VF-2SS customized art

grebo guru

Ahoy there,

I've always been a huge fan of the VF-2SS. Macross II wasn't very good, but in my opinion the Valkyrie II was very, VERY good. I've always thought that it is actually the single best Variable Fighter retake we've ever gotten -- better than the VF-11, VF-19, VF-22, better than anything. Of course, I may be biased, as Kazumi Fujita is my favorite mecha designer...

Anyway, in my Macross RPG that I'm gonna run, the VF-2SS exists along with all the others. I call it the VF-12S. (I also use the VF-2JA as the VF-10... and the VF-0 as the VF-2, but that's another story.) Anyway, being a big fan of the VF-2SS, but NOT a fan of its ugly gunpod (as seen used with the cool SAP set), I used my photoshop powerz to work in the gunpod used by the VF-XS (Fujita's early design for the VF-2SS). Attached is the picture. I hope you all enjoy!

Grebo

post-4460-1161557376_thumb.jpg

Edited by grebo guru

Okay, here's my other customized work of the day.

As I said, I'm a big fan of the VF-2SS. I'm also not a fan of the VF-0. (Actually, I like the VF-0D much better than the J or S, but I digress.) However, I am quite fond of the look of the Reactive Armored VF-0. So, I figured I'd hijack the Reactive Armor and slap it on the VF-2SS. Now my RPG can have an Armored VF-12S Valkyrie II. Yay.

Anyway, here it is. Enjoy!

Grebo

post-4460-1161557543_thumb.jpg

I have to agree. That's a very cool looking Veritech. Its too bad I cant find ANY art on it anymore. In fact, what you have posted here is some of the best I have run across. The part where I disagree is I think the VF-0 is sweet... A little too sweet. Thats my problem with it. It looks TOO cool to come before the VF-1. It looks more like a cross between the VF1 and a YF19 or something. Anyway, nice work!

Woof woof!

I have to agree. That's a very cool looking Veritech.

Veritech?!? Well, I suppose an awful of Rowboatech-speak is used here, so I won't harp on it much. I do have to ask, though... I've wondered ever since I first saw the term used: Why is it vEritech and not vAritech? I mean, shouldn't it be vAritech, as in vAriable? What's the "e" mean? Is it vEritech, as in vEritable? "Truetech" if you will? Makes no sense to me.

Its too bad I cant find ANY art on it anymore. In fact, what you have posted here is some of the best I have run across.

Aw, it ain't that hard. There's several pieces posted all over the net. Although, in my case, I scanned the art right out of my books -- I have high-resolution versions too, but they'd be much too large to post here.

The part where I disagree is I think the VF-0 is sweet... A little too sweet. Thats my problem with it. It looks TOO cool to come before the VF-1. It looks more like a cross between the VF1 and a YF19 or something.

You hit the nail on the head. That's the problem I have with it as well. Hence, in my Macross RPG, I'm re-designating the VF-0 as the VF-2. My only other problem with the Phoenix is that its shape is a bit too modest -- however, I dig the VF-0D because of the little additions that make it snazzier. Bigger wings, canards, etc. In my RPG, all the VF-0s are gonna have those features.

Anyway, nice work!

Thank you sir!

Grebo

Don't go off of my spelling, I'm sure Im wrong. I originally saw Macross as Robotech, on Cartoon network, and other than DYRL, Macross Plus, and Macross Zero, I haven't actually SEEN SDF Macross, although I do already prefer it over Robotech. (Protoculture a fuel? COME ON! Proto (first) Culture (culture) errr, what the hell where they thinking?) But seeing as how I haven't actually seen it, I still mix and match the two quite a bit without realising it. I really liked some of the American voice actors and I'm waiting to find a Dub that I like, and can afford.

