About Yamto 1/48 Hands

pirata

Hi everybody. As fas as I know, there are 3 types of hands in Yamatos 1/48:

1) small, poseable: I have them in my Roy Fokker. They dont hold the gunpod tightly. They are so small that they don't look good.

2) unposeable, robot-like hands: sold with the GBP armour. They look good.

3) unposeable, human-like hands: sold with the mass production versions. They don't look good. They look too human-like.

I'd like to know the following:

1) I plan on buying one of the new VF-1J Stealth super strike. It features a set of 4 hands of type 3, I think (am I wrong?). I don't like them, so I wonder if the same VF-1J, sold without the fast pack, features also hands type 3, 2 or 1. Any owner here who can tell me?

2) Do unposeable hands actually hold the gunpod firmely? Much more than poseable hands?

3) Can unposeable hands be hidden in the forearm, like poseable hands?

Thanks!!

All 1/48s come with the style 1, DYRL "chicken hands" that fold inside the forearms so that perfect transformation is possible.

The style 2, DYRL "robot hands" only come with the GBP. They look good with the armor, but are a bit big on a naked valk. They will not fit inside the forearms, but hold the gunpod well.

The style 3, TV "fat hands" come with the non-FAST Pack Stealth VF-1J as well as the Super/Strike Stealth. They also come with the three 1J Super valks, the non-FAST Pack TV Hikaru 1J, and the 1A Cannon Fodder. They also will not fit inside the forearms, but hold the gunpod better than the chicken hands.

Some of the members here have made custom DYRL style robot hands that hold the gunpod better and look way better than the chicken hands, but I'm not sure if they're still available. I believe it was Eternal D, but I'm not 100% sure. Also, he, Neova, and nightmareB4macross are in the process of making more custom hands. These may be style 2 recasts or something altogether different - I don't know. Here's a link you may be interested in. Here's another from Neova. You could also PM them for more details.

Oh, and welcome to Macross World.

Edited by Die, Alien Scum!

My main problem isn't so much holding the gunpod so much as weak wrists.

I plan on getting those posable DYRL hands IF they can get them 5 finger articulation.

I think the solution if you are not happy with the limp-wristed chicken hands is to pull the hand off the wrist hinge (don't worry it won't break), and stuff little bits of thin paper into the holes in the sides of the hand to make the wrist a little bit more stiff. The right hand has a wrist slightly more stiff than a left hand but if you want a stiffer left wrist, this is a stopgap solution that can tighten it slightly. The gun pod is just too much weight on such a small hinge so you can't really expect much and learn to accept a bit of wiggle on the hand.

Sometimes I like to have my cannon fodder holding two gunpods at once in gerwalk mode like the YF-21. :D

What they need is some kind of ratcheted wrist joint which is made out of that rubbery gummy material to add friction. The wobbly wrist can be annoying.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I plan on getting those posable DYRL hands IF they can get them 5 finger articulation.

397255[/snapback]

Do you mean somebody is going to make 5 finger hands, which look like robot hands (not organic), and that hold the gunpod well?

I also tried to make articulated hands...about midway when I was making my non-poseable hands. I wanted it to be prefect sized, not overly huge but just couldnt' do it with what I had to work with. I had the 4 digits workedout...but coudlnt' work out the joints connecting to the palm.

I'd really like to see how Neova's sculptor goes about this as I'd really like to see this happen, but again, I dont' want it to be overly huge like the GBP DYRL hands are.

• 2 weeks later...
All 1/48s come with the style 1, DYRL "chicken hands" that fold inside the forearms so that perfect transformation is possible.

The style 2, DYRL "robot hands" only come with the GBP. They look good with the armor, but are a bit big on a naked valk. They will not fit inside the forearms, but hold the gunpod well.

The style 3, TV "fat hands" come with the non-FAST Pack Stealth VF-1J as well as the Super/Strike Stealth. They also come with the three 1J Super valks, the non-FAST Pack TV Hikaru 1J, and the 1A Cannon Fodder. They also will not fit inside the forearms, but hold the gunpod better than the chicken hands.

Some of the members here have made custom DYRL style robot hands that hold the gunpod better and look way better than the chicken hands, but I'm not sure if they're still available. I believe it was Eternal D, but I'm not 100% sure. Also, he, Neova, and nightmareB4macross are in the process of making more custom hands. These may be style 2 recasts or something altogether different - I don't know. Here's a link you may be interested in. Here's another from Neova. You could also PM them for more details.

Oh, and welcome to Macross World.

397251[/snapback]

Thanks for the very informative post about the 1/48 hand types and where they are available.

I'd love to get more of type 3 - anyone know if Yamato sells them separately? Since I can't read japanese, I wasn't sure if the beginning of the transformation instruction book (where they show you how to apply decals) was also a parts list.

:huh:

Yamato does not sell the TV fat hands separately. They've been recast by a few members here, but I don't know if they are currently available.

401138[/snapback]

Thanks for the reply. Guess I will keep looking at the forums and see if anyone decides to make some more.