20th Century Fox to make "Foundation?"

bsu legato

From Dark Horizons.com...

Foundation: 'The Crimson Brain' talks about a sci-fi trilogy in development over at Fox: "Twentieth Century Fox has just hired a writer to script two movies at the same time, ala "Lord of the Rings," these being the scripts to 'Foundation' and 'Second Foundation'. They tell the story of Hari Seldon and his science of psycho-history, which predicts the next thousand years of the human race. The future is put in jeopardy by the appearance of the Mule, a mutant who takes over the galaxy, and who can't have been part of Seldon's Plan. Fox obviously sees this as a sci-fi Lord of the Rings. The writer is Jeff Vintar, who penned next summer's Will Smith starrer "I, ROBOT" [based on his original screenplay "Hardwired," with characters and concepts from Asimov--a sort of early days at U.S. Robotics prequel to an intended series of robot films]. The plan for the Foundation movies is for a very faithful adaptation of the sci-fi classic, turning the trilogy of loosely-connected stories into two films. The director is Shekhar Kapur ('Elizabeth'), and the producer is Vince Gerardis. Vintar will begin work on the scripts when he completes his adaptation of the Vertigo comic book 'Y: The Last Man' for New Line Cinema, which David S. Goyer is producing".

I have yet to read the books, but as it's part of the "required reading" for students of the influences on Star Wars I have to say that this interests me greatly. For those who have read the series, can it be done? Can Foundation be filmed?

If this movie had been done 20 years ago, I might have had high hopes for it.  But since it is coming out today with today's mentality of making movies, I think Asimov really would roll over in his grave. :angry:

Agreed :(

Edited by Yoshi

If this movie had been done 20 years ago, I might have had high hopes for it. But since it is coming out today with today's mentality of making movies, I think Asimov really would roll over in his grave. :angry:

I disagree. There were a lot of crappy movies in the early eighties. The thing is that only the really good ones ever get remembered so it always seems like good ones were all that were ever made at the time. Same is true for a lot of things. It's hard to be objective about the past. Damn nostalgia.

As for Foundation, I'm not a big Asimov fan. I always found him to be dry and often arrogant, so I'm not really interested in films based on his works.

lol! Dry and arrogant??? you met him? mmm <_<

Anyway the foundation trilogy were awesome books... just like Lord of the rings, the movies would lack all those cool little details that make a story great. But i would definitely give it a try (hopefully they wont make poor Isaac roll over in his grave).

~Tico

Edited by Tico0001

sometimes dry. never arrogant. often hilarious. (read his fantasy or his dirty lymrics...)

the Foundation novels are great. being the "original" star wars, and having far more depth of plot and politics and character than ever Lucas could muster, they *could* be great as movies. I doubt it will translate to the big screen well however, as the tendency would be to add more violent action at the expense of solid plot and depth.

I'd approach it as a mystery/spy thriller with dark cinematography if I were porting it to film.

I think it would be very difficult to translate the Foundation series into movies. I'd be interested in seeing it if they could get someone like Peter Jackson who has done a great job with LOTR. I'll have to keep an eye out on this.

sometimes dry. never arrogant. often hilarious. (read his fantasy or his dirty lymrics...)

the Foundation novels are great. being the "original" star wars, and having far more depth of plot and politics and character than ever Lucas could muster, they *could* be great as movies. I doubt it will translate to the big screen well however, as the tendency would be to add more violent action at the expense of solid plot and depth.

I'd approach it as a mystery/spy thriller with dark cinematography if I were porting it to film.

I completely agree with you. And I guess it is dry sometimes. They should definitely approach it as mystery/dark movie.

Tico