I freakin' love my PSP

Valkyrie

First, you need to be running custom (hacked) firmware. Version 3.02 OE-B, to be exact.

To install OE-B, you need to be running the original Sony firmware, version 1.50.

If you're not, you MAY be able to downgrade to 1.5, if you're running version 2.8 or below. BUT you have to be careful. Most of the downgraders only work with the original version of the PSP's motherboard. There's been two updated motherboards (versions TA-082 and TA-086), and if you have one of those and try to downgrade, it'll trash your PSP. Aparently there's a TA-082 downgrader out now too, but I haven't looked into it too much.

But anyway, to get VFX2 to load, you need to install OE-B, install the ISO converter, called Popstation, on your computer, and use it to convert ISOs of your PS1 games. It'll create a EBOOT.PBP file, which you'll need to copy onto your memory stick.

You'll also need to use your Playstation 3 to buy and download Hot Shots Golf 2 (or just download it with Bittorrent :p ), as Popstation will need those files in order to convert your ISOs.

I'd try to explain a bit more thoroughly, but I've gotta go to work now -_-

First release PSP: check. Imported it when it was first released in Japan.

1.50 firmware: check. I'm sure I own a game with 1.50 added on the UMD

PS3: damn, Don't own one and not planning on getting one.

Thanks for explaining the procedure, I'm sure someone else will follow your instructions and enjoy VFX2 on their PSP.

1.50 firmware: check. I'm sure I own a game with 1.50 added on the UMD

PS3: damn, Don't own one and not planning on getting one.

You actually need to have firmware 1.5 installed, not just have the update file on a UMD (unless you're still running 1.0 on your japanese PSP). If you upgraded to something higher, you'll need to downgrade.

As for the PS3, you can get around that step by downloading Hot Shots 2 via bittorrent. I know it's listed on Torrentspy.

It's just that those files are needed for Popstation, but they are illegal to distribute. Using a PS3 to download it is the legal way to get it done.

You can read up on most of this stuff on pspupdates.com, and download most of the files you'll need there too. But if you're new to the scene, it can be a lot of info to take in at once.

Good luck!

I knew this thread was coming...

Made a few threads on other forums but I nearly got myself banned due to rules, and warez with all this.

Hoping this thread does not get deleted.

Homebrew is just as good with the original firmware so don't worry.

Don't blame me if you screwed your PSP.

Article With Links to Firmware

Same Like Above But Has A Tutorial & More Links - Very Useful

Some Emulator About Loading Up The Firmware With Saved Data & A Whole Bunch of Other Crap That's Used With The Firmware

I hope these links hep you guys out. ^_^

(*cough* a thank you would be nice *cough*)

Edit: Make sure you do not have Firmware 2.80 or you are are screwed with no ability to upgrade the firmware.

Edited by Ishimaru

yer slow!

:D

That is a much better pic though than my cell phone camera pics.

Be sure to tweak the screensize and controls by hitting home. It plays better with the nub than the d-pad. Honestly.. I'm having more fun playing Symphony of the Night than VFX2 ^^;

I need to get around to throwing the DYRL game on it... I'm sure it will play fine.

Let's see.. what emulated Macross games do we have on the PSP:

Macross 2036 (Plays fine, the emu has some sync issues with the MP3 audio)

Macross Eternal Love Song (haven't tested but I'm sure it plays)

Famicon Macross

Super Famicon Macross

Gameboy Macross 7

Wonderswan Macross (haven't tested but it is likely that the Wonderswan emu will play it.)

PSX Digital Mission Macross VFX

PSX Macross VFX2

PSX Macross Plus Game Edition

PSX Macross DYRL (Likely, not tested)

Now if someone would make a decent MAME port to the PSP we'd be playing Super Space Fortress Macross, Macross 2 and Macross Plus arcade.

Edited by Lance

You actually need to have firmware 1.5 installed, not just have the update file on a UMD (unless you're still running 1.0 on your japanese PSP). If you upgraded to something higher, you'll need to downgrade.

As for the PS3, you can get around that step by downloading Hot Shots 2 via bittorrent. I know it's listed on Torrentspy.

It's just that those files are needed for Popstation, but they are illegal to distribute. Using a PS3 to download it is the legal way to get it done.

You can read up on most of this stuff on pspupdates.com, and download most of the files you'll need there too. But if you're new to the scene, it can be a lot of info to take in at once.

Good luck!

I've always upgraded whenever a new firmwareupdate was released so I'm up the 3.01 now.

I've never had a good reason to get into the homebrew stuf until I saw your post above so, yes I'm new to the scene.

(*cough* a thank you would be nice *cough*)

Edit: Make sure you do not have Firmware 2.80 or you are are screwed with no ability to upgrade the firmware.

Thanks for the links.