Grebo Guru,

That's certainly an interesting take on the Valkyrie II you've presented here. I see you borrowed the gunpod from Kazumi Fujita's original concept for the VF-2SS. I always thought that the original gunpod concept looked more robust than the one that made it into the animation. Bravo on the photoshop job, it looks very good, and almost like it belongs on that arm. Can't quite say I agree with trying to put the Macross II valkyries into the Macross Plus and Macross 7 eras. The design methodologies just don't match gracefully. Granted there is a passing resemblance between the battroid of the VF-2SS and the battroid of the VF-11 in the torso. Tacking the VF-0's ugly-as-hell reactive armor onto it is doing it quite an injustice though. I always thought the battroid armor (Reactive Armor VF-0, GBP-1), affectionately dubbed the "Twinkie Suit" by a good friend of mine, was a bad design.

I wouldn't quite say the VF-2SS looks like a cross between the YF-19 and the VF-1. I'd say it was closer to a cross between the VF-4 Lightning III and a more streamlined VF-1 Valkyrie.

Nanashi,

If you know your terminology is wrong, then you might want to double-check your posts before you make them. There are a lot of die-hard Robotech haters here, so the easiest way to avoid making lots of apologies and getting off track is to avoid even mentioning Robotech terminology. If you're looking for a half-decent english dub of Macross then you're in luck, ADV released one last year that's decent, but not fabulous. It's pretty cheap too, about $20 per volume. There's not a lot better out there, since it's remastered and the subtitles have actually been improved slightly from the AnimEigo edition.

As far as finding any mechanical designs or art from Macross II on the net, yeah, you're in for a difficult hunt nowadays. Most of the major sites that hosted the good stuff are gone, mostly victims of neglect by the webmasters running them. Of the few left, there are very very few good ones. unspacy.de has a few good pictures of the VF-2SS, but they're pretty much the same lineart that's posted here. The real Nanashi's Macross Mecha Designs page has the original Kazumi Fujita concepts up, but not much beyond that. MAHQ has two or three color images, but they're pretty grainy. Same goes for Macross2Mechas, which has their watermark smeared over anything they post, ruining it.

To the best of my knowledge, there are only two really good sites left... in the interest of fairness, I'll go in order of gallery size. McCain's UN Spacy Quartermaster's Tactical Database has a decent image gallery, maybe 200+ images of the various Macross II mecha designs. Of course, the site's webmaster has taken more than a little artistic licence with the mecha backstories and specs, so most if not all of the information presented there isn't canon.

My own site, Macross II: A Century of War, is under pretty heavy construction after moving to a new server and domain name, so our gallery isn't currently online. Our gallery is quite extensive, approximately 10,000 images. Including screen captures, official lineart, magazine scans, model kits, and custom art done by artists on our site and MacrossWorld. It ought to be back online sometime in November. My site also hosts a modest RPG group. Just for kicks, here's a VF-2SS done in Cobra Squad's paint scheme, created by HelloHikaru specifically for my site.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&id=28024

Arph arph,

So, Nanashi wrote:

Don't go off of my spelling, I'm sure Im wrong.
No, you're right all right. All over the net, in every published work I've ever seen, and heck, even on robotech.com the machine is referred to as a vEritech. I've never understood it.
I originally saw Macross as Robotech, on Cartoon network, and other than DYRL, Macross Plus, and Macross Zero, I haven't actually SEEN SDF Macross,
That's a shame. Great stuff. It's been a long time since I've watched it myself, admittedly.
although I do already prefer it over Robotech.
Commendable!
(Protoculture a fuel? COME ON! Proto (first) Culture (culture) errr, what the hell where they thinking?)
Well yes, but you can't really fault them for the term -- it does work. After all, another meaning for the word culture is "growing living material (as bacteria or viruses) cultivated in prepared nutrient media". And "proto" can mean "a form that is the ancestor of a related group" or, even better, chemically it means "having the least amount of a specified element or radical". So technically the term "protoculture" could refer to a kind of elemental organic fuel-soup.

