M.A.M.E.

Ladic

today my joystick arrived, although it was different from what the picture in the website showed, but it came with a trackball (wasnt supposed to) so I cant complain.

I'm one step closer to building my mame arcade machine :D

IPB Image

IPB Image

Nice stick. Not too crowded, but still functional for more than just Street Fighter and company.

Wish I had room for a MAME cab right now(or even just a control panel...).

I've got a rough plan for a control panel, though. It'll be scratch-built.

And none of this jack-of-all-trades stuff. Modular design.

I figure if you're gonna sink the cash into getting a decent arcade control, may as well go all-out and have close controls for all the major stuff.

A 4-way stick, a pair of 8-way sticks, a trackball, and a spinner, plus a few button panels oughta be enough for most purposes.

Being able to swap parts out keeps you from getting overrun with spare controls(like buttons under the trackball and a 4-way stick above it), and ensures you aren't trying to make the game's button layout fit TOO alien an arrangement. A lot of the classics just don't play worth crap on the traditional Street Fighter layout, so I assume a couple sets of button panels to be a requirement for my purposes. Also lets me do a proper Asteroids panel.

And if I ever start caring, I can add rotary sticks and other exotic inputs.

I'd skip the 4-way stick, but Qix.

I have a big mame collection which I haven't looked at for ages. Might go play some now!

And with your trackball you can play Marble Madness like it was meant to be played!

I have a big mame collection which I haven't looked at for ages. Might go play some now!

And with your trackball you can play Marble Madness like it was meant to be played!

And Missile Command too!

And Quantum, but I'm probably the only person that cares.

And Missile Command too!

And Quantum, but I'm probably the only person that cares.

lol, and that makes us so old that we'll probably be dead soon and nobody will remember at all. :p

lol, and that makes us so old that we'll probably be dead soon and nobody will remember at all. :p

Actually, Missile Command's older than I am.

Going by age, I should be square in the Nintendo era. By all rights I should have never touched anything from the Atari era.

Needless to say, I'm a bit of an anomaly.

Ahh.. good ol mame. I started using mame back in 98 on my old PC, then downloaded it for my mac and been playing old arcade games on my mac for like the longest time just using the keyboard! lol.

My problem with MAME is that there are so many games, I don't know what to play!!! And the roms are confusing sometimes, I will think I have all the parts but then it will reject it as incomplete?

Anyway, for you guys with the big widescreen televisions, you can better the X-Men arcade game by getting MAME to display both monitors simultaneously without the centreline. It's amazing. Probably the closest to the original game you are ever going to get.

Any other games out there that can take advantage of this?

Any suggestions on what truely are some of the best MAME games to play? I can never decide what to play when I use MAME. Also, what do I have to download to get all the marquees and especially the preview screens so I know what game is what? I have an audited MAME collection downloaded that was like 13GB but it had no preview screens which other collections I've tried had.

Edited by ComicKaze

My problem with MAME is that there are so many games, I don't know what to play!!! And the roms are confusing sometimes, I will think I have all the parts but then it will reject it as incomplete?

Anyway, for you guys with the big widescreen televisions, you can better the X-Men arcade game by getting MAME to display both monitors simultaneously without the centreline. It's amazing. Probably the closest to the original game you are ever going to get.

Any suggestions on what truely are some of the best MAME games to play? I can never decide what to play when I use MAME. Also, what do I have to download to get all the marquees and especially the preview screens so I know what game is what? I have an audited MAME collection downloaded that was like 13GB but it had no preview screens which other collections I've tried had.

Well if you do only arcade games, then of course you gotta play the classics! like double dragon, shinobi, street, mercs, teenage mutant ninja turtles, ninja gaiden, and other classics. Damn I love playing those games! :D:p:lol:

Well if you do only arcade games, then of course you gotta play the classics! like double dragon, shinobi, street, mercs, teenage mutant ninja turtles, ninja gaiden, and other classics. Damn I love playing those games! :D:p:lol:

Trojan!

Old school Ninja Gaiden, but it's super hard near the end.

lol ya it sure is. I would've taking me like 10 bucks worth of quarters to finish that last part! but good ol mame, all you gotta do is hit the 5 button like 100 times to get all those credits. lol. Here's some of the games I have:

Aliens

Aliens vs Predator

Bubble Bobble

Contra

Captain America and the Avengers

Double Dragon 1, 2 and 3

Dig Dug

Donkey Kong 1 and 3

Donkey Kong Jr.

