Does anyone have any love for the Bandai 1/144s?

Macross_Fanboy

The VF-11C was the first Macross model I've built so far. The paint job is customized. I gave it a Hikaru TV/Movie look B) . And the overall paintjob is okay, I've yet to master my skills with the brush. I want an airbrush but they cost a lot. The next two I'm going to buy will be a Queadluun-Rau and the Nousjadel-Ger. And maybe the VF-19 Fire Valkyrie.

I love all of the Mac7 1/144 kits (My avatar is my VF-11C kit) - I've got a pile of them left to do (mostly Tect gerwalk conversion kits). I love small kits as I can get them built faster, since II also do all my work by hand without an airbrush. Get the VF-17 kit - it easy to do with it's all black paint scheme. However, don't expect the quality of the older Zentraedi kits from the original series that you mention to come even close to the Mac7 kits. The Zentraide kits do not snap together, and fit together poorly - you will need to putty large gaps. You might want to consider staying away from them until you have more kits under your belt.

Edited by Phil

The VF-17 kit comes with heads/stickers for both the A and S versions. There is no 1/144 VF-19 aside from the Fire Valk. However, Tect makes resin conversion kits to convert a Fire Valk into a VF-19 F/S. These are extremely rare, however although you will see them popup on ebay and the message boards here (blackaces seems to get them every so often).

Edited by Phil

I have all 4 of the M7 1/144 kits but they are amongst the 550 odd unbuilt kits currently stacked in my workshop so I can't really comment on them. I also have the Rau and Ger and although its a few years since I built them I don't recall them needing too much work, sure they aren't snap together but I've built plenty of kits which fit far worse than those two.

Nice diorama Phil, I love diorama work myself but space limitations mean I can rarely indulge, even with 1/144 scale kits.

The Bandai kits aren't rare, they just finished a rerelease of it and you can find them anywhere. The tect kits are rare, since there hasn't been a release since 1996. Its difficult to find people who has any, but if anybody has them and are willing to sell... Im interested in buying...

mooka

My next project will be four VF-11Cs pertaining to Skull Squadron! But here's the conundrum...where do I get Skull Squadron decals for 1/144s? :unsure: Were Roy and Hikaru and Kakizaki still alive they'd be flying them. :( ~sniffles~

Edited by Macross_Fanboy