Meanwhile, Seto Kaiba wrote:

That's certainly an interesting take on the Valkyrie II you've presented here.
Thanx!
I see you borrowed the gunpod from Kazumi Fujita's original concept for the VF-2SS. I always thought that the original gunpod concept looked more robust than the one that made it into the animation. Bravo on the photoshop job, it looks very good, and almost like it belongs on that arm.
Thanks very much, sir. Yeah, the original gunpod definitely has a lot to recommend it... the one as used with the Super Armed Valkyrie II just looks so awkward and drab. There are plenty of mecha designs by Ohata which I like, but that gunpod isn't one of them.
Can't quite say I agree with trying to put the Macross II valkyries into the Macross Plus and Macross 7 eras. The design methodologies just don't match gracefully.
I don't think the differences are prohibitively profound, though. Especially given that they'd be built by another company entirely -- Takachihoff, to be precise. Sure, some continuity needs to be tweaked a tiny bit, but really, who doesn't do that?

Now the Metal Siren... THAT I ain't going anywhere near. Although I like the basic idea behind it OK, the final product is ugly unimaginative, and just plain lame. It's gonna stay as far away from my game as the Fire Valkyrie is!

Tacking the VF-0's ugly-as-hell reactive armor onto it is doing it quite an injustice though.
Glad I'm not the only one who's not super fond of the Armored Phoenix. It is indeed ugly, although really, ugly can be an aesthetic all its own. The Japanese Battletech mechs, the mecha of Armored Core, and several other mecha designs from Miyatake/Nue/Kawamori are pretty darn ugly, but they're kinda endearing and admirable as well -- the kinda hypnotic allure of form following function and function defining form, etc etc...
I always thought the battroid armor (Reactive Armor VF-0, GBP-1), affectionately dubbed the "Twinkie Suit" by a good friend of mine, was a bad design.
Can't agree with you about the GBP-1, but to each his own.
I wouldn't quite say the VF-2SS looks like a cross between the YF-19 and the VF-1. I'd say it was closer to a cross between the VF-4 Lightning III and a more streamlined VF-1 Valkyrie.
Actually, you're absolutely right about that. I remember when I first saw the VF-XS, I was fascinated to discern from its design that it basically was a beefier, futurized VF-4.

Thanks for the feedback! More on the way, whenever I get around to it...

Grebo

Very nice fusion of the VF-2 and the VF-0's reactive armor!

Too bad you weren't able to modify it to look more proprietary to the VF-2...

Very nice nonetheless! B))

BTW, don't refer to the VF-0 as the "Phoenix", some on this board will bluntly point out that the VF-0 has never had a canon name attached to it by Studio Nue, so at present it is just the VF-0.

If I had to name it, I'd call it the "Loki", staying with the Norse gods theme and implying it's tricky nature as a variable fighter, but that's just me... ;)

Edited by Zinjo

Looks great! I always loved the VF-2SS. I loved the model even more since the nose actually rectracted in one piece. The uparmored version looks cool too. Something I wouldn't want to meet down a dark alley.

I really love VF-2SS design and i really hope that someday Yamato would come out something for us. That is my wish and if that day would come, i'm sure tones of macross fan would love this baby. Well, i personally would. The plane looks AWESOME. That's that. :p

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I've been fiddling around some, and I managed to transplant the head of the VF-XS onto the body of the VF-2SS. Adding on a more classical sensor (as opposed to the VF-XS's total lack of any kind of "eye") yields a pretty workable "VF-2A". Attached are color and lineart versions.

Grebo!

post-4460-1163298186_thumb.jpg

post-4460-1163298206_thumb.jpg

Okay, I've been fiddling around some, and I managed to transplant the head of the VF-XS onto the body of the VF-2SS. Adding on a more classical sensor (as opposed to the VF-XS's total lack of any kind of "eye") yields a pretty workable "VF-2A". Attached are color and lineart versions.

Grebo!

Hey dude, try the head off this battroid and see if it doesn't work...

http://members.shaw.ca/zinjo4/Index/PIX/VF...A1_battroid.jpg

What, the Schneeblume? I dunno, I'm rathter fond of the SW-XA1 as it is. If I swiped its head for the VF-2SS, what would the now-headless Snowdrop use? :blink:

For more head-transplanting madness, check out the customized VF-2RA I've put in another thread...

Hey dude, try the head off this battroid and see if it doesn't work...