Elevator Action

Final Fight

Eswat

Gunsmoke

Karate Champ

Ikari Warriors

Indiana Jones

Kung Fu

Legendary Wings

Mr. Do

Mrs. Pac Man

Narc

Ninja Spirit

Punisher

Puzzle Bobble

POW

Popeye

Rampage

Raiden

Robocop

Rolling Thunder 1 and 2

Shinobi

Shadow Dancer

Space Gun

Splatterhouse

Street Fighter

Simpsons

Spiderman

Super Punch out

Spy Hunter

Street Smart

Strider

Star Wars

Superman

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Tron

Trojan

Twin Cobra

Vigilante

Xmen

Zaxxon

Zombie Raid

I have more but the others aren't worth mentioning. hehe. Old skool games rock!

Macross is pretty good. I haven't played mame in a while. Too many modern games I haven't finished.

I remember always using the Neorage emulator to play neogeo roms though.

Man that was awesome being able to play metal slug 1 and then going into the arcade totally prepared for every boss and not dying because I had learnt all the patterns by playing it at home. heh.

One of my old fave emulators back in the mid-late 90s was this one called callus. It was a CPS1 emulator that allowed you to play all the old capcom classics like street fighter II, Captain commando, final fight, strider, king of dragons, area 88, warriors of fate and many others. Mainly they were walk-along beat em ups but because it was so well made it allowed you to play at decent framerate on a low end system. So it was a real joy to be able to go back and play these game again at full speed with sound and very little glitches.

My first emulator was really for gameboy games that I couldn't find. So being able to play arcade titles that I was addicted on pc was exciting. The reason is because often the development team that tries to convert these arcade games doesn't do a perfect job (even street fighter II on snes and megadrive don't feel good) or miss out on some crucual thing that changes the gameplay of the game and as a hardcore fan of that arcade game, you can tell the differences between the arcade version and the ported version of that title on a home pc or console. That's when I was really into emulators.

But these days..you can get good accurate emulated versions by the companies that release them as compilations now, so some of the excitement of emulators (well for me anyway) has worn off a bit. For example the PS2 is getting a megadrive compilation with some good old school classic titles. But if you don't have any money you can't complain about the emulators on pc since they are free. :D Just that nowadays, some of the best scrolling modern 2d hand drawn platform shooters like the metal slug series and KingOfFighters can be had in compilations all on a single cd legit. These are really the only games that tend to have held my attention for long as fan of those specific games.

But for the really old school: (donkey kong, pac man, mario bros, galaga etc) the emulation scene really helps to preserve the games long after they are no longer easy to find. (even if they are popular for thier day, the chances of seeing them in modern arcade today is pretty slim) So it is more a nostalgia trip more than anything. Games like the original contra can only really hold my attention for a little while. Double Dragon? You can win the game doing the elbow because the enemy ai and balance is poor. (they fixed this a bit in no.2)

But some of the gameplay of the true classic is still just as addictive back then as it is today. Once in a while I play final fight and can win this in a single credit on the hardest difficulty. Great fast paced gameplay, enemies that vary in thier attack speed,range and style, and take advantage of that by working together, bosses that ca kill you in a few hits unless you know thier weakness (abigail the wrestler is a fave of mine) and lots of choice in how you like to fight. (good character design on cody, guy, and haggar.) The massive sprite engine to handle the details and animate them so their moves look unique is also impressive.

But with the release of games like samurai showdown 6 (I like this series if fighter) on ps2 I really feel like I've gone through my whole emulator phase.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

2 possibilities on ROM sets.

1 is you got a "child" ROM set. MAME sets typically only include the ROM images that are actually different for variants of a game, so only one "parent" game works standalone.

2 is that your ROM images are from a different version of MAME than your current one. The MAME team has been known to find missing ROMs they'd simulated in code, or just that they "miswired" everything, and images get added, deleted, and shuffled. It's a pain in the ass, but apps such as ClrMAME Pro can help with it.

http://www.clrmame.com/clrmame.htm

Darius 2(2-screen version) can.

Darius, Darius 2, and Ninja Warriors can beat the pants off of XMen with THREE screens in a row! Taito didn't play games!

Well, they did, but not when designing them. Or something.

Any suggestions on what truely are some of the best MAME games to play? I can never decide what to play when I use MAME.

Aside from the obvious "Capcom/SNK fighters"?

In my current set of MAME games, I'd recommend...

*Asteroids.

*Missile Command.

Star Wars.

Tempest.

And from companies OTHER than Atari, I'd recommend...

