OT for the Computer Gurus

Knight26

Ok here is an odd one. I have had this computer for years and the problem has never really been a problem since I have always used a wireless network connection. But since I went to a cable modem I am curious to see just how much faster a connection a hard line would be. So I hooked up my ethernet cable to the router, and nothing. The computer will not see the hardline connection to the router, only the wireless. Checking the network connections it sees the wireless and the two 1394 firewire connections, which are not in use. The router does not even register the cable being hooked up and I know it is a good cable because I have used it hook up to laptop before. So here is my question, is my LAN card hosed, or is there some magic I have to work in order to get it to work? Also in the device manager it does not appear.

If it's not even in the device manager, there are two possibilities that I can think of. One is that the LAN card is hosed, two is that the OS does not recognize it for whatever reason.

You can try adding a hardware and get it to auto-detect again, to see if it pops up. Alternatively, you can try manually adding it.. is it an on-mobo LAN socket or separate?

Personally, I've always used a landline to my router, even after I swapped to a laptop (after a PC meltdown). The difference is speed of a 802.11g and a landline connected to a 512KB ADSL is appreciable.

Take your lan card and try it in another PC. If it works, then it is a strong chance there is something wrong with your MB. Also, try it in another PCI slot. There may be something wrong with that slot in particular. If it does not show up in your device manager, then it is not being recognized at all. There are many possibilities as to what is wrong, but those are the places I would start first.

Knight,

If you have an integrated LAN on the mobo, here's a couple of things to check. First, enter BIOS and make sure that your onboard LAN is enabled. Assuming that's ok, then go to your mainboard manufacturer's website and download and install the latest chipset driver package. If your ethernet controller still doesn't show up in device manager, sounds like a mainboard and/or driver problem. You could always throw a cheap PCI LAN card in if the mobo doesn't want to play ball.

If it's a built-in NIC on the mobo and your computer doesn't see the NIC, you may want to check the BIOS settings. You may also want to update the chipset drivers on your mobo. If neither of those work, then it's probably 'hosed' and I don't think you can do anything about it since it's built into the mobo.... You're only alternative would be to buy another NIC that'll fit into your PCI slots or go back to wireless.

Edit: Hiriyu beat me to it. (I must type too slow.)

Edited by Oihan

So the setup you have is cable modem > wireless router > computer , right?

Your wireless is working, so we can assume that the cable modem is working and the router is working to some degree. Let's test your computer ethernet. You said the router doesn't even register the cable connection, so just unplug the router for a minute and connect the computer straight to the cable modem. If the cable modem works, the problem is with the router.

If the cable modem doesn't light up the ethernet light, is either the ethernet cable or your ethernet card.

Check another cable, just to make sure... and make sure you are not using a crossover cable either.

On Control Panel > System > Network Connections

Make sure the network card is not disabled (gray). Right click and try to enable it.

If still doesn't work, go to

Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager

check on network adapters if your is listed, if it is turned on and there is no yellow question mark or conflicts on it.

I hope it helps...

Hope it helps

The only thing that hasn't been mentioned is to remove the NIC card (i'm assuming it's PCI) and clean the connections then re-seat it on the mobo. If you have a spare PCI slot, try the NIC card in the spare slot; or if you have a spare PCI device of any kind, try it on the slot the NIC is in to test if it works. If all else fails go pick up a NIC card for 20 bucks at best buy (so long as the PCI slots are in working order).

You shouldn't have any adverse affects running both wireless and ethernet at the same time. I've had both running on my laptop at the same time and didn't notice anything adverse happening. I still have yet to determine if one overrode the other or if they were both working at them same time.

Quick question what would happen if I tried to run both the wireless and the ethernet at the same time?

Nothing should happen. I do it from time to time on my laptop, and there doesn't seem to be much of a difference. It's harder to determine which connection the OS is choosing to use for comparison purposes though.