New HG Evangelion?

Hey everyone,

Saw this on HLJ. A listing for a new Bandai HG Eva-01. Anyone know what this is all about?

Edit: Oh yeah. Two new MG listings also. Char's Z'Gok and the Perfect Gundam. As well as the Gaplant HGUC. Thought you'd all like to know if you haven't heard yet.

Edited by Alpha Omega

Interesting, I wonder what will be different, the original kits arn't that bad as it is. I bet they will make the arms with joints instead of being rubber. Probably a whole lot of joints everywhere. But see, this sucks, a friend of mind gave me all the EVA kits and I've only built a couple out of the stack, now there is a new version?

If anything, I would imagine a new HG Eva would have a MG inspired skeletal frame, like the God, Master, or now the Aile Strile Gundams.

If so, they might be worth a look.

If they do use the internal frame, I hope they don't try to use the rubber under-skin like on the PG eva-01 kit, it doesnt help the kit's posability.

Same here. The rubbed suit the PG had made the gaps look pretty good, but it was an extreme pain to get it on, and line up the holes. It did hamper it's posibility, too. Never figured out how to get the PG eva to move like the pictures, I was too afraid to break it trying, as stiff as it was.

The old HG's weren't bad, but the joints were weak, and the detail was only so-so. Standard for when the old kits were made, though. A MG quality Eva series would be pretty nice to see.

That full armor thing is pretty weird, I can't say I like it at all....

The thing is, if they remake one Eva, they are going to remake them all, some of the old kits could really use an upgrade too 05 with hose angel wings.

But see, I saw sure, the old HGs have some problems, but they are pretty good kits with nice proportions. They should just go straight to MG kits with these, increase the scale an inch with tons of articulation. Shiny ABS armor with undergating so they can plate them metallic colors.

The other thing is, I just bought the chogokins, a new HG had better be mindblowing. I'd rather them give me a new PG Eva.

That full armor thing is a bit odd. What's with the fin in front of the Eva's face. Improved aero dynamics maybe?

I kinda wish they'd make the Eva's more like the MG's also. The current HG kits are cool. The only gripe I've ever had was the articulation in the arms. How they couldn't twist and such.

I only got the Chogokin Unit-01. The cost of the other ones was prohibitive, and until now, the Kaiyodo figures I have for the rest have been fine. MG-caliber models might make me upgrade, as long as the poseability is there.

That armor is something someone cooked up for the new video game, and a huge, useless mistake. An eva does not need GBP armor. Not how it was designed to fight.

Bloody Hell, he could be right! I for one would like to see this armor put into a model form, but i will be blasting the odd "chest-fin" out of there.

"Gainax, the creators of Evangelion, are milking the show for all it's worth in this year's ?grevival?h push, and Bandai is producing a new PlayStation 2 video game of the characters and machines from that unique universe. In that, the main machine, the purple Evangelion prototype, appears in a new version, and Bandai is wasting no time producing a model kit of it."

-HLJ ( http://www.hlj.com/cgi-perl/hljpage.cgi?BAN922733 )

I'm curious... does anybody know who designed the Full Armor version we're talking about here? Is it the same as the original EVA designer?

Either way, I kinda dig it - just because I dig armor. I gotta think that the chest fin is a weird touch, though.

wow, that has got to be one of the ugliest pieces of junk I've seen in a long time. why does an eva need armor anyway? just find some way to let it go kick ass crazy all the time and you can't lose! then you can just eat all your enemies and poop them out for NERV to clean up. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's the official pic. I dunno. It's kinda odd, but it's kinda cool at the same time. I'm glad to see that they got rid of the rubber arms from the previous releases.

http://www.hlj.com/images/ban/ban922733.jpg

Edited by Alpha Omega

There is no basis for the eva to need armor, in fact it defeats the purpose. The Eva's were intended for hand-to-hand combat, hence they needed to be agile, and the armor they already had was more than sufficient, and also served to restrain the Eva itself. The AT field was what really protected it. There are 2 things that can bring down an Eva: An Angel (or other Eva by same definition) or a positron cannon with enough juice like they used against the diamond shaped angel and tried to use against the angelic one in orbit that mentally attacked Asuka. All that armor would do would add a few missles (if it even has any, haven't seen anything about weaponry), it looks to me like it seals off the prog knife, and it would weigh the eva down. Maybe add some battery life. That might be a small saving grace, but that still doesn't say much. It's useless, rather hideous and I have to wonder if they even passed that one by Anno or Sadamoto for approval before tossing it into the game.

If anything, use the riot-type shield they designed for Unit-04

Edited by Anubis

I agree with everyone else here. Why would they do this?

1) It seems to run counter to everything the show taught me about EVA units.

2) It is really laughably ugly. The Antithesis of an EVA really.

Horrible, horrible desicion.

(and I'm usually pretty moderate in my condemnation of ventures such as this...)