Retail in Japan

BerserkFuhrer

Just out of curiosity, how much do Macross toys retail for in Japan, I am taking a trip there in the coming weeks. Is there any price difference from US import prices?

Thanks

Well I cant say for definately about Yen vs US$ prices but definenately cheaper from my U.K POV. Yammie 1/48`s work out at about £50ish the newer ones may be more now you can find CSM`s for 399Y other stuff is cheaper too. Transformer Binaltechs for about £10. Just look arround and never buy it as soon as you see it if its a current item, as just arround the corner you`ll find it a few bucks cheaper. Just checkout the stores in the area you go to then go back to the one you liked the price from best.

You'll have to do your own research on pricing and availability (and I suspect currency conversion), nevertheless, imports are by their very nature, expensive. Here's a simple breakdown of why:

distributor cost (sometimes retailer cost) + overseas transport + brokerage fee + customs fee + tariff + transport to retailer + (currency conversion & small buffer in case exchange rates change) + retailer mark-up = 2 to 10 times the retail cost in Japan.

Even direct-mail purchases are more expensive:

retail cost + shipping + currency conversion fee + wire-transfer fee.

Of course, coming to Japan intails costs of their own, but that's something which can be balanced by the experience of travelling in Japan and looking at the merchandise before spending any money. ;)

Hope this helps.

When I was last there (2 winters ago) I found the prices on yamato/macross stuff to be pretty much in line with what you would find here in the states. Then again, I really didn't have time to real look around akihabara so I'm sure I wasn't finding the best deals.

Just out of curiosity, how much do Macross toys retail for in Japan, I am taking a trip there in the coming weeks. Is there any price difference from US import prices?

Thanks

haha! Prepare for a feast and bring some extra crates and credit cards!

You should pay 50-75% of what online retailers charge. Make a trip to their TRU's as well. Their TRU's have sale items at crazy prices when they want to clear stock.

Judging by your nick, you are a Zoid collector too? They have nice OJR stuff there, but its not cheap.