Like I posted above, I'm already way beyond 2.80. Am I screwed?

Finally the PSP is getting put to good use! How big is your memory stick? With ISO's being around 400 - 600mb you'd be only able to fit a few games per stick? Also, does the emulator know to save your games back onto the memory stick? Finally, is there any frameskip?

I've got a 4 gig.... and 2x 2 gigs, a 1 gig, and a 512meg :p

I've been into the whole PSP hacking scene since the beginning :)

Fortunately, memory sticks have gotten a hell of a lot cheaper. In fact, Fry's has a 4GB card on sale for $80 right now. I'm tempted to pick up a second one ^_^

Though actually, PSP compatible ISOs are likely to get a lot smaller at some point. The ones you download with the PS3 use some kind of compression, which hasn't been hacked yet. Once that compression can be incorperated into Popstation, PSP ISOs will be a lot smaller.

I've always upgraded whenever a new firmwareupdate was released so I'm up the 3.01 now.

I've never had a good reason to get into the homebrew stuf until I saw your post above so, yes I'm new to the scene.

Thanks for the links.

Like I posted above, I'm already way beyond 2.80. Am I screwed?

Maybe, give it a shot though it could work.

Finally the PSP is getting put to good use! How big is your memory stick? With ISO's being around 400 - 600mb you'd be only able to fit a few games per stick? Also, does the emulator know to save your games back onto the memory stick? Finally, is there any frameskip?

Nope, most games play flawlessly, PAL would probably be the glitchiest of the games but that's just the knowledge I see around the net.

Crap now I need to decide between a PSP or a PS3. :(

Ishimaru: If you have Longs Drugs around your area, check to see if they still have any PSP Bundle left for sale (they are clearing out those for $150). Most of the PSPs are old stock, which means the firmware can be easily upgrade/downgrade. So far I have seen firmware 1.52 and 2.0

Edited by rnurmin

Ishimaru: If you have Longs Drugs around your area, check to see if they still have any PSP Bundle left for sale (they are clearing out those for $150). Most of the PSPs are old stock, which means the firmware can be easily upgrade/downgrade. So far I have seen firmware 1.52 and 2.0

The only one in my area was wiped clean due to the holidays and the guy gave me a quick rough explanation of that if I did not get it. And the other one has a number that only goes through for prescriptions only.Sorry I can't be much of help. :(

My local GameStop has loads of PSPs which have never sold and some do have the old firmware. They are in excellent condition and they do have a dozen or two of them.

Have you tried checking out the one in your area, or are they just being idiots in ripping you off with a outrageous price?

I know how you want to get bundle for a good price so I don't know if I should even be linking this, but this is where I got a majority of my information. There are pages and pages of posts, and pages are usually twice as long then the ones here at MW.

I hope it helps at least a bit in your findings.

Ouch, sorry to hear that the Longs in your area was wiped out clean.

I managed to buy one through Longs close by my work in early December. The PSP bundle comes with games: Hot Shot Golf and Ape Escape. With tax and other fees, my total is $168. I bought it since it is cheaper to buy through the retail store (cost $199 for the console only)

Edited by rnurmin

Ouch, sorry to hear that the Longs in your area was wiped out clean.

I managed to buy one through Longs close by my work in early December. The PSP bundle comes with games: Hot Shot Golf and Ape Escape. With tax and other fees, my total is $168. I bought it since it is cheaper to buy through the retail store (cost $199 for the console only)

Oh its ok, just didn't want to disappoint yah.

That seemed like a real good deal, was the firmware upgradeable to the PSX firmware?

(Someone should change the topic title so we can get more people into the thread.)

Well I did a down grade (2.71) and updrade of the modded Firmware. Nice plays my old ps1 NTSC stuff hopefully soon someone will rewrite it to allow PAL games too, then all my collection will work.

• 4 weeks later...

The newest firmware hackupgrade lets you also do iso`s of your roms and backed up UMDs. Cool now I can take several games with me crammed on the 1gig memstick and still have room in the UMD slot for one more.

Edited by big F

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know of a good site that has Macross VFX, VFX2, DYRL PSX roms? This thread got me going again. Going to revive my dorment PSP. Any help with be appreciated!

Eh I don't recommend you talking about Warez on these forums, or any forums.

But if you got the original copies of the game then you can just make a ISO using any Image Extracting program. Alcohol 120% is my best recommendation.

Eh I don't recommend you talking about Warez on these forums, or any forums.

But if you got the original copies of the game then you can just make a ISO using any Image Extracting program. Alcohol 120% is my best recommendation.

Hey thanks Ishimaru for the tip! I have to say...the reason I asked...truthfully Im just lazy to dig my originals up. No more talk about W#### from this end. Now its off hunt'n for treasure! I'll just have to dig them originals up and extract them babies!