What 2 Do W/dead Xbox Any Place Buys The Cores?

Dax415

okay my xbox finally played its last game...even had enough juice to spit out my game before it died. according to what the xbox rep said there is an internal problem with it (it flashes green then red) and there is no guarantee they can fix it. My question is there a place that buys back the core? I remember when my first ps one died, Funcoland offered $20 for the core towards the purchase of a refurbished ps one (which i have to this day, still works too). i already bought a refurbished xbox with a one year warranty, it was just a little more than what the xbox rep quoted me for repair cost plus it had a better warranty too. although i doubt it, perhaps ebay? maybe one of you guys has the skill to repair it....i don't know. thanks

Noticed the video game wizards weren't on yesterday, hopefully one of you guys will be on today. I don't want to waste a potentially salvageable core so any help with this would be appreciated. Later on I hope it doesn't bother anyone if I bump the thread.

okay my xbox finally played its last game...even had enough juice to spit out my game before it died.  according to what the xbox rep said there is an internal problem with it (it flashes green then red) and there is no guarantee they can fix it.  My question is there a place that buys back the core?  I remember when my first ps one died, Funcoland offered $20 for the core towards the purchase of a refurbished ps one (which i have to this day, still works too).  i already bought a refurbished xbox with a one year warranty, it was just a little more than what the xbox rep quoted me for repair cost plus it had a better warranty too.  although i doubt it, perhaps ebay?  maybe one of you guys has the skill to repair it....i don't know.  thanks

408962[/snapback]

Do you have the original Xbox or the 360? So the original Xbox uses the "red ring of death", too?

You could try ghosting the hard drive to a PC then place the ghost on a new HD if you have one. That might fix it.

Or you could at least keep the HD and install it into your PS2. I've known a lot of people who have done that when their xbox fried. that is, if the HD is good.

I can't remember if it was confirmed but someone I know thought their might be some removable memory in the xbox.

Last option...try ebay

You could try ghosting the hard drive to a PC then place the ghost on a new HD if you have one.  That might fix it.

Or you could at least keep the HD and install it into your PS2.  I've known a lot of people who have done that when their xbox fried.  that is, if the HD is good.

I can't remember if it was confirmed but someone I know thought their might be some removable memory in the xbox.

Last option...try ebay

409491[/snapback]

would you happen to know what exactly what HD would be best to try this out? do i just look on the box and try to match the specs with the replacement HD? unfortunately i do not know much about computers, i have a friend who has some rudimentary skills but he is on vacation at the moment. any help would be appreciated.

@ Apollo Leader yes the original xbox uses the red ring of death too. though i take it that its not a good sign the 360 does as well. does this mean your 360 died? such a early death for such a new system,...that is why i have decided to wait on buying a 360..besides not enough games are out for it.

@ Apollo Leader  yes the original xbox uses the red ring of death too.  though i take it that its not a good sign the 360 does as well.  does this mean your 360 died?  such a early death for such a new system,...that is why i have decided to wait on buying a 360..besides not enough games are out for it.

409630[/snapback]

Nope, my 360 has worked just fine since I got it November last year. I have probably used this sytem more at this point in its life time then any other new system I have had for the same amount of time. So far, so good. :) But yeah, sounds like both Xbox's use the same mechanism to warn of console death. :(

You can't do the HD swamp thing unless your Box is modded because each HD is harcoded with a serial number to match it to the motherboard of the Xbox.

409648[/snapback]

Bummer, unless there are other suggestions or ideas looks like it will be going to ebay. with some luck maybe i'll get $45 for it...

well in case anyone was wondering, gamestop will give $20 for a busted xbox...more if its still working (how much i don't know).

@vf-zx2 you might want to see how much busted ones are going for on ebay as well as what eb games will give you. looks like ebay is the better bet though.

Do you have a digital camera?  I might be interested in buying the DVD drive of your xbox, but I'd need a picture of the tray ejected from the xbox to see if it's the one I want.

410637[/snapback]

just got a phone with a digital camera, once i figure it out i will post a pic...hopefully that will do.