Oh, and here's another tweak I did on my favorite VF.

The lineart of the VF-XS has a really nice shot from the rear of the fighter with its airbrakes/leg panels open. I was disappointed that this particular shot was never done for the VF-2SS. So, I photoshopped it up! The result is attached.

Grebo

post-4460-1163368645_thumb.jpg

Oh, and here's another tweak I did on my favorite VF.

The lineart of the VF-XS has a really nice shot from the rear of the fighter with its airbrakes/leg panels open. I was disappointed that this particular shot was never done for the VF-2SS. So, I photoshopped it up! The result is attached.

Grebo

It is kind of sad they didn't think to throw micro missiles into the airbrakes similar to the ones used on the Wasp fighter in Gall Force II...

Edited by Zinjo

Yeah. I've often wondered if those airbrakes/panels would make good housings for missiles (micro or full-scale air-to-air type).

It is kind of sad they didn't think to throw micro missiles into the airbrakes similar to the ones used on the Wasp fighter in Gall Force II...

Yeah... a Yamato toy of the VF-2SS would be mucho sweet. I can't imagine why Kawamori would say he hates the VF-2SS, but that's what I've heard.

All I've ever heard SK say about Mac II is that he's never seen it, therefore has no opinion of it. Now I suspect that's just his way of avoiding any commentary on it, but I expect he's seen it out of curiosity, as anyone would...

Kawamori minions tend to "assume" he hates it, eventhough there is no published comments made by him about it .

Edited by Zinjo

Alright, well, here's another head transplant for youse-all... the VF-2JS, I suppose you'd call it. It is, of course, the VF-2JA head on the VF-2SS body. I did this because I would like all VFs to have a standard assortment of heads (A, J, and S at the very least). And since I've opted to transplant the VF-1R series of heads to the VF-2JA, the 2JA's head can now serve as the VF-2SS's J-model head. The picture is attached.

Grebo

post-4460-1163697472_thumb.jpg

Alright, well, here's another head transplant for youse-all... the VF-2JS, I suppose you'd call it. It is, of course, the VF-2JA head on the VF-2SS body. I did this because I would like all VFs to have a standard assortment of heads (A, J, and S at the very least). And since I've opted to transplant the VF-1R series of heads to the VF-2JA, the 2JA's head can now serve as the VF-2SS's J-model head. The picture is attached.

Grebo

Nice! :D

Thanks, Zinjo and Seto.

Yeah, I think the side-view head works quite well. The face-front 2JA head is from a smaller image, and unfortunately the result is a clash in line weights. I can touch it up a little, and hopefully a coloring will also mitigate the effect.

dude... I can't believe I'm saying this, but that TOTALLY works.

Okay, here's the trio -- A, J, and S. I managed to work up a side view of the A head. And you'll surely notice that I'm calling it the VF-12. This is, of course, for my own RPGing purposes.

Grebo!!

Hmm I would have thought you'd call it the VF-32 or something like that, since the time of Mac II takes place approximately 80 years after SDFM...

Nope! ^_^

I prefer to set my game(s) in the latter 2040s, ala Macross VF-X and VF-X 2... but I like several of the elements from Macross II, so I'm "porting" them into a universe more similar to the Kawamori-approved one. (With many tweaks, of course.) Doing this allows players access to any and all VFs from any and all stories.

I envision the Icarus and the Valkyrie II as being contemporaries of the VF-11, but made by a rival company (Takachihoff) -- therefore, I've redubbed them the VF-10 and VF-12, respectively.

Greebles

Ahh I see...

Nope! ^_^

I prefer to set my game(s) in the latter 2040s, ala Macross VF-X and VF-X 2... but I like several of the elements from Macross II, so I'm "porting" them into a universe more similar to the Kawamori-approved one. (With many tweaks, of course.) Doing this allows players access to any and all VFs from any and all stories.

I envision the Icarus and the Valkyrie II as being contemporaries of the VF-11, but made by a rival company (Takachihoff) -- therefore, I've redubbed them the VF-10 and VF-12, respectively.

Greebles