adm_all1.html

Carl

Wonder if they can do something with Superman Returns. :ph3ar:

He did, but it didn't pique my interest as much. The only positive I could see about his cut is that it removed the Stalkerman elements which didn't bother me all that much anyway.

The Austin Powers cuts with the deleted scenes re-inserted are worth a look-see too. Goldmember's a better movie with them in.

I just watched a fan edit of Star Trek Generations with Kirk completely edited out, and if anything, the movie, as flawed as it is, is better with him edited out. Makes me realize even more how poorly conceived and haphazzardly put together the movie was just to have Kirk and Picard on screen together.