I want DYRL on DVD, dang it!

danth

I'm dying to buy DYRL on DVD, but I don't want a bootleg. It just doesn't make sense that it hasn't been released as an R1 DVD.

DYRL came out as Clash of the Bionoids not too long after Robotech, but Harmony gold didn't sue anybody over it. Then, Macross 2 came out, and Harmony Gold didn't sue. Same with Macross Plus. And now we have the original Macross released on DVD, and Harmony Gold sells it on their site.

So why in the hell has nobody released DYRL on DVD? It does't seem like there' a legal issue here. I've heard people say they suspect an upcoming release of DYRL. Is there any reason to believe this?

And speaking of this, I want Macross 7 too.

Things change.

The original releasers of DYRL folded.

There's something like 4 companies that think they own the rights to a US release, and everyone's waiting for someone else to show their hand.

And HG probably WILL sue. If the defense lawyers are competent, it'll get thrown out fast, but they'll probably sue anyways.

If I recall, I think they tried to trademark DYRL's title recently too. That makes things uglier.

Macross 7 has HG and Japanese-side issues. The audio is licensed separately, and it's very expensive.

Edited by JB0

Things change.

The original releasers of DYRL folded.

There's something like 4 companies that think they own the rights to a US release, and everyone's waiting for someone else to show their hand.

And HG probably WILL sue. If the defense lawyers are competent, it'll get thrown out fast, but they'll probably sue anyways.

If I recall, I think they tried to trademark DYRL's title recently too. That makes things uglier.

Macross 7 has HG and Japanese-side issues. The audio is licensed separately, and it's very expensive.

It seems to me that if things can get done with Macross TV and the other Macross shows, then DYRL should'nt be a problem. What makes DYRL so different?

It seems to me that if things can get done with Macross TV and the other Macross shows, then DYRL should'nt be a problem. What makes DYRL so different?

Plus and 2 got out on DVD before HG "realized" they had exclusive rights to the franchise.

DYRL's been off the market for a long time, and that gives HG a bit of leverage on a new window.

Macross TV's US release is actually licensed FROM HG, and the source video used was HG's copy(given the current situation, Big West probably wouldn't have been very accommodating). So it's immune to legal bickering.

And as I said, not counting HG, there's several companies that think they own a piece of DYRL. So whoever releases is guaranteed legal hassle, even if HG ignores things. Plus and 2 have much "cleaner" licenses.

I'm not entirely clear on how the trademark issue affects things.

Also, is the market large enough to make it worthwhile? Of course there's the legal bills, but what I am mostly referring to is recouping the investment needed to create, manufacture, market, and sell enough DVDs to make a profit.

In Japan, the DVD has a sticker price of ï¿¥7,800*, which is very expensive. Implying that it had a low print run, and even of those produced, they still can be found new, gathering dust, a couple of years after their release. Not a big seller in any sense of the word.

* Comparissions (some prices as of 2006.11.12, and subject to change)

Ghost in the Shell (movie) ï¿¥3,800

Macross Zero ï¿¥5,000

MI:3 ï¿¥3,134

Divinci Code ï¿¥3,343

Pirates of the Caribbean ï¿¥1,200

The Usual Suspects ï¿¥1,200

Sound of Music ï¿¥1,000

Superman 1 & 2 Set ï¿¥2,222

Debate thread:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=153

And yes, DYRL? has many holders. Each waiting for the other to make a new move.

M7? If you are willing to fork over the money for 1 episode, I hope you have more of where that came from because the Japanese music companies is no better than the US music companies.