Adventures Of Superboy

Just wondering if the late 80's /early 90's live action Superboy show was any good. I am a big fan of Smallville and just thought it might be neat to check Superboy out on dvd. Anyone who watched it, place your insights and comments here. Tanx!

Just wondering if the late 80's /early 90's live action Superboy show was any good.  I am a big fan of Smallville and just thought it might be neat to check Superboy out on dvd.  Anyone who watched it, place your insights and comments here.  Tanx!

398387[/snapback]

Not really, I have watched both, and only own DVD's of Smallville, if that is any indication. Pretty corny, and not quite as cool as the Flash tv series from around the same time. The first Superboy(John Haymes Newton) they had on there was ok, but when they replaced him with the other(Gerard Christopher), they kind of lost me. And in no way shape or form did they have any villain that can compete with Michael Rosenbaum's portrayl of Lex Luthor. I highly doubt that even Kevin Spacey can eclipse him in my mind as the definitive version of Lex.

I say check them out. The series had appearances by Mettallo & Bizarro. There was also  storylines where Superboy went into Alternate Universes and met different versions of himself.

398457[/snapback]

I was reading some episode synopsises. Yes, they had some of the DC villians so i am curious to how they portrayed them...As I recall it was a half an hour show, with limited budget(you know what i mean-special effects) so on some levels it may seem corny... but then again i hear that alot about Star Trek TOS.

Maybe i'll rent it first...

i have S1to 4 of Smaville on dvd too btw

I was reading some episode synopsises. Yes, they had some of the DC villians so i am curious to how they portrayed them...As I recall it was a half an hour show, with limited budget(you know what i mean-special effects) so on some levels it may seem corny... but then again i hear that alot about Star Trek TOS.

Maybe i'll rent it first...

i have S1to 4 of Smaville on dvd too btw

398497[/snapback]

Back in the days it was a saturday afternoon show; so it didn't have a primetime budget but it wasn't entirely a kid's show either. Some episodes were a little dark but overall it was a fun show. Lot of the enemies were good translations; not perfect but were enjoyable.

I liked My Secret Identity better...

398418[/snapback]

LOL, his Secret Identity was supposed to be "Ultra Man"

I always thought that was great. Loved the theme song to that show.

As for Superboy, at least the second actor they had for him looks more like Superman than the current one in Superman Returns.

Superboy:

superboygerardstacey18bp.jpg

Superman:

0696229013.jpg

Edited by ComicKaze

Strange Super Boy is holding her up in a way in which the bottom of her skirt still covers her bottom.   What is the chance of that happening.

398680[/snapback]

I don't think that's a skirt but baggy shorts. Hey man, it was the 90's and baggy pokadot shorts were all the rave.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

I remember the Superboy show from my childhood, it was pretty good for the time, kept me watching it. The 1st Superboy actor keeps popping up at conventions for signings.

p.s. I hateed My Secret Identity, the shwo was hokey and I hated the powers the kid had, especially flying with aersol cans? HOKEY!

p.s. I hateed My Secret Identity, the shwo was hokey and I hated the powers the kid had, especially flying with aersol cans? HOKEY!

398923[/snapback]

It's called being fun and not taking itself too seriously. But sorry if I distracted you from reading THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN TPB for the 600th time.

I remember the Superboy show from my childhood, it was pretty good for the time, kept me watching it. The 1st Superboy actor keeps popping up at conventions for signings.

398923[/snapback]

That's one of the few realistic depictions of physics in a superhero show. He has no actual method of propulsion in the air, just a way to make himself weightless. Therefore he needs aerosol cans to propel himself. Would you prefer he flapped?

Hey why the punked response like that? I submitted my opinion on the show and you think I obsess over the comics. I just didn't like the show, if you did fine by you. Go back to playing with your toys for the 600th time and continue with your self-loathing. Have a nice day!

p.s. Flapping would've been interesting, maybe even more environmentally friendly than using the aerosol l cans.

398923[/snapback]

It's called being fun and not taking itself too seriously. But sorry if I distracted you from reading THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN TPB for the 600th time.

398998[/snapback]

Edited by baronv