Arkanoid series.

Armed Police Batrider.

*Berzerk.

*Bubbles.

Darius Gaiden.

Dig Dug.

Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr.

Elevator Action.

*Joust.

Jungle Hunt.

Macross.

Moon Patrol.

New Rally-X.

Robotron.

RType series.

Sinistar.

Space Dungeon.

*Qix.

Stars for the top 6 on the list.

'S hardly a comprehensive list, and I skipped some stuff just because I can't remember what it is(or if it's any good... I've got a bunch of scrolling shooters in here that all run together).

I tend to occasionally hit a ROM image site, grab a bunch of random games, and add them to the collection.

When I just want to play, I usually use a frontend with a random game button, and poke it until I see something good.

(Specifically, I use EmuLoader. http://www.mameworld.net/emuloader/ )

Also dug the two Dungeons & Dragons games, Golden Axe 1 & 2, Battle Toads, Hit the Ice, In the Hunt, Mazinger Z, WWF Wrestlemania, Sky Kid, Sunset Riders, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, Vendetta,

Edited by baronv

Noice!

Man i haven't fired up MAME in years, i don't even know if i have it on my new comp. come to think of it. Looks like you guys have got some of the best hits, but i didn't see anyone mention the awesome, but often unknown Armored Warriors by Capcom. If you've played any of the other Capcom beat em ups from the 1990's you've got the basic idea. But it's got a new twist, you actually pilot Giant Robots from the get go. And by Giant Robots i mean stuff you'd find in the Front Mission Series more than something from Gundam or Transformers. After you defeat certain enemies you can actually pick up parts they drop and interchange them with your own machine, basically like picking up a knife in final fight or something along those lines... except that the new part stays with you until death or you interchange it again. There's everything from drill and flame arms to tracks for quicker mobility. I actually list it as my fav. beat em up topping even the awesome Alien Vs. Predator. Well that's my 2 cents. I gotta go find my MAME cd now.

Edited by Veritas

Looks like you guys have got some of the best hits, but i didn't see anyone mention the awesome, but often unknown Armored Warriors by Capcom. If you've played any of the other Capcom beat em ups from the 1990's you've got the basic idea.

!

I used to have that one. It was awesome.

They also did a street fighter based on it called Cyberbots. That's where Marvel VS Capcom's Jin came from(KLOV claims Jin was actually the lead from Armored Warriors, but everything else I've seen says he's the son of the lead).

!

I used to have that one. It was awesome.

They also did a street fighter based on it called Cyberbots. That's where Marvel VS Capcom's Jin came from(KLOV claims Jin was actually the lead from Armored Warriors, but everything else I've seen says he's the son of the lead).

Yeaps, I remember Cyberbots. Played it at my local arcade a couple of times, before I even knew they had previously made a beat em up involving a lot of the same robots. Pretty good fighting game. I picked up for my MAME as well but I could never get back into like I did when it was that arcade. I’m guessing it was the fact that I was using my old MS Sidewinder so the controls were a lot more clunky than they were on a genuine arcade cabinet. I’m sure if you had an arcade cabinet controller set up like Ladic just got it would be a pretty enjoyable experience though.

BTW i knew Jin had something to do with Cyberbots since he and his mech were in it, but i had no idea there was a connection with Armored Warriors, but it looks like you're on to something there. Only skimmed through these since i'm still at work heh.

Up on Wikipedia this is the brief information i could garner from both games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armored_Warriors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberbots

JB0, nice games list. Anything Atari + Vector = coolness. EL is also the shiznit. You are my long lost brother after all.

I use this for my emulator control needs:

hey, that is the Joystick I ordered last week, but instead of getting that, I got the one in the pictures I posted on the first post.

It came with a free trackball, so I cant complain. :D

hey, that is the Joystick I ordered last week, but instead of getting that, I got the one in the pictures I posted on the first post.

It came with a free trackball, so I cant complain. :D

Not bad at all :). I'd very much like an integrated trackball and spinner. Who'd you order through? And what sort of dosh are we talking?

IIRC, I bought my Hotrod back in '99 or '00 for $100.00... Through a special advertised on JoseQ's EmuViews :lol:

Not bad at all :). I'd very much like an integrated trackball and spinner. Who'd you order through? And what sort of dosh are we talking?

IIRC, I bought my Hotrod back in '99 or '00 for $100.00... Through a special advertised on JoseQ's EmuViews :lol:

I ordered straight from their website

they charged me $100 + $20 shipping

Edited by